Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pick 5,6 or 7

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't over complicate things. Just take the best player. This will probably be a midfielder, but we can easily rotate mids through the forward line.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:50 pm

What defines the "best player"? Our needs or the general consensus?

We should have what our needs are and have rated all players in the draft according to those.

If we draft another fkn half back flanker, unless he can beat Ussain Bolt in a 50m sprint and hit a target on the chest from 60m, I'll lead the peasants revolt to the Holden centre with fire and pitchforks.

We need talls. Good KPP, forward and back.

themonk 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:57 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
dalyc wrote:
themonk wrote:
Lever is a good player but he 's a Sharenberg/Langdon type.

Chase T. Lynch, brilliant forward with leadership skills.

Manufacture a 2nd round pick for Broomhead, it'll take more than that but pick 6 and a 2nd rounder could initiate discussions.

Tom lynch. Yes please. Signed until 2018 but becomes a RFA then. If he really wants to leave then a deal could get done. He's the Suns captain though.

Correct. There is no point discussing Lynch as a trade option for 2018 when there is no chance in world that the suns will release him from his contract.
I think the conversation really centres around the split in thinking between making Pick 6 part of the trade for Lever or just going to the draft for 18 year old potential key forward ( or even next best available )

I don't understand the thinking that sharenberg ( 190 cm ) and Langdon ( 190cm ) are similar types to Lever ( 195 cm )
Lever was holding down one of the two defensive posts ( with Talia ) for most of the season until Keath came into the team in the last few weeks.
Sharenberg and Langdon just aren't big enough for a key defensive post.
Lever is also younger than both Shaz and Langdon, so his upside is also considerable, like Shaz and Langdon.

IF Lynch is looking to exit the Suns he can leave on a free at the end of 2018 or leave this year and Gold Coast will be rightfully compensated.

It's all up to Tom.

That's a player we can build a team around, a premiership team.
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:09 pm

stui magpie wrote:

We should have what our needs are and have rated all players in the draft according to those.

If we draft another fkn half back flanker, unless he can beat Ussain Bolt in a 50m sprint and hit a target on the chest from 60m, I'll lead the peasants revolt to the Holden centre with fire and pitchforks.

The best player is the player who will have the best career. At pick 5-7, I highly doubt the best player will be a half back flanker (yeah, I know, Scharenberg) and a true gun KPF will be gone by then, so I suspect the best player will be a midfielder.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:35 pm

Unless they're a gun, NO.

Give the list an enema and we'd have a bucket of midfielders with a half back flanker floating crust.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:30 pm

Duff Soviet Union wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

The best player is the player who will have the best career. At pick 5-7, I highly doubt the best player will be a half back flanker (yeah, I know, Scharenberg) and a true gun KPF will be gone by then, so I suspect the best player will be a midfielder.

It's a great discussion.
The club will need to decide a number of things when it comes decision time. What if the next best player is high pressure small forward with good goal sense ? Where does that the leave the development of Daicos and Kirby ( and maybe Brown )
Personally, I think when they picked McLarty, they felt their list profile was askew. Add the failure of Mayne to hold a spot and Whites retirement, I would think that Collingwoods idea of the next best player, would be a tall anyway ( unless it's traded away for a ready made )
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:42 am

themonk wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
dalyc wrote:
themonk wrote:

Manufacture a 2nd round pick for Broomhead, it'll take more than that but pick 6 and a 2nd rounder could initiate discussions.

Tom lynch. Yes please. Signed until 2018 but becomes a RFA then. If he really wants to leave then a deal could get done. He's the Suns captain though.

Correct. There is no point discussing Lynch as a trade option for 2018 when there is no chance in world that the suns will release him from his contract.
I think the conversation really centres around the split in thinking between making Pick 6 part of the trade for Lever or just going to the draft for 18 year old potential key forward ( or even next best available )

I don't understand the thinking that sharenberg ( 190 cm ) and Langdon ( 190cm ) are similar types to Lever ( 195 cm )
Lever was holding down one of the two defensive posts ( with Talia ) for most of the season until Keath came into the team in the last few weeks.
Lever is also younger than both Shaz and Langdon, so his upside is also considerable, like Shaz and Langdon.

IF Lynch is looking to exit the Suns he can leave on a free at the end of 2018 or leave this year and Gold Coast will be rightfully compensated.

It's all up to Tom.

In theory, Lynch could part ways at the end of this season but that would be because the Suns are prepared to tear up his contract. Your point is right that if that was to occur, they would get a lot more for him then, than they would as compensation only a year later.

I'm saying that won't happen ( just an opinion ) because the club will always back itself to have created an environment and culture that would see him want to stay when it is time to negotiate his new contract.
Sometimes clubs manage to keep them, sometimes they don't but you won't see a club releasing a great player before his contract finishes just because there is a better trade offer on the table one year earlier.

Lynch is a ripper, you just don't let them go without a fight when you have one.
themonk 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:56 am

Pies2016 wrote:
themonk wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
dalyc wrote:
themonk wrote:

It's all up to Tom.

In theory, Lynch could part ways at the end of this season but that would be because the Suns are prepared to tear up his contract. Your point is right that if that was to occur, they would get a lot more for him then, than they would as compensation only a year later.

I'm saying that won't happen ( just an opinion ) because the club will always back itself to have created an environment and culture that would see him want to stay when it is time to negotiate his new contract.
Sometimes clubs manage to keep them, sometimes they don't but you won't see a club releasing a great player before his contract finishes just because there is a better trade offer on the table one year earlier.

Lynch is a ripper, you just don't let them go without a fight when you have one.

I hear ya mate but think Dayne Beams, if a player wants to move on then it usually tends to happen.
glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:22 pm

Just to put it out there - I kind of like where our list is largely at right now. Is there any credit in trading our first draft pick away to a rebuilding team or tired team to get their first pick next year? ie two early picks next year
Achilles 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:41 pm

We should pick the best available player. Chances are that'll be a midfielder. No point picking a KPP if they're no good.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:50 pm

Liam Ryan Wink
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:00 pm

I am convinced that our first pick will go to Adelaide for Jake Lever.
If Bucks is coach I wouldn't be surprised if Aish went to sweeten it in exchange for their 2nd pick.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:03 pm

basic checklist for what makes a player we want to draft.

1. A KP Forward must be able to grab contested marks and kick straight

2. If speed is their key asset, they need serious line breaking speed AND the ability to kick long and straight while running full tilt. Roadrunners who can't kick need not apply

3. half back Flankers need not apply. Period.

4. Any draftee must good spatial awareness, good disposal under pressure and play attacking and defensive football.

5. Project KPP need not apply

6. Any draftee must have at least a decent touch of mongrel and hardness. Skilled soft cocks need not apply.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:30 pm

stui magpie wrote:

2. If speed is their key asset, they need serious line breaking speed AND the ability to kick long and straight while running full tilt. Roadrunners who can't kick need not apply

4. Any draftee must good spatial awareness, good disposal under pressure and play attacking and defensive football.

6. Any draftee must have at least a decent touch of mongrel and hardness. Skilled soft cocks need not apply.

Pretty much agree. However, given the prospect of Cox coming good as a forward/ruckman, I reckon we need a tall defender more than a forward. After all, Dunn, Goldsack and Reid are ALL near the end of their careers, and we don't really have any replacements coming through, unless we count McLarty.
Big T 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:58 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Pretty much agree. However, given the prospect of Cox coming good as a forward/ruckman, I reckon we need a tall defender more than a forward. After all, Dunn, Goldsack and Reid are ALL near the end of their careers, and we don't really have any replacements coming through, unless we count McLarty.

Moore at CHB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: