Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Venezuela

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting reading on the joint. Collapsing economy based on oil, increasingly authoritarian governments and brain drain.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/resources/the-world-factbook/geos/ve.html

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:28 pm

Quote:
For most of the first half of the 20th century, Venezuela was ruled by generally benevolent military strongmen...

I think "benevolent military strongmen" means they patted kids on the head before executing their parents.

CIA and Factbook are terms that probably shouldn't go together.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:32 pm

I like to learn new words.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:17 am

stui magpie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Why?

real world work experience

What makes a building site more 'real' than a university? Just different kinds of work, surely, and each potentially cloistered in their own way.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:20 am

A little more.
Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:36 am

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Why?

What makes a building site more 'real' than a university? Just different kinds of work, surely, and each potentially cloistered in their own way.

The difference is on a large international building site you are more likely to encounter and have to work with vast array of people from different social and educational back grounds. From the lead project manager to the crane rigger, its called real diversity not echo chamber collectivism.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:11 am

That's just a very ignorant view.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:15 am

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Why?

The only "real" work is the work that people get when they're right out of life chances.

Just give this "debate" a miss, David - it's just a strange devaluation of the life-experience of people who can read and write and think.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:25 am

At the risk of embarrassing people by making this "real", here's a link to an on-line condolence book for the man who took my first tutorial in prehistoric archaeology almost 40 years ago. A life well-lived - a generous man, a fine scholar of international repute and a person most who knew him would say held views very worthy of thoughtful consideration. Don't think he worked on any building sites, though (unless they were in ancient Mesopotamia).

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/antonio-sagona-obituary?pid=1000000185978080&view=guestbook&page=3
Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:28 am

yep, make sure you dont read stuff like this: thats just for the ignorant

http://www.academia.edu/2916251/The_social_sciences_as_empirical_sciences_of_society_have_largely_failed._They_haven_t_developed_anything_vaguely_resembling_a_predictive_science_of_society_or_effective_solutions_to_pressing_social_and_economic_problems._Discuss

or this

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/social-science-failing-its-users-report-says/175641.article

and definitely not this; i mean why should anyone in social sciences learn maths?

http://discoversociety.org/2014/11/04/focus-complexity-and-the-failure-of-quantitative-social-science/

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:34 am

Some truth in rhat, Pi, but the other way a building site is more real than a university is that it exists in a truly competitive market and building workers are exposed to the choices of consumers, whereas universities are state-funded from compulsory taxation, and thus the people who work in them tend to be more complacent and immune from social and economic non-negotiables.

Secondly, i think that the average business or STEM graduate is probably more used to testing their ideas against a hard and prosaic reality. The neo-Marxist cultural revolutionaries tend to come from the Arts and Law faculties, where power, rather than truth, is the natural currency.

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:25 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
At the risk of embarrassing people by making this "real", here's a link to an on-line condolence book for the man who took my first tutorial in prehistoric archaeology almost 40 years ago. A life well-lived - a generous man, a fine scholar of international repute and a person most who knew him would say held views very worthy of thoughtful consideration. Don't think he worked on any building sites, though (unless they were in ancient Mesopotamia).

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/antonio-sagona-obituary?pid=1000000185978080&view=guestbook&page=3

Thats a bit an own goal Smile

Archaeology is basically a building site in reverse, involving managing a large team of diverse people from the local inhabitants to grad students; its essentially a hard science when you consider whats needed to actually do it.

Im referring to the lower end of the social sciences that produce huge numbers of low quality graduates who dont do any field work or mathematics. For some strange reason they seem to make most of the Marxist ideologues.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:48 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
That's just a very ignorant view.

I would say ill informed & unknowledgeable, wait on...

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:59 am

Pi wrote:
yep, make sure you dont read stuff like this: thats just for the ignorant

http://www.academia.edu/2916251/The_social_sciences_as_empirical_sciences_of_society_have_largely_failed._They_haven_t_developed_anything_vaguely_resembling_a_predictive_science_of_society_or_effective_solutions_to_pressing_social_and_economic_problems._Discuss

or this

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/social-science-failing-its-users-report-says/175641.article

and definitely not this; i mean why should anyone in social sciences learn maths?

http://discoversociety.org/2014/11/04/focus-complexity-and-the-failure-of-quantitative-social-science/

My first degree's in philosophy of mathematics with a double in history (both firsts of course). How's your maths?
Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:10 pm

Good enough for mechanical engineering and programming, no gender studies or feminist geography been told I didnt miss out on much Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: