Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Heritier Lumumba about to launch a broadside at the club

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, just . . . wow.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:08 pm

Unfortunately for Harry, his only real meaningful 'adult' experience is within the confines of a football club, the blokiest, most ignorant, uneducated sector in all of society. He is using this experience as the template for all of Australia.

I understand where he's coming from (I have to put up with casual racism myself, but I've always taken it in my stride), but sometimes I think he's trying to start a war with people who are just too dumb to understand where he's coming from.

John LEWIN 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:12 pm

I think a lot of people know exactly where he is coming from and maybe one day nobody will have to put up with it.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:12 am

slangman wrote:
think positive wrote:
Um. Why do I need to compare anything? Bullying is bullying, the degree doesn't matter. You should be able to go to work and have the expectation you won't be called names, racial or otherwise.

So if you make a mistake your boss (coach) shouldn't have the right to give you a blast?

My success as a netball coach actually stemmed from being supportive rather than negative, but that's besides the point! I don't have a boss, I have a partner, and we don't need to call each other names, if a mistake is made, and in business there always is, we simply work through it. Mistakes make people human and help them be better, you learn more from mistakes than from successes. The only time I gave a player any kind of serve was for laziness or lack of effort. I gave the whole team a serve for playing lazy when it meant a finals appearance or not, in 30 degree heat outside. I merely pointed out the other team weren't playing in an air conditioned bubble. Come from behind win, and eventual premiers. If your a good boss/coach you have the communication skills to get your point across without resorting to humiliation or name calling.

But the Harry thing isn't about that anyway. It's about team mates calling him names. Ones with a racial tinge. Not nice. Apologise, say we have moved on to being a better club now, and shut up.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:20 am

John LEWIN wrote:
Yes the plain, unvarnished, bitter and twisted psychopathology of the resentful loser. The inferiority complex in full bloom.

Wow, that's a description I'd never come up with when talking about a premiership player from any team. You do get the word TEAM yeah?

Like Cloke I personally think Harry is just a little too sensitive for AFL, and I don't say that in a negative way at all. Most men could use a more effective sensitivity chip, these guys have it. A macho commoradie atmosphere is maybe not the nurturing environment they need. Which for me makes Faz braves admission all the more admirable. And also gives me hope that things have either improved, or may not be as bad, as the whole media driven Harry thing is playing out.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:24 am

What would be the nurturing environment they need ?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:35 am

stui magpie wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
think positive wrote:
Um. Why do I need to compare anything? Bullying is bullying, the degree doesn't matter. You should be able to go to work and have the expectation you won't be called names, racial or otherwise.

I agree with you TP that bullying of any kind should not be tolerated in any workplace. I guess, where I see this case differently to you, is that nothing I've heard from 'H' convinces me that he was bullied at Collingwood. Furthermore, however, if 'H' perceived the nickname 'chimp' he was given by some (we don't know how many) after watching him perform some crazy dance routine, to be a form of bullying, then he should have brought it to the club's attention, and in particular to the attention of Malthouse, who was coach at the time. If no-one was aware that any offense was taken by this, then how in the hell could the club have taken any action over it?

I've been heavily involved in working with Aboriginal youths for over a decade and I am militantly opposed to any form of racism, whether overt or covert. I loved 'H' as a player and admired his public stance on racism and many other social issues. However, in this instance, it seems to me that 'H' is simply playing the victim card as a form of attention seeking, and that he actually revels in being an 'outsider'. Part of me genuinely worries for his mental health - remember his incoherent ranting about suicide and sexual abuse? - but a part of me is angry that he has gone out of his way to attack Bucks, Eddie and our club, when they have done nothing but support him up until the moment he told our coach he was "a phucking idiot". At that moment he should have been sacked on the spot.

I tend to agree on most points. I watched the interview on the Project, I don't believe he is just consciously attention seeking, he seems extremely passionate about it. Almost unhealthily for something that happened a while back.

I don't believe he was deliberately bullied, I tend to think he took offence in hindsight to things that happened in the past and is struggling with them. Yes, maybe a mental health issue or maybe just a personality thing where he';s fixated on something and can't let it go.

Personally I think the club has handled it well. They aren't being drawn into a public spat or denigrating H, but are doing their stuff behind the scenes. At the moment that appears to be frustrating him more because he's throwing the rocks and can't get a public bite.

I hope it ends well, I always had a lot of time for H as a player and he is and always will be a premiership legend of the club.

Ok guys, please read Rudeboys reply. It's a lesson in how to disagree without being a shit to get your point across. As usual. And so is stuis reply. I reckon the truth probably lies some where in the middle of all the arguements.

There is no doubt in my mind that Harry probably wasn't comfortable with his nickname after the original dance scene, and kept quiet because that's what good ol boys do. I also don't doubt that there was no malice intended by any of the players. I also don't doubt, due to Faz talking so freely about his experiences with depression, that a lot has changed. Our club seems more vanilla under Bucks, but in this case, that's a good thing. You should be able to communicate, disagree, support, correct, even discipline, without name calling. Criticise the action, not the person. One thing Bucks is the absolute mater of, is communicating. I've seen it first hand at training. And after training. I've had a couple of conversations with him, and he's guarded, who can blame him, but gees he's impressive. And that just makes me want all the more for him to lead us to the top again.

That doesn't mean I believe he will! But as usual at the end of the season, after a couple of weeks, the hope begins to build again! Cheers

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:58 am

HAL wrote:
What would be the nurturing environment they need ?

Don't feed the trolls Hal!

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:59 am

Do you have any idea what I am talking about?
K 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:52 am

think positive wrote:
John LEWIN wrote:
Yes the plain, unvarnished, bitter and twisted psychopathology of the resentful loser. The inferiority complex in full bloom.

Wow, that's a description I'd never come up with when talking about a premiership player from any team. You do get the word TEAM yeah?

<snip>

TP, I think sometimes you read posts too quickly and misinterpret them...
I should let the posters clarify what they mean for themselves, but, for example, I don't think JL was referring to H there.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:32 am

All good points TP. You're obviously a top netball coach. I'm guessing here you didn't learn coaching from a text book. You got that way by raising a family and learning about human behaviour by what motivates or demotivates human beings. By applying those principles to coaching you get players to want to play for you, even under adverse temperatures, when as you say, you point to the opposition who have to play under the same conditions.

You can't predict human behaviour. You can have the best systems and processes in the world (I'd like to believe we have the best at Collingwood), yet some players will overreact to what is being said and walk, or go to the media. Rather than shoot the messenger I think we should all learn from the experience and work together to make ourselves better. Lumumba was a wonderful player at Collingwood who dedicated himself to succeeding as an AFL footballer and helping us win the 2010 flag. Any behavioural issues he raises his post Collingwood career are minuscule compared to the contribution he made when he was at the club and that's the way I think we should take his comments.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:53 am

Ok I can accept that, anf yes I'd hope we have the very best, or the club has wasted a lot of money
John LEWIN 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:56 pm

TP my post was deliberately ambiguous. I am not a critic of Heritier. It was intended to be thought provoking as part of the interactive process we engage in here.

Who is telling the "truth", varnished or otherwise? Psychopathology can have two meanings, on one hand, that which is a state of mind, on the other, a way of thinking which is used to ascribe a state of mind to an individual. No doubt Nick's posters who hold contrary views to mine could create one for me full of vituperative adjectives.

In my view, there is a consistent line running through many of the posts we have read. The unvarnished "truth" is that what is commonly ascribed by those posts to Heritier Lumumba's state of mind is the mentality of a bitter and twisted lost soul who suffers from an inferiority complex and is thus, sadly, mentally damaged and deserving of pity. This insidious projection is relied upon to overcome or mitigate the problematic nature of the experiences which Heritier has recounted.

"Poor Harry he's making too much fuss because his brain is not working properly and he needs to face up to it"! Well maybe try this instead: "Poor me I'm not comfortable with what I'm hearing so I'll pretend I'm not really hearing it and in fact it's actually not true, someones making far too much fuss over nothing because they are unhinged and they ought to know better"!

What I hope this makes obvious is that by focussing on Heritier's alleged state of mind ( whatever it may be) the behaviour he recounts is deflected from the discussion. So the "truth" suddenly appears in all it's unvarnished glory and it has nothing to do with Collingwood and everything to do with Heritier. Because this is all in his mind. So we can overcome our discomfort by nobly expressing our concern for Heritier and his mental illness. We can place Heritier in a virtual psychiatric prison.

The truth, without the need for the quotation marks, is that nobody posting on this thread can have any basis whatsoever to ascribe any state of mind at all to Heritier Lumumba beyond self serving and usually insulting speculation. On the evidence, he seems perfectly normal. Certainly no less and possibly more so than some of us. Maybe some of us are feeling at a loss and bitter about the disclosures of Heritier's time at the club.?

One day someone will write more history around this and other difficulties the club has faced on the subject of race. This thread could well figure as part of the research base from which it is drawn. We can look back over what has been posted and some of it may not come out too well in the wash.

I remember when a former President of the club, responding to the Nicky Winmar incident said: "aboriginal people are welcome in the Collingwood Football Club as long as they behave like white people". Responding to Heritier with accusations of mental incapacity looks remarkably similar, "he's not like us we are normal he isn't" Words (ours in particular) are important and won't be denied as Eddie knows only too well.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:59 pm

This is my last and final post on this matter until my next post. I say this without fear of contradiction.

Can I say I love "Blue Juice" on 3PBS on Sunday mornings, pm & the show that follows. Brilliant.

H is
H isn't
Some do it their way
Some do it differently

Good day and good night.

Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:13 pm

I came to this thread looking for answers, and thank you to Rudeboy and think positive for your in depth and analytical posts, I now have them
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 34 of 36   

Jump to: