Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Should the Tavern be a 'closed' forum

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the Tavern be a clised forum?
Yes
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
No
86%
 86%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 22

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

luvdids wrote:
Isn't that what the Bored Board's for?? Shocked
And look how well visited that forum is Rolling Eyes

Of course it shouldn't. I'm always a 'guest' until there's something to say.

I agree.

maybe we could make more use of the Bored board if we wan't to keep stuff private, but even then nothing is really "private" posted on the internet.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:09 pm

Wokko wrote:
Imagine David's posts becoming public when he runs for the Senate for the Australian Conservatives in 20 years.

What have I ever posted that wasn't conservative? Wink

Seriously, though, I like to think I could stand by everything I've written, or at least explain why I held a given view at the time. I think we do ourselves a disservice by being embarrassed by our younger selves – if maturity is something to be sought, then it hardly makes sense to look at earlier stages of that essential process with shame.

As for the question, my preference is for the VPT to remain public, but I'm open to the idea of some kind of rebooted Bored Board that can function as the Tavern's private room, if there's demand for it. Happy to take suggestions on that.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:38 pm

David wrote:
Dare I suggest in many cases it is a mental illness. Although, seeing I don't know much about transsexuals, I may be wrong..

Damn you're right! Bernardi will be happy to have you. Not sure about your chances of replacing Ludlum though.

Laughing
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:46 pm

That was, needless to say, spoken from a place of total ignorance about the issue, although I'm glad I at least added the caveat that (at age 15) I might not know what I was talking about!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:49 pm

Hehehe, gees wokko were you saving that for a rainy day! Nice catch David!
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:52 pm

think positive wrote:
Hehehe, gees wokko were you saving that for a rainy day! Nice catch David!

I know David was quite conservative in his wiser youth and Nick's has a handy search function Laughing
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:54 pm

David wrote:
Wokko wrote:
Imagine David's posts becoming public when he runs for the Senate for the Australian Conservatives in 20 years.

What have I ever posted that wasn't conservative? Wink

Seriously, though, I like to think I could stand by everything I've written, or at least explain why I held a given view at the time. I think we do ourselves a disservice by being embarrassed by our younger selves – if maturity is something to be sought, then it hardly makes sense to look at earlier stages of that essential process with shame.

As for the question, my preference is for the VPT to remain public, but I'm open to the idea of some kind of rebooted Bored Board that can function as the Tavern's private room, if there's demand for it. Happy to take suggestions on that.

On your first point, if I ever grow up I'll keep that in mind. Razz

On your second, I think the Bored board could do with a re-boot to make it relevant again. The taverns private room is a good concept, or The members bar, same principle.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:48 pm

Well named the Bored Board - so boring!! 😴😴😴😴💤
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:57 pm

That's the thing – name change aside, what could we actually do to make it a place worth visiting?

I think the Bored Board worked for a while because it was a totally different crowd and atmosphere to here. People went to the VPT for (vigorous, and sometimes quite nasty) political debates; people went to the Bored Board for chats about everyday life, throwaway personality quizzes and the like. A sizeable proportion of the latter's user base then was teenagers and young adults. When that crowd left or got older, the board no longer had much purpose and just became a weird offshoot of the VPT. So I think it might be quite a challenge to create a new (or rebooted) private forum that actually works – it'd need a few unique selling points to start with.

Last edited by David on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:02 pm

David wrote:
That's the thing – name change aside, what could we actually do to make it a place worth visiting?

My initial thought? Pick some topics that will be moved from the VPT to the members bar, and move them. See what happens.

Scrap the idea of a "bored" board and make it the private members area for discussion on X topics.

may work, may fail spectacularly like the "other AFL" board. Try it and if it doesn't work, keep changing it til it does.

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:08 pm

Geez, I guess I rarely post.
I may well be one of those who just views and moves on. Not too welcoming suggesting that what has always been an open forum should perhaps become a closed shop. That sort of notion makes me want to post even less as I feel I'm simply intruding.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:11 pm

^

Did you vote? The no vote is winning.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:13 pm

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

My initial thought? Pick some topics that will be moved from the VPT to the members bar, and move them. See what happens.

Scrap the idea of a "bored" board and make it the private members area for discussion on X topics.

may work, may fail spectacularly like the "other AFL" board. Try it and if it doesn't work, keep changing it til it does.

(See edits on post above)

It's a possibility, but there's always the danger that you cut the VPT in half and kill both.

The clearest path I could see right now is to divide the VPT into one forum for politics/religion/philosophy chat and another (private?) forum for what made you happy/TV/cooking/life queries etc. Again, though, there's the fear that both might end up dying from lack of oxygen.

Before tinkering with the concept too much, it's worth considering that we've got something good here. A lot of bulletin boards haven't survived the social media age – Nick's is an exception, but even we don't actually have many active subforums left besides General Discussion and the Tavern. I'd be reluctant to mess with the formula too much.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:18 pm

Good point, leave it be
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:19 pm

Point taken. Social media killed the Bored board no doubt. Look at the historic content that's now on Facebook where you get an instant response and dopamine hit.

If anything, I'd swap your premise and keep the lighter stuff in the VPT with the heavier stuff in the members bar but you're right about killing the VPT trying to resuscitate the Bored board.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: