Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Removal of confederate statues

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should statues of prominent confederate civil war figures be removed?
Yes
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
No
57%
 57%  [ 8 ]
Don't know/unsure
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 14

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Will anything change or be resolved by removing them?

Last edited by Morrigu on Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:22 pm

What happened to small school in the Matopos Hills called the Cecil Rhodes school for children - it provides the chance for local kids to get an education free of charge it costs in Zimbabwe to send your kids to school and this school was and is funded free of charge by Rhodes and his descendants Mugabe refused to visit the school unless they changed their name - they had no choice and the funders thankfully understood that ?
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:40 pm

I know it's off topic but I can't help myself.
Apparently, Gandhi is the latest racist that needs his statue pulled down.
As stated previously, once you start down this road.....

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/09/ghana-call-remove-gandhi-statue-racist-views-160920192941652.html
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:48 pm

Seems like a pretty fair call, doesn't it? Again, a real instance of something differing in context depending on where it's placed: Gandhi represents one thing in India, one thing in Africa and something else in the rest of the world. Of course many in Africa might still admire him for the example he set as a resistance leader, but if his legacy on the continent is a mostly negative one then I can see why this would be a controversial monument.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:26 pm

Who decides what a statue "represents"?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:30 pm

Society as a whole?

Sure, these things are at least somewhat subjective, but all language is just symbols. A statue will have an intended meaning and a generally perceived meaning which are often more or less the same (to put it simply, "this is a great person who is worthy of honour"). Sometimes intended meaning and received meaning are totally different, and you can run into problems like the subjectivity of offence. But as a communication form, public statues seem pretty clear-cut as meaning goes.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:22 pm

When we've torn them all down, we can put up a statue of the Wiggles. They might be inoffensive enough for people who do not wish to understand history.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:48 pm

On the contrary – they are examples of Primary Colour Privilege in action. Wink

More seriously, there is the question of whether anyone really deserves to be the subject of a statue. Such worshipful representations – near-deification – of individuals is kind of a questionable exercise to begin with. Perhaps this is something the Abrahamic religions got right: "thou shalt make no graven images".

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:55 pm

David wrote:
Seems like a pretty fair call, doesn't it? Again, a real instance of something differing in context depending on where it's placed: Gandhi represents one thing in India, one thing in Africa and something else in the rest of the world. Of course many in Africa might still admire him for the example he set as a resistance leader, but if his legacy on the continent is a mostly negative one then I can see why this would be a controversial monument.

Again, context of the times. We're talking about the turn of last century. Christ, the Zulu wars were in 1879 and barely 15 years before that, Africans were still being captured and sold as Slaves, basically 2 legged cattle.

His argument, at the time, was that the Indian society was at a higher level than the black African, and they clearly were.

Seen through the lens of the present, his comments are racist. Seen through the lens of the time, they were factual. He wasn't trying to promote the cause of the black African, but the Indian .

I quite like this quote:

Quote:
One of Gandhi's writings cited in the petition reads: "Ours is one continual struggle against a degradation sought to be inflicted upon us by the Europeans, who desire to degrade us to the level of the raw Kaffir whose occupation is hunting, and whose sole ambition is to collect a certain number of cattle to buy a wife with and, then, pass his life in indolence and nakedness.

Credit where it's due, nothing really wrong with that ambition. Wink

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:16 pm

David wrote:

More seriously, there is the question of whether anyone really deserves to be the subject of a statue. Such worshipful representations – near-deification – of individuals is kind of a questionable exercise to begin with. Perhaps this is something the Abrahamic religions got right: "thou shalt make no graven images".

I think that's a position it might be reasonable to take today, so that we make no future statues of people. But I think we owe respect to those who commissioned, and made, the often rather stately and dignified statues around us today. Totalitarian states are masters of state-enforced forgetting, and we should be better than that.

Last edited by Mugwump on Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:19 pm

I don't necessarily disagree. Even on this discussion, I had to pick the "unsure/don't know" option.

On Gandhi: look, I don't want to harp on about one thing he said (and possibly later retracted) in a lifetime of anti-colonial activism, but what he said was pretty clearly racist. Claiming that an equivalence between Indians and Africans is a 'degradation' of the former (not to mention that Africans are primitive and lazy) is ... well, what else can that statement possibly be?

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:24 pm

David wrote:

So Bob Rose and Lou Richards don't deserve their statues?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:37 pm

No more than Rolf Harris deserves one for contributions to Australian music, arguably.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:41 pm

David wrote:
No more than Rolf Harris deserves one for contributions to Australian music, arguably.

Looks like I descended to trolling. Unfair. Removed.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:57 pm

David wrote:
I don't necessarily disagree. Even on this discussion, I had to pick the "unsure/don't know" option.

On Gandhi: look, I don't want to harp on about one thing he said (and possibly later retracted) in a lifetime of anti-colonial activism, but what he said was pretty clearly racist. Claiming that an equivalence between Indians and Africans is a 'degradation' of the former (not to mention that Africans are primitive and lazy) is ... well, what else can that statement possibly be?

Accurate at the time? Certainly the primitive part compared to the Indians.

http://www.sahistory.org.za/topic/history-indians-south-africa-timeline1654-2008

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: