Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mighty Magpie's Offseason Trade and List Management Blog

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Culprit wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:
Jack Watts could do with a fresh start, age fits our profile and he is the size we are after for a KPF or KPB role. https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-melbourne-demons--jack-watts

Despite being a former #1 pick his price might be affordable with the chips we have.
Will slot into our squad more than anyone else. He wants out, the Dees want him out and deal can be done. We had the same problem with a #1 draft pick in Jason McCartney who nearly played 200 games and would have had he not been burnt so bad in the Bali bombing.

I'd take Tom Lynch over him in a heartbeat, but I suspect Lynch will not be available and if he is we are unlikely to have the chips (even if we can get around the making 2 first round picks in 4 years issue).

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-gold-coast-suns--thomas-lynch

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:20 pm

The more I look at Gold Coast's list and think about their issues I wonder (dream) about adding Lynch, May, Day, McKenzie and Hall.
jatsad 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:37 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
One for the haters: https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/09/01/waldron-pies-blew-lever-chance/

Waldron' a flog.

He now blames us and jumps on the Melbourne bandwagon as all the talk is that the Dees are in prime position.

Why do we give him airtime?

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:00 pm

How would we secure him anyway? Can't use first rounder unless we trade into the first round again somehow.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:46 am

MightyMagpie wrote:
One for the haters: https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/09/01/waldron-pies-blew-lever-chance/

Yeah we blew it by virtue of:

* not sacking our coach in round 17
* keeping stability at our club in spite of 78 negative "slobbo articles"
* completed a full scale review instead of flippant decisions

Yeah Brian, Lever would be really put off by such stability!!

E 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:54 am

MightyMagpie wrote:
Culprit wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:
Jack Watts could do with a fresh start, age fits our profile and he is the size we are after for a KPF or KPB role. https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-melbourne-demons--jack-watts

Despite being a former #1 pick his price might be affordable with the chips we have.
Will slot into our squad more than anyone else. He wants out, the Dees want him out and deal can be done. We had the same problem with a #1 draft pick in Jason McCartney who nearly played 200 games and would have had he not been burnt so bad in the Bali bombing.

I'd take Tom Lynch over him in a heartbeat, but I suspect Lynch will not be available and if he is we are unlikely to have the chips (even if we can get around the making 2 first round picks in 4 years issue).

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-gold-coast-suns--thomas-lynch

Yes, and i'd prefer Buddy, Brown, Cameron, Daniher or Kennedy but let's be serious about this. these guys probably arent available. Obviously a sane person would prefer Lynch over Watts. He is one of the best players in the league. in a big market, he'd be the talk of the town. He would become our focal point, even over Darcy Moore. Lynch would be amazing. Now, back to reality.

watts is not a bad pick up for the type of player we need to the extent he is available.

E 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:59 am

Wokko wrote:
How would we secure him anyway? Can't use first rounder unless we trade into the first round again somehow.

How about a serious package of players so that they can rebuild depth. I'm thinking like 5 players who are AFL caliber and at least one of them who is tracking to be a star.

What do you think of a package that includes

DeGoey, Faz, Maynard, Thomas, Keefe.

I think DeGoey is going to be an elite talent in this league. Maybe Scharenberg instead of DeGoey?

if you were Gold Coast, would you take it?

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:27 pm

^^My understanding is we can use our first round pick, both this year's and next. I'd not be giving up two of our most promising young players even for Lynch. One at most along with our first pick and probably a second.

Pick 6, De Goey, 2018 2nd rounder is a very fair deal.

My preference would be to keep De Goey though. Giving up an older player for leadership at the Suns could be an option instead: Pendles or Sidebottom. Would also help free up the required cap space. A lower value young player could be possible as well: Scharenberg, Maynard.

I think we definitely have the assets to work a deal, now we just need him to actually want to leave for Pie land.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:29 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
^^My understanding is we can use our first round pick, both this year's and next. I'd not be giving up two of our most promising young players even for Lynch. One at most along with our first pick and probably a second.

My preference would be to keep De Goey though. Giving up an older player for leadership at the Suns could be an option instead: Pendles or Sidebottom. Would also help free up the required cap space. A lower value young player could be possible as well: Scharenberg, Maynard.

I think we definitely have the assets to work a deal, now we just need him to actually want to leave for Pie land.

The club will be building our team around De Goey and Maynard, so to suggest either of them could be up for trade is ridiculous.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:30 pm

I don't think Watts is what we need as he's never been a KPP. His ball use and decision making out of defence would be handy, but with a number of medium HBFs on our list, it's not a position of need. He'd not be high on my list of targets.

The fact that, as an experienced player, he was dropped a couple of times this year for lack of effort says stay well away.

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:31 pm

Hopper has re-signed with GWS.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:33 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:

AFL will not sign off on a trade of a first rounder this year or next unless we demonstrate a reasonable basis to expect we will comply with the 2 picks in 4 years rule. That would have to involve the trading of a first rounder back in.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:36 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

The club will be building our team around De Goey and Maynard, so to suggest either of them could be up for trade is ridiculous.

For pretty much anyone else, I agree, but for Lynch it is not. He's a player that immediately transforms our team. We wouldn't want to, but if Maynard was the only player we had to give up (along with picks), we'd do it in a heartbeat. We'd have to think a bit more about De Goey but would likely still do it.

We'd be losing one of the players we're building a team around and adding another. Lynch as a potential elite KPF has higher value than De Goey and far higher than Maynard and addresses our main point of weakness.

Big T 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:04 pm

Why would we throw out so much talent for Lynch? It's crazy talk.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:01 pm

Because Lynch is one of the top 3 key forwards in the league.

A genuine focal point that can actually kick straight.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16   

Jump to: