Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2.4ghz or 5ghz? & new photo hosting site

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:51 pm
Post subject: 2.4ghz or 5ghz? & new photo hosting siteReply with quote

Firstly, Our WIFI suddenly got slow again, long story short, there seems to be to much traffic in our house on the 2.4ghz channel, so ive been reading about changing to 5ghz channel instead. my modem is compatible, i have a uniden DSL2890AL dual band. is it difficult to do? i found it on my modem settings, but im worried about other connections if you know what i mean! Im getting a bit old for that Adrenalin rush when you stuff up your computer!!

Secondly, i have used Photobucket forever, horrible, slow, too many adds, but free, but now they have decided you cant share uploaded pics to other sites. All my links failed, so all my Adds are kaput, and all my shared pics. Google shows its happened across the board unless you pay $39 a month. TBH ive wanted to change for a while, its just so awful to use. i dont mind paying, i can claim the fee, the Adds are for things i sell through our business. Can anyone recommend one?

cheers

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your permission.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:58 pm

HAL wrote:
Thank you for your permission.

no worries, its permissable

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:43 pm

Get your own website and learn how to use FTP.

That will cost you maybe $100 a year, much less if you are happy with a cheap foreign job, and about three minutes to master the software.

You then have complete control over your digital life. You can host your own email, make new addresses to please yourself, put up a website if you want one - basically, you can do anything you like and no bugger can screw you around.

Wireless slow? Sorry: no idea. Being born in a decade not listed on Skid's poll, I'm old fashioned and like stuff that just works. When it comes to networks, "just works" means cables. Only toy networks use wireless. Get an Ethernet cable for yourself and let the kids do what they like with the toy network. Not your problem. Your connection will be faster, cheaper, and more reliable. Theirs? Who cares?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:12 pm

Tannin wrote:
Get your own website and learn how to use FTP.

That will cost you maybe $100 a year, much less if you are happy with a cheap foreign job, and about three minutes to master the software.

You then have complete control over your digital life. You can host your own email, make new addresses to please yourself, put up a website if you want one - basically, you can do anything you like and no bugger can screw you around.

Wireless slow? Sorry: no idea. Being born in a decade not listed on Skid's poll, I'm old fashioned and like stuff that just works. When it comes to networks, "just works" means cables. Only toy networks use wireless. Get an Ethernet cable for yourself and let the kids do what they like with the toy network. Not your problem. Your connection will be faster, cheaper, and more reliable. Theirs? Who cares?

Hehe, cheers, thanks for the reply. My pic is fast and Ethernet, but I like my iPad first thing in the morning and at night! Also easier in the loo that the pic!!

Remember the hook up We did upstairs to the eldest pic by some weird cable thing? Well she has that on 5ghz, and if I connect to that upstairs it's quicker, so I'm ringing unidentifiable tomorrow to find out how to change it! By the way the PC is still going great guns Thankyou, and I'd be lost without the extras you put on for the start menu and stuff. I upgraded to 10 but still have that stuff on it. Yes I know I shouldn't call it stuff! My laptop is 10, drives me mad! Too hard. I should work out how to change that too! One day, don't use it much - it's wifi Razz

Yeah I think I will do the website idea, I kind of thought I could. I could use the same programme I used for the Victorian classic and vintage speedway club site I run. It's pretty easy, it's a bootstrap thing. Then I'd just have to work out how to share a picture link, can't be that hard can it?

Thanks mate, how's the apple crumble?

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:39 pm

Cheers Jo. I seem to be off sweet things this year, but I did a mean cauliflower cheese this week, and I have an entire deep freeze full of this year's crop of tomato, capsicum, eggplant, and onion. Yum! Some of them also have random amounts of hot pepper from the garden too, so whenever I defrost one and put it with (say) fish, grated cheese and rice, I never know whether it's going to be a hot one, a mild one, or a plain one. This makes life interesting. Smile

To fix the laptop, start with Classic Shell from http://www.classicshell.net/

There are lots of other tweaks, but that is the main one. Pictures are easy. Get hold of an FTP client, Filezilla is a good one at https://filezilla-project.org/ use that to make a folder on your server, then link to the pictures in the nornal way.

For example, yesterday I uploaded a picture to my website tannin.net.au into the folder upload/07/

The picture was named 070407_151834_jc.jpg

So to link to it, I just type (img)]http://tannin.net.au/upload/07/070407_151834_jc.jpg(/img) only with square brackets. Let's try it.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:56 pm

Hey mate that's really cool, thanks for all the info, I'll check it out tomorrow.

Ps how do you freeze tomatoes? Whole or cut up. I tried they came out yuk!

Someone stole the water tank? From a loo? Harsh

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:59 pm

Which magazine was it?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:20 am

Blanch them first, Jo. Cut up as many tomatoes as you want, throw in whatever else you fancy (capsicum, hot pepper, onion, herbs, you name it) and bring to the boil. (Don't add water: the tomato juice is plenty wet enough No need to slice them up either: anything much smaller than a tennis ball I just toss in whole.)

Simmer for a short while if you like, but no need to. Don't overcook or you lose too much flavour.

Only the eggplant needs special treatment: cut that into strips about 10mm think and pre-cook them - fry, roast or grill as you please. I have one of those old-fashioned stoves where the hot plates double as heaters for the grill, so I just put the tomatoes and stuff into my mum's huge old pressure cooker (minus the pressure - i use it as a big soup pot), plonk that on the stove, splash some olive oil on the eggplant and slip it underneath to grill at the same time. When the eggplant starts going soft in the middle and crispy on the outside, pull it out, cut it up into smallish bits (burning your fingers), and toss it into the pot.

Everything (except the olive oil) is out of the garden, so beautifully fresh and full of flavour. I let it cool, spoon into containers, freeze, then decant them into freezer bags - nearly giving myself chillblains in the process.

I don't label them: anything red is tomato something-or-other.

The other day I defrosted a tomato & etc. brick ready to add to fish, cheese and pasta. At the very last moment, I thought it smelled funny. Eek! Plums! OK, plums are nice, but not with pasta!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:57 am

Ha! Yuk!

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try, like the idea of the sauce, great to just pull out when I'm feeling lazy cheers

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:06 am

Call me crazy but I reckon plum pasta might be ok. Razz
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:53 am

Your crazy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: