Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

This is what we're becoming?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:21 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. When I was a kid I used to play tennis against my older brother and got smashed every time because he was two years older than me. This went on for years until around the time when I was 15 and he was 17 and I finally beat him – it was pretty satisfying. But I would have been gutted if I thought that he'd thrown the game or just decided to let me win for a change; or, for that matter, if he'd been handing me the odd point in earlier games.

Kids need to be taught two things when playing sport: good sportsmanship and how to accept losing. What they don't need is to rein in their healthy competitiveness. I mean, we're not even talking about 10-year-olds here, but 14, 15, 16? A loss of more than ten goals is supposed to break them? Jesus. It's not political correctness, but it sure is bizarre.

(Also, god, if they have to have such a dumb rule, blow the whistle and end the game when a team gets ten goals in front. Call it a mercy rule. But don't make kids tank for the last quarter so they don't have to forfeit; that's just perverse.)

David, you're coming back to the dark side. have a cookie. Razz Laughing Wink

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:24 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. When I was a kid I used to play tennis against my older brother and got smashed every time because he was two years older than me. This went on for years until around the time when I was 15 and he was 17 and I finally beat him – it was pretty satisfying. But I would have been gutted if I thought that he'd thrown the game or just decided to let me win for a change; or, for that matter, if he'd been handing me the odd point in earlier games.

Kids need to be taught two things when playing sport: good sportsmanship and how to accept losing. What they don't need is to rein in their healthy competitiveness. I mean, we're not even talking about 10-year-olds here, but 14, 15, 16? A loss of more than ten goals is supposed to break them? Jesus. It's not political correctness, but it sure is bizarre.

(Also, god, if they have to have such a dumb rule, blow the whistle and end the game when a team gets ten goals in front. Call it a mercy rule. But don't make kids tank for the last quarter so they don't have to forfeit; that's just perverse.)

David, you're coming back to the dark side. have a cookie. Razz Laughing Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: