Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Wells recruiting criticized - except we win with him

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
doriswilgus wrote:
think positive wrote:
nah sorry, 1 player is not a match winner, need more stats than that. how many wins against decent teams? (yeah i know there is only 4 below us) the only one that really counts is Geefrickenlong, and Greenwood tagging out selwood had the most influence, and strangely, he hast tagged anyone since!!

Did you see what Wells did in the first quarter last week?He dodged around two Gold Coast players on the boundary line,then delivered the perfect pass to Fasolo.Now tell me,who else on our list has the poise and class to do something like that?

pendles, sidey can, plus WHE, Treloar and DeGoey should all be able to do that, he didnt kick the goal did he? we have enough onballers, we need a KPP. if we had him fit every week, young, then yes, id take him over WHE at least, but hes not, never will be, and he has cost us far too much for a "match winner"against a bottom 5 team with two players on the bench in the last quarter.

Some of those players you mentioned could do it hypothetically,but the trouble is I don't actually recall them doing it in reality.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:26 pm

doriswilgus wrote:
think positive wrote:
doriswilgus wrote:
think positive wrote:
nah sorry, 1 player is not a match winner, need more stats than that. how many wins against decent teams? (yeah i know there is only 4 below us) the only one that really counts is Geefrickenlong, and Greenwood tagging out selwood had the most influence, and strangely, he hast tagged anyone since!!

Did you see what Wells did in the first quarter last week?He dodged around two Gold Coast players on the boundary line,then delivered the perfect pass to Fasolo.Now tell me,who else on our list has the poise and class to do something like that?

pendles, sidey can, plus WHE, Treloar and DeGoey should all be able to do that, he didnt kick the goal did he? we have enough onballers, we need a KPP. if we had him fit every week, young, then yes, id take him over WHE at least, but hes not, never will be, and he has cost us far too much for a "match winner"against a bottom 5 team with two players on the bench in the last quarter.

Some of those players you mentioned could do it hypothetically,but the trouble is I don't actually recall them doing it in reality.

nope but i reckon in a well oiled machine they would be able to. look i like wells, he was a star, but he cost us too much, hes too old and hes too unreliable injury wise. the money could have been better spent, is all im saying.

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:36 pm

Don't recall anyone doubting Daniel's class.

But how many injury-prone 32 year olds get 3 year deals ?

If it were your last chance to save your coaching legacy would you trade the potential short term future of the footy club to save your own ass?

I know someone who would.

Still no surprises there and he is damm good to watch.

Fingers crossed the new regime can get the other players back on track and get Wellsy peaking in September 2018.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:37 pm

Never let a chance go by EVERY post in EVERY thread, christ it's boring.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:41 pm

droversdog65 wrote:

Please be more specific.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:47 pm

think positive wrote:

WRONG TP, ONE player in a team can certainly be a matchwinner, aka Buddy and Dangerfield. NO way would the Cats win some of their games, without Dangerfield, think bout that. Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:47 pm

The ball is in Wells court as to how much he wants to finish his career on a high or not.
He has always been silk but he has a long time history of avoiding hard work on the track ( ask any North supporter who attends their training ... if you can find one )
He arrived at the club in terrible condition and was fast tracked in order to get him right for the season opener. During that fast tracking, he did his first calf, so we can all do the maths.
I just hope he commits himself to a strong pre season that will allow his dodgy calf to best prepare for 6 months of solid footy.

We are a far better team when he is FIT and firing.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:51 pm

CarringbushCigar wrote:
droversdog65 wrote:

Please be more specific.

Please find a new topic
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:17 pm

Fantastic pickup, is sure to be a major asset in our flag tilt in 3 years...

Now to see him play against a decent opposition and see if he makes a difference...
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:25 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
think positive wrote:

WRONG TP, ONE player in a team can certainly be a matchwinner, aka Buddy and Dangerfield. NO way would the Cats win some of their games, without Dangerfield, think bout that. Surprised

actually in an earlier post i said he aint an ablett or dangerfield! hes too old, too injured, it was a nothing match,

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:38 pm

think positive wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
think positive wrote:

actually in an earlier post i said he aint an ablett or dangerfield! hes too old, too injured, it was a nothing match,

yeh, IF, IF,, Wells can stay fit, hes a very definite asset, as he has the skills of Pendles, when in full flight. As for age, hes no older than Hodge, Goddard, Simpson, Taylor, Lewis , Mitchell, etc. Cool

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Number 35 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:19 pm

Wells in 6th gear is more productive than Pendlebury in 5th. Or as it has seemed at times this year stuck in 4th.

There is no explosivness in Pendlebury and for all his class, Wells can call and perhaps raise him. Pendles likes making 1-2 plays while Wells looks to always drive forward.

In conclusion, Pendlebury is a Mercedes. Wells is a Ferrari.
Just that Ferraris are hard to keep on the road

Adam Treloar 3 Votes 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:39 pm

IMO he is a great pickup, didn't cost us any draft picks only cash and we had some of that to burn after all the retirements/trades/delistings last year.

I love watching him play, certainly makes us a better team and he provides much needed experience to a team with very little.

I imagine or would hope that our younger players would be learning a lot from him.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:44 pm

It's worth observing, respectfully, that one of the wins was a good game from him against Geelong, whereas the other 4 were all against cellar-dwellers (Hawthorn, Brisbane, Fremantle and Gold Coast). Of course, he barely touched the ball in the Freo game, because he was injured.

He's a fine footballer but it's probably just happenstance that he played in some wins.
Cruisinwithdids 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:45 pm

CarringbushCigar wrote:
Don't recall anyone doubting Daniel's class.

But how many injury-prone 32 year olds get 3 year deals ?

If it were your last chance to save your coaching legacy would you trade the potential short term future of the footy club to save your own ass?

I know someone who would.

Still no surprises there and he is damm good to watch.

Fingers crossed the new regime can get the other players back on track and get Wellsy peaking in September 2018.

Agree Carringbush - no one doubts how good Wells is, super player with speed and skill that is elite. But he is 32 and has played 40% of games in the 3 years before being signed (has played 40% this year) and we cannot expect that to improve as he heads to 35 on a 3 year deal. What is in question is the strategy for the future - this was a move to save Buckley at the expense of the club long term. I'm not hearing any talk from the club about the future, we seem to be lost strategically, obsessed by the survival of one polarising personality. We need to look to the future now - or we will cook another 5 years. The clubs around us on the ladder are promoting youth, taking their medicine and building. Buckley is still stubbornly obsessed with talking about finals in 2017 when we are clearly not good enough with the 3rd most players in the comp from other clubs - not prepared to go to the draft. It's madness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: