Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Austerity Cacophony and the End of Serious Platforms

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:34 pm
Post subject: The Austerity Cacophony and the End of Serious PlatformsReply with quote

This is a UK-oriented comment, but it applies to the Anglosphere generally.

For some time, I've been cursing Cameron and Osborne not simply for the absurdity of holding a referendum on a topic no one understood, but also for making people feel unsafe through a daily cacophony of austerity talk prior to the referendum.

Take it or 'leave' it, but someone has actually assessed the latter claim, and the problem wasn't simply austerity talk:

The Blog Post on the Topic wrote:
The austerity-induced reforms of the welfare state since 2010 have been extensive. Aggregate real government spending on welfare and social protection decreased by around 16% per capita; spending on healthcare flatlined; all while the ageing profile of the population was increasing demand for healthcare services. Further, spending on education contracted by 19% in real terms, while expenses for pensions steadily increased, suggesting a significant shift in the composition of government spending. At the district level, spending per person fell by 23.4% in real terms between 2010 and 2015, varying dramatically across districts, ranging from 46.3% to 6.2% with the sharpest cuts in the poorest areas.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/did-austerity-cause-brexit

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/research/centres/cage/manage/publications/381-2018_fetzer.pdf

Frankly, I don't have the time or energy to analyse the paper, but there it is for your perusal.

To my mind, Fetzer gets to the heart of the broader problem when he says:

The Blog Post on the Topic wrote:
The natural implication is well known to economists – trade integration (or globalization) and the welfare state are complements. In order to maintain continued public support for globalization, policy needs to deliver solutions for globalization’s losers.

Hawke-Keating understood this decades ago; hence, Keating's reforms are generally praised, while Thatcher's are associated with a disruptive extremism. Keating overtly balanced liberalisation with counter-strategies to support labour, including superannuation, union reform rather than decimation, a commitment to a strong safety net, and the establishment of an independent IR umpire. And, even if belated and hijacked by bureaucracy (see: http://theconversation.com/keatings-working-nation-plan-for-jobs-was-hijacked-by-bureaucracy-cabinet-papers-1994-95-89013), the ALP released a white paper entitled Working Nation as the centrepiece of its economic thinking in its second term, just to drive the point home.

In contrast, I currently see a political landscape populated by short-termist twats with little interest in resolving the age-old efficiency-stability dilemma through sophisticated policy. Furthemore, complex topics, like the rise of the rest of the world relative to the West, have been left for the likes of Trump to explain in simplistic, zero-sumist terms.

Some people think I should give Corbyn more credit, but he looks a lot more like an ideological 'correcter' than a unifier to me; having a serious personality is not the same as having a serious policy platform.

Am I missing a quality leader or party out there, or are integrated policy platforms no longer possible?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you make of Trudeau’s approach in Canada, PTID? I can’t say I follow Canadian politics closely, but he was elected on a promising platform if I recall correctly.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:38 pm

^^ interesting post, several things I agree with and several I do not.

I don’t think you can reasonably compare the Hawkeating government and Thatcherism. The latter inherited a near-bankrupt country with a badly degraded capital stock and a crisis of democratic legitimacy. Britain could have gone down the Portugal path by 1979 (major world power reduced to mendicant state). What Hawke-Keating set out to fix wasn’t really broken. The only problem was a BoP crisis which was fixed naturally by the rise of China and its demand for raw materials. Exactly what Keating pledged to change.

Britain has not really undergone a serious period of austerity. It had a public spending overreach caused by a naive belief (on all sides) that financial services was a golden goose. In 2007 we discovered that the eggs were painted, and tax revenues fell off a cliff. While governments are not households, they do have to broadly balance expenditure and revenues across a cycle, unless they print money or keep borrowing from the future. Sooner or later, both of those remedies cause a currency crisis, inflation, investment retraction, unemployment and misery. I think the very limited retrenchment of public spending (we are still running a deficit!) was necessary. A decrease from an unsustainable level s not absolute austerity, though it may feel like it.

Brexit is an act of self-harm, at this point. I think a referendum on the issue was justifiable, and I do not think it is for elites to demy th population a vote on major constitutional questions because “they can’t understand”. If we believed that we would never have general elections or constitutional change. That way madness surely lies.

The problem was holding the referendum amidst a sour mood caused by the above retraction of public spending and a sense of decline. Had the ref been held in 2004 I think remain would have won easily. It’s why I think another referendum should now be held once the deal is clear, so there are two clear options.

I agree that the allocation of public spending by the Tories has been a disgrace. They have protected pensioners - for narrow electoral advantage - at the expense of the productive workforce and infrastructure. Today’s pensioners draw down NHS services and pensions that they did not fund in their working lives. This is nothing like social equity, and it is our biggest problem. Someone needs to have a leader-like conversation about it, but no one seems able to do so in a society that prizes feeling over reason.

I am a conservative, but I am not a Conservative. The Tories would sell their children into slavery for power. So would Labour, of course, who rack up debt for the next generation in order to buy votes today. They pretend this is Keynesianism, which is an abomination on the great man’s memory. He wanted budgets balanced over the cycle. You expand public debt when times are bad, and pay back debt via supluses when times are good.

The large society which seems to have the closest to a sustainable social model is probably Germany, which seems to balance social protection with strong schooling, reasonable social discipline,fiscal discipline, acceptance of wealth achieved through business, and an underlying culture of honesty and compliance. Its economic model is probably not sustainable, being built on the sandcastle called the Euro, and it setting about ruining its social cohesion via mass immigration, but for now, at least, it works.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:45 pm

Now this could be an interesting discussion.

First off, I agree with Ptiddy that there doesn't appear to be any leaders of vision out there. Ones with the guts to look longer term rather than just the next election.

I also agree that the Hawke/ Keating government was a good one and made a lot of reforms for the good. Unfortunately I got to see the behind closed doors result of the union reform that didn't make the media which changed my views on them forever.

Howard was the next good leader and interestingly speaking of unions, did as much to strengthen them as Hawke/Keating did. The latter tore down the existing structure and forced them to build far better foundations but they also spoon fed them power they'd never had before. Howard made them get their shit together.

Thatcher IMO was the enema England badly needed. I'm sure it wasn't pleasant but the joint was farked. She tore stuff down and broke a lot of things, built a lot of new things but more importantly by razing a lot of shit to the ground she created the opportunity to build anew not just bring back the past. Single most important English PM since Churchill.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:03 am

I think the Hawke/Keating governments perhaps the most overrated in our history. Just one example - they sold off the Commonwealth Bank, which used to be owned by the people and could have been used to keep the other banks honest. Instead it has turned into one of our premier corporate pirates.

Their express strategy was to wean the economy away from being “a farm and a quarry” and turn it into a high-end manufacturing economy based on “elaborately-transformed manfactures”. In truth, I think they achieved very little of that. Australia’s vaunted twenty years of economic growth has been built on a resources boom, large scale immigration (Increasing the population by ~ 1% a year is headline growth only) and a boom in private debt.

Lots of dubious privatization, lots of neoliberalism, tertiary education fees, lots of rhetoric. Some tax reform was desirable and well managed, and the Mabo settlement was embraced, which I think undeniably basically fair. I’m struggling to think of much else that justifies its reputation. Howard, by the way, seems to to fly in the jet stream with Hawke and Keating in many ways, but with more tail wind from China. The airline logo changed, but neoliberalism, economic radicalism, debt creation and immigration were the pillars of government, leading up to the more fractured and unequal society we have today.

The Menzian courtesies and social settlement underpinned a broadly contented and successful society for many years. Australia is a nice enough place to live today, but had it evolved and modenised along those lines, I think it likely that it would have been better still.

Last edited by Mugwump on Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:17 am

David wrote:
What do you make of Trudeau’s approach in Canada, PTID? I can’t say I follow Canadian politics closely, but he was elected on a promising platform if I recall correctly.

I will try to read more on his views. Scanning the party PR blurbs on the page below seems to indicate that individual issues dominate. The slogan, "What does real change mean to you?" makes you worry there might not be a platform at all.

Here's a question you'd be able to answer far better than myself: is a coherent platform directed towards some national end even possible anymore? Perhaps Trudeau is right for the times and my expectations are old hat.

https://www.liberal.ca/realchange/

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:30 am

stui magpie wrote:
Unfortunately I got to see the behind closed doors result of the union reform that didn't make the media which changed my views on them forever.

You've probably explained this before, but what was the story here?

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:42 am

Mugwump wrote:
I think the very limited retrenchment of public spending (we are still running a deficit!) was necessary. A decrease from an unsustainable level s not absolute austerity, though it may feel like it.

But even if the whole Brexit thing didn't come to pass, wouldn't the seething anger still be there on the back of those cuts?

I think we both agree the Germans have it most right (even if I think the EU is a positive force and a critical counterweight to the US and China). But how on earth would the UK ever be able to shift in that direction enough, fast enough, for it to be a meaningful policy platform? And how could it be done on the back of a contraction in spending?

Sometimes, I think the UK's problems seem overwhelming...because they are!

My point on H-K was not so much comparison, though I did unwisely make the comparison to Thatcher, but more this idea of leaders and parties being able to piece together a policy platform. A plan to drag the UK in the direction of Germany would need something similarly comprehensive. Is it realistic given the present structure of the economy, or are we just musing theoretically?

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:36 am

^yes, I think there would be anger, because cuts always cause anger. It is human to resent loss more than to joy in gains. But anger comes and goes, and Britain has been a discontented society many times in the past without fracturing, or badly self-harming like this. It was angry in 1980, and happy-ish in 2005. It is part of leadership to endure the anger of change, and to look beyond the thorny path to the better lands beyond. The LibDems showed much leadership in that regard in 2010-15, little good though it did them.

I try to be measured about the EU. Like you, i accept that it may be a necessary counterweight to China and the US, and there is much to admire in its internal camaraderie and ease. I was in Portugal last week, and reminded again of how much hope it has brought to countries and people where history has been less than kind. However, I also love the local and particular, and I suspect the Eu will absorb and dissolve that in time. I dislike its inherently liberal naďveté. I do not want the UK to become a statelet - a Virginia or Massachusetts - of Europe. And though I admire modern Germany, I fear it will always dominate the EU, and that is not what our history was for. Still, perhaps another generation, further away from the horror and the glory, will see that differently. In any event, while the EU train may be steaming to a destination that I do not want, that destination is far enough away, and the journey sufficiently uncertain, that it seems foolhardy to leap off the train and risk injury now.

I think the UK is fixable, but it will take immense leadership. Britain was once good at finding leaders at truly critical moments, but evidently that’s not true right now.

Our respective remedies, as we know, would be quite different ; but one thing that we might agree upon is the need to shift the limited state investment to better uses. I would means test most of the welfare state, as in Australia. I would require some contributions to medical care from those who can afford it, via private health care. And I would start a conversation about more palliative /minimal care rather than very expensive procedures for the very old. The latter would seem hard, but in truth we deny young mothers adequate cancer screening and response while funding heart bypasses for 88 year-olds. Like children, we prefer the immediate and emotional response to the hard choice.

This money could be invested in STEM education, in seed-funding for start up businesses and employment in major regional cities outside London/Oxford/Cambridge. It could also kick-start a public housing programme for established, reliable citizens, funded by rents just a notch above government borrowing rates. Note that some of this would be a problem under Eu rules, so Brexit does have some upsides.

Is that a comprehensive platform ? Probably not. But the principles that underpin this type of thinking could be developed into one, and aspects of it would apply in Australia just as much as in the Uk.

Last edited by Mugwump on Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:00 pm

pietillidie wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Unfortunately I got to see the behind closed doors result of the union reform that didn't make the media which changed my views on them forever.

This was from my perspective. I'd grown up being a believer in unions and was a union member. In the lead up to 93 when they introduced the first enterprise agreements in the IR reform act 93, the government was moving to keep the unions who were chaffing at the bit with the wages accord happy. So they pushed hard behind the scenes to increase union involvement in all Government run enterprises (such as Telecom where I worked)with something called "The participate approach" which essentially meant joint union and management decision making, not just consultation.

My first hand experience of this was when the department I was in wanted to make some major organisational changes. A joint union management working party was established (most of the union reps were from Sydney and had their flights and accommodation in Melbourne paid for by Telecom) and the working party worked for months to come up with a joint agreed document which the union then refused to sign.

I remember speaking to one of the union guys who I had got to know and asking him why? They had gotten everything they'd asked for. He agreed and just with a cocky grin said they wouldn't sign it because they didn't have to.

That was the moment the wool really fell away from my eyes and I saw (most of ) them for what they were. They had no real concern over their members, they were in it for the power and the graft.

The same scenario was played out many times in may workplaces as a result of employers being handcuffed and bent over by union officials who were only interested in looking after themselves.

That world came crashing down in 1996 with a change of government and the workplace relations act and the changes to freedom of association laws which made "no ticket no start" illegal and it couldn't have happened to a more deserving bunch.

It meant they no longer had members and power handed to them on a platter, they had to suddenly re learn how to work for a living again and actually start focusing on members rather than themselves.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:13 am

Unions arose in a context where the individual labourer had no power relative to capital, and was thus highly vulnerable and often exploited. That was true in the 19th and early 20th century and unions did a great deal of good in that era.

In a world where the returns to capital are not greatly higher than the rate of interest, where knowledge work means the individual worker has quite a lot of differentiated value, and social protection and employment laws give individuals rights against their employer, the purpose is very cloudy. Unions have thus become just another agent pursuing narrow, sectional, rent-seeking interests, or mindless defenders of the work-shy and unprofessional individual.

Today, in Australia and the UK, they are mostly large corporations which produce no consumer benefit, operating in a monopoly context (mostly government, where they cannot kill the host) and/or heavy industries with a very high capital/labour ratio). In such a context, they advance the interests of their office-holders and their "shareholders" at the expense of the public.

Now, it does not have to be this way, and in much of Northern Europe, notably Germany and Netherlands, and in parts of Asia, they are able to serve a wider role looking at the interests of workers in the context of national, industry and enterprise competitiveness. But that requires a very different legislative context, and a very different quality of union leader.

Last edited by Mugwump on Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:17 am

What does have to be this way and in much of Northern Europe Germany and Netherlands they are able to serve a wider role looking at the interests of workers in the context of national industry and enterprise competitiveness ?
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:13 am

stui magpie wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

This was from my perspective. I'd grown up being a believer in unions and was a union member. In the lead up to 93 when they introduced the first enterprise agreements in the IR reform act 93, the government was moving to keep the unions who were chaffing at the bit with the wages accord happy. So they pushed hard behind the scenes to increase union involvement in all Government run enterprises (such as Telecom where I worked)with something called "The participate approach" which essentially meant joint union and management decision making, not just consultation.

My first hand experience of this was when the department I was in wanted to make some major organisational changes. A joint union management working party was established (most of the union reps were from Sydney and had their flights and accommodation in Melbourne paid for by Telecom) and the working party worked for months to come up with a joint agreed document which the union then refused to sign.

I remember speaking to one of the union guys who I had got to know and asking him why? They had gotten everything they'd asked for. He agreed and just with a cocky grin said they wouldn't sign it because they didn't have to.

That was the moment the wool really fell away from my eyes and I saw (most of ) them for what they were. They had no real concern over their members, they were in it for the power and the graft.

Fair enough, and pretty compelling insight from yourself at close quarters. These are the things that those generalising from the outside can't see.

Mugwump wrote:
Now, it does not have to be this way, and in much of Northern Europe, notably Germany and Netherlands, and in parts of Asia, they are able to serve a wider role looking at the interests of workers in the context of national, industry and enterprise competitiveness. But that requires a very different legislative context, and a very different quality of union leader.

You'd think the time is right for a new model. I'm surprised social entreprenuers haven't grabbed hold of the opportunity to bring service workers together somehow, minus all the old union guff. There is no reason that the same technology which facilitates mobility can't be used to bring interests together in a productive way. Flexibility is dominating over stability to a detrimental extent at the moment, although I understand the fear of organisations turning into mobs.

This tension between flexibility and stability is a central theme in my work and study in the employment/careers field, although I'm not sure where to run with it yet.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:11 am

At the enterprise level, “employee engagement” is pretty much the buzz word of the era, and in some areas the type of representation you suggest is taken seriously. Really good leaders manage to genuinely work with it to make change as positive as it can be. A lot, of course, just go through the motions of consultation to get to a pre-determined result.

Still, sincerity matters - and the interests of shareholders and employees, let alone customers, are far from identical. We can work to enlarge the intersection space as possible, but we shouldn’t be too pollyanna-ish about it.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:44 pm

While on the subject of unions, this seems to me to be a classic case of the union putting it's own interests first, cutting deals with employers to lower wages in return for increased memberships which means money and political clout.

https://www.theage.com.au/business/workplace/huge-pay-rise-for-coles-workers-after-scrapping-of-cosy-union-deal-20180811-p4zwwo.html

Quote:
Coles workers have received pay rises of as much as $150 a week after a substandard wages deal between the shop assistants union and supermarket giant was replaced.

The big boost in wages - an up to 20 per cent rise for some low-paid workers - comes after a long- running push by activists and a lengthy investigation by The Age.

Quote:
Both Coles and the Shop, Distributive & Allied Employees Association (SDA) had fought for years to keep the previous deal which paid tens of thousands of workers less than the minimum rates of the award, the basic wages safety net.

Quote:
The SDA is well known for its conservative social positions whether on abortion, euthanasia and for many years on same sex marriage.

It is the largest affiliate of the ALP and has substantial political sway in Labor and the ACTU.

An Age and SMH investigation across 2015 and 2016 revealed SDA deals across fast food and retail left more than 250,000 workers paid less than the award and saved business at least an estimated $300 million a year.

But despite that the fate of these workers has drawn little or no support from the broader union movement, even as unions have campaigned against penalty rate cuts, wage theft and flat wages.

Ms Ramnac had been suspicious of the SDA after her manager at McDonald’s pushed hard for her to join.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: