Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Leadership the new wave

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:46 pm
Post subject: Leadership the new waveReply with quote

Firstly let me say that I admire Pendles as much as any player I've seen wear the black and white. His record when he retires will new second to none maybe missing only a Brownlow
What I'm about to propose can only be done with Pendles full support and backing. If he isn't behind it then it simply can't happen.

In 2018 I think we start generation next with our leadership group.
As I said above Pendles place in our history can never be questioned but his best contribution may be stepping aside as skipper and helping generation next get ready for when his time as a player is done.
Adams has shown the past month with Pendles out sharing the captaincy role with Sidey that he has all the attributes to be a leader in his own right.
His form has been the most consistent and best he's shown in all aspects of the game. You can see the 21-25yr old players gravitate towards him without question and I think both he and Sidey have upped there games in the skippers absence and both should be commended for that.
However our next skipper should be someone who will be coming into his best football years over the next 5 years.
Sidey might be a fair choice but his at the age now we're these are his best years and I wonder if we burden him with full time captaincy might stifle his strengths as a player. It's not a knock on Sidey I admire his willingness to have changed his natural game style in Pendles absence to fill in as a inside mid more often (yes I'm his harshest critic) but we haven't seen the natural side of his game while Pendles has been out. Has this disadvantaged the side ? I believe it has
Adams seems more suited to the role and has shown by actions he can lead by both voice and performance.
Freeing both Pendles and Sidey up just to play football and offer assistance as senior players I believe makes us a far better and more balanced side.
Along with Adams I would put in Grundy Moore and Treloar. All are in that age bracket to grow as a group and support each other and all are certain to hold there spots in our best 22.
This is only a personal opinion and like I said if Pendles wasn't comfortable with it then it can't happen
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I loved that you gave me a paragraph. then my eyes went all fuzzy. Stupid old bung eyes I have
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:01 pm

I think Adams and Treloar are the two obvious ones to lead the club into the future until Moore is old enough to be considered for the job. Grundy and Howe are more useful vice captains than actual captains to lead the club.
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:01 pm

Agree with everything the OP stated. I think relieving Pendles would be a great thing for all concerned.
Only thing I'd add is to maybe consider Jeremy Howe in a leadership capacity too.
Dawesy31 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:07 pm

tend to agree with this. Pendles will be free of Captaincy burden to play his natural game.

Adams as Captain

Sidey & Howe: Vice Captains

Treloar, Moore, Grundy: Leadership group
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:58 pm

Adams should be captain. The way he's raised his game in the skippers absence is telling.
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:19 pm

And when his kicking costs us games? Can't send the captain to the vfl can we?
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:23 pm

woodys_world69 wrote:

You can be the one on the selection committee to tell him he's been dropped to the VFL.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:30 pm

woodys_world69 wrote:

I get your point Woodys prior to being co captain in Pendles absence his overall kicking was at times very ordinary agreed. Over the last month his eff has hovered by game between 74% -88% plus he has kicked more goals in the past month than he had all season including a equal career high. His overall output across nearly every stat is up and his bad stats like clangers turnovers etc are down.
To me that sounds like a guy who wants and desires the extra responsibility.
Invigoration 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:29 pm

woodys_world69 wrote:

For us to be considering ever sending Adams to the VFL we either magically recruited about 20 absolute guns or it's 8 years in the future and he is coming to the end of his career

Edit: Next captain for sure by the way. Genuine leader, possesses a lot of traits that Maxy had

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:33 pm

it's 8 years in the future and he is coming to the end of his career.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:32 pm

Dawesy31 wrote:
tend to agree with this. Pendles will be free of Captaincy burden to play his natural game.

Adams as Captain

Sidey & Howe: Vice Captains

Treloar, Moore, Grundy: Leadership group

This is the set up I like the best.

I have been longing for a captain in the image of Nick Maxwell and Adams is the natural choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: