Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Group certificates

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:32 pm
Post subject: Group certificatesReply with quote

I'm in a bit of a predicament: I've booked an appointment with an accountant to do my taxes on Thursday afternoon, but I haven't yet received a group certificate from either job. Both of my workplaces have told me that group certificates usually come out in the second week of July, so all hope is not lost, but I am starting to wonder if I should cancel the appointment just in case (which would be a pain, as the next slot isn't until August at the earliest).

I was wondering about an alternative course of action, though. My payslips feature a cumulative year-to-date total underneath, so in theory my last payslip before the end of the financial year has all the info I need, right? If this is so, can I just use this instead? What are the rules around this sort of thing?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:43 pm
Post subject: Re: Group certificatesReply with quote

David wrote:
I'm in a bit of a predicament: I've booked an appointment with an accountant to do my taxes on Thursday afternoon, but I haven't yet received a group certificate from either job. Both of my workplaces have told me that group certificates usually come out in the second week of July, so all hope is not lost, but I am starting to wonder if I should cancel the appointment just in case (which would be a pain, as the next slot isn't until August at the earliest).

I was wondering about an alternative course of action, though. My payslips feature a cumulative year-to-date total underneath, so in theory my last payslip before the end of the financial year has all the info I need, right? If this is so, can I just use this instead? What are the rules around this sort of thing?

they can be later than that. do you know the accountant? yes the figures are there, but totals like allowances etc probably are not (not the totals anyway). you could ring and ask them if you need them and should you rebook, thats what i would do for general taxes. i know our agent pretty well, so id just let them know id give it to them later, company tax takes longer to do!
gees your quick off the mark, well done!!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

They're called 'payment Summaries" now, and they don't have to be out til the 14th.

I tend to wait til August,then log into the tax return part on Mygov so I can see what the ATO knows. Once I'm sure the ATO already has everything, then I do the return.

If you've just got salary and wages I don't know why you'd go to an accountant.

But, if you're going to be charged for an appointment when you don't yet have all your stuff so you'll have to do another one and get charged again, I'l reschedule.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:43 pm

^ yeah, I had the same reaction. If you are just receiving wages and have. Few standard deductions, do you really need an accountant ? Sounds like you may be paying good money for a pretty simple procedure.
David Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:55 pm

Perhaps I'm just lazy, but I've always found I get a much better return when I use an accountant – as some of my work is freelance, I struggle to keep track of what I can and can't claim, and I'm worried that I might claim too much (or too little!). At any rate, the fee is itself tax-deductible, so I've generally found it a worthwhile exercise.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:13 pm

On deductions, the ATO generally work on a threshold, probably a simple algorithm, around what you claim as deductions compared to others in similar employment. If you don't stick out, all good.

So don't be greedy and you won't have problems Wink

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:50 am

David wrote:
Perhaps I'm just lazy, but I've always found I get a much better return when I use an accountant – as some of my work is freelance, I struggle to keep track of what I can and can't claim, and I'm worried that I might claim too much (or too little!). At any rate, the fee is itself tax-deductible, so I've generally found it a worthwhile exercise.

I only have salary & wages - doing my own I'd get about $100 back, if I'm lucky. Using my accountant I get minimum $2K back every year. He's got all sorts of things I can claim. Worth the $250 to see him IMO.

I'd probably reschedule too & make sure you've got everything you need. August is only a few weeks away you know Wink
ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:44 pm

The Press speech by the Commissioner for taxation was interesting. One of his statements was that too many people claim clothing as a tax deduction and alluding to uniforms being waht you can claim for. A suit is not a uniform.

Is he for real. Someone should have taken this up. Protective clothing is not a suit. When I worked for Defence I was required to visit ranges, factories and occasionally the field. Did he expect me to wear a suit to a workshop? No I got a pair of overalls, protective glasses etc.

Does he expect every workshop to have uniforms, every plumber to have their name embroidered on his shirt when deep down in shit. Where on the gumboots does a concreter put his logo. Farmers should be wearing hats to protect against the sun. Suerly child care workers are entitled to claim costs of getting off baby sick.

Aside from sportspeople who wears free uniforms? Or caps ala golfers. Even the armed forces have to pay but get a uniform allowance.

The Commissioner should go to find out how his deputy was involved in a massive fraud rather than fo after some poor bugger who PAYE employee working in a factory and not an airconditioned office in Canberra.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:49 pm

^

the tax rules around claiming clothing are pretty clear.

PPE (personal protective equipment) is tax deductible, uniforms unless branded are not and suits definitely aren't.

Hospitality staff may be required to wear a particular colour Tshirt and pants, but if they aren't branded they can't be claimed.

Work pants for a tradie aren't, safety boots are, hi vis tops maybe.

David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:43 pm

After all that, I've had to reschedule my appointment to mid-August anyway! A combination of too much to do at the new job tomorrow and Ingmar not feeling well. Thanks for the advice, though, everyone. Smile
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:21 pm

Hope the little tacker is ok xxx and don't catch it yourself!
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:12 pm

It's exciting getting your first group certificate David...
Hang tough brother, the mail man will bring it shortly!
David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:30 pm

My first? Lol. Too tired to work out if you're trying to take the piss or not... Surprised
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:57 am

Some companies are just slack. I get paid monthly 15th. Had mine about the 20th and have been and done my Tax already.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:51 pm

We send most of ours by email. Tried to do it Sunday but something stuffed up so did the rest Monday
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: