Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Gary Pert resigns (confirmed)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
if i was eddie id be so far up clarksons butt, id be waving hello to china

Nǐ hǎo Very Happy

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:39 pm

I don't know what to make of the Pert departure. I've never been a fan of CEO's talking about football results that's the job of the coach (to the media) and president (to the members)
It sat very uncomfortably with me Pert making outlandish statements it sort of felt like he was pushing the club and the coach into a position that if we didn't achieve that goal anything else was a failure.
Had he said something along the lines of "like every team with some luck on the injury front we hope to be contesting for finals" I could live with that.
I think for a while he has been at odds with Eddie and some of his comments in regards to drugs and drug policies was really putting us as a club in the line of fire if something happened. I don't think there relationship was always as lovey dovey as many would have expected.
Eddie is a strong president and has always been the driving force behind everything Collingwood. He seems to work best when his back is to the wall and his fighting for a cause. He has made mistakes for sure but he has hit some home runs as well.
If in balance you weigh up the good v bad decisions he would be in front on the ledger.
I would much prefer a president ike Eddie who supports his coach and players than a Kennett who publicly didn't.
As for the coach part I'm in th Buckley must go camp. I wasn't always I was actually a very strong advocate he must be given time. But time he's had and I can't say I've seen a whole bunch of improvement in many facets of the game style we try to play.
I know MM was awarded life membership and Eddie extended an invitation to him to attend a game and I guess us v west coast makes sense he coaches both sides to premierships. They showed on fox sports a couple times Eddie and MM in conversation and I wonder if Eddie was asking MM his honest opinion on Buckley as a coach ? I don't know of that would have happened but MM has been a career coach and he and Eddie did have a close relationship prior to the succession plan and I wonder if it has been patched up enough for MM to answer that question honestly and for Eddie to trust the answer.
If I was to conduct a review of football I would have employed someone like Leigh Matthews or bomber Thompson people who understand football, players and coaching
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:03 pm

Watching yesterday's presser, it's pretty clear that Perty jumped before being pushed. He got quite chocked up when discussing his exit, and showed genuine emotion and love for the club. I honestly wish I'd seen a bit more of that now and again over the years, as he always came across in the media as rather wooden and humorless. There are too many grey boring humorless and cold hearted men running the world as it is, and we certainly don't need them running our club. Whoever is his replacement better be absolutely in love with Collingwood and passionate about making us successful, rather than someone just out for a high paying position.

Regarding our Director of football position, on the basis of my own interactions with him, I have made public my mistrust and serious dislike of Walsh. Generally I consider myself a very tolerant and forgiving person, willing to overlook people's inadequacies, which is why I honestly can't think of another person I would say that about. That said, if those within the club consider him good in his role, then I wish him well and hope he helps bring success to our club.

As for Bucks position, I'm still in the Bucks camp as I find him to be the most impressive young leader I've seen any where, not just in football. Sure, our results have been disappointing, but I think the reasons for that are very complex, and not reduceable to blaming Bucks. Maybe I'm wrong? Maybe he has no idea about football? Maybe he can't identify talent? Maybe he can't develop and teach young players? Maybe he simply can't communicate his ideas to players? These are all possible, and if true, then Bucks must go. However, seeing, hearing and even talking with Bucks on a couple of occasions, I do not accept any of those propositions. Slowly but surely I think we are on the right track, and the drafting/trading in of a couple of good KPPs over the summer should enable us to be a top 4 contender next year.

We will know soon enough about Bucks fate, and I will be elated if his contract is extended, but if he is sacked, then I will terribly disappointed, but will support the club regardless. One thing is for sure, our whole club needs re-energising and re-focussing on the main game - winning!

www.facebook.com/groups/knightsofabbotsford

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:31 pm

Do you reckon a comprehensive purging that justifies keeping Bucks is the way to go Rudeboy?

Pert obviously had to fall on his sword. Hine next. Then Davoren, Walsh possibly and I would assume a raft of assistant coaches.

A number of players are in line for the chop as well.

Looks as as if Gubby Allan will be back after a 12 month ban.

Ed and Bucks will be the last ones standing in this scenario.

You'll get both of your men, but that sort of blood letting leaves a few scars.

Is that how you re-energise any sort of group or organisation?

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:45 pm

1970 there all valid points and like rudeboy I want Buckely to succeed.
I don't know if all our short comings are a result of his coaching abilities but I do know the status quo can't remain.
As for Gubby I think he is the ideal man for the job. He's a behind the scenes guy with a strong link to the club and a even stronger ability to build good lists (see the lions and GWS) he was head hunted for both jobs by the AFL for a reason.
1970 show me a bloodless purge and I'll show you one that never actually happened.
I bet there will scars and looking at Pert's emotional presser you can tell it wasn't his idea to go.
It might be the case of just Eddie and Buckley left standing and it may well turn out to be the case it was a horrible decision but I think it would be a worse mistake not to do anything.
As for the assistants I've never been a Harvey fan in fact thought he should have gone a couple years ago he's very vanilla in my mind.
Burns and Sanderson can stay they have some black & white in there DNA I would also like to see the club bring in an Chooco Williams to act as bucks mentor and confident and help him (that's if Buckley avoids the purge as well)
Fitness staff these days are a dime a dozen they are churning them out with regular intervals from uni so I'm non plused there.
Recruiting let Gubby oversee this as well
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:31 am

1970 wrote:
Do you reckon a comprehensive purging that justifies keeping Bucks is the way to go Rudeboy?

Pert obviously had to fall on his sword. Hine next. Then Davoren, Walsh possibly and I would assume a raft of assistant coaches.

A number of players are in line for the chop as well.

Looks as as if Gubby Allan will be back after a 12 month ban.

Ed and Bucks will be the last ones standing in this scenario.

You'll get both of your men, but that sort of blood letting leaves a few scars.

Is that how you re-energise any sort of group or organisation?

My take is a little different to yours based only on their history of success and leaving out personalities altogether:
Davoren: keep
Walsh: keep
Gubby Allan: keep
Scot Burns: keep
Rivers: keep
Brad Gotch: keep
Sanderson: keep (is contracted)
Matt Rendall: keep
All others in the football department excluding the part-timers should leave in my view. That includes Buckley, Harvey and Hine.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:19 am

What I find amusing about people stating that this person or that person should be sacked from the club is that most of these comments have little foundation. Most of the opinions and impressions we have of these people is based upon their public personas.

If we take for example Gary Pert. What was his relationship with his staff. Did he have good leadership skills from their perspective? Was he a person the staff respected and trusted? Of those that knew him the most, did they see him as a good decision maker? Did they think of him as being balanced and intelligent? Of all these decisions made within the club which were based upon his own motivations and what strategies were imposed by the board or other influences?

The fact is that we simply do not know the relevant facts and without those facts and inside knowledge any opinions are based upon emotion and impressions. We certainly cannot form an educated and justifiable opinion.

As another example, people on this forum outwardly blame Buckley for the inclusion of Blair and the dropping or inclusion of other players. What is the process within the club when it comes to team selection? Who are on the selection committee and what influence do they have? Does it come down to a discussion or vote when it comes down to contentious or marginal decisions or do certain individual have the final say. The fact is that the vast majority of us have little understating of the inner workings of the club, the strengths, weaknesses and authority of the individuals within the structure.

Recruiting is another area the club were individuals and club servants are judged and like team selection we are for the most part in the dark.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:56 am

He makes a good scapegoat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:02 pm

I imagine the bloke you choose to quote from ("What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler) benefited constantly from nobody knowing anything about anything! Very apt indeed.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:08 pm

1970 wrote:
I imagine the bloke you choose to quote from ("What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler) benefited constantly from nobody knowing anything about anything! Very apt indeed.

It was Hitler's ability to tap into the emotions of people that allowed him to do the evil things he imposed on mankind. If people were astute enough to base their opinions on facts and to have made balanced decisions based on fact not emotion and others opinions he would never have achieved the influence he did.

The club is conducting a complete review to get a snapshot of were they are and how their people are performing. They are in a position to get the facts. We are not.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:37 pm

What Good Fortune For Football Clubs That The Members Do Not Have The Facts.

Long may they pay up, keep quiet and watch The Footy Show!

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:46 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
1970 wrote:

It was Hitler's ability to tap into the emotions of people that allowed him to do the evil things he imposed on mankind. If people were astute enough to base their opinions on facts and to have made balanced decisions based on fact not emotion and others opinions he would never have achieved the influence he did.

The club is conducting a complete review to get a snapshot of were they are and how their people are performing. They are in a position to get the facts. We are not.

I'd like to believe that, however I think it's a bit naive to think the power brokers at our club are immune from making decisions based on emotion. Also, even once facts are established, they need to be interpreted and this is where different possible understandings/explanations come into play. For instance, a person may diagnosed with cancer, but then a decision has to be made as to whether the appropriate treatment is surgery, chemotherapy, immunotherapy, radiation or some combination. Even with all the facts, one may never know which treatment was the best. As they say, "sometimes the operation is successful but the patient dies". Confused
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:19 pm

you honestly dont think the decision to hold onto Bucks via the change over plan was based on emotion?
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:27 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
1970 wrote:

Oh, are you saying you don't know anything until a review of the football club hands down its decision.

If that's the case I know more than you do. I know that we are fourteenth and have no chance of making the finals. I also know that injuries can't be used as an excuse for our poor performance and that if this keeps up, we will have fewer members next year than this year.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:52 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
1970 wrote:

Oh, are you saying you don't know anything until a review of the football club hands down its decision.

If that's the case I know more than you do. I know that we are fourteenth and have no chance of making the finals. I also know that injuries can't be used as an excuse for our poor performance and that if this keeps up, we will have fewer members next year than this year.

But then again, maybe I know more than you? I know that if we make a decision to sack Bucks now, to keep the restless natives happy, just as he is starting to put together a good side, despite poor recruiting and internal instability within our football department, then it may solve a short term problem, but lead to longer term pain. I know that Bucks is the most impressive leader of young men and has the best footy brain in the land, so to lose that would be disastrous. How do I know that, you may ask? I just know it that's all. So there... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10   

Jump to: