Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Should the Tavern be a 'closed' forum

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the Tavern be a clised forum?
Yes
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
No
86%
 86%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 22

K 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:46 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Another example, where such patient-confidentiality concerns are probably not relevant, is Kirby. A long time ago (months), a poster on this board stated with seeming certainty that it was all over in terms of football. Fairfax at the time noted only that it was believed the club knew what the condition was, though they chose not to specify it. The claim is that the club had made the decision, but for the player's and club's sakes did not want to announce it. A week or two ago, this claim did appear in the media (of course it could have surfaced earlier and not been noticed by me), and I'm guessing it's likely correct.

There are also happier examples than this...
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:54 pm

I really don't get what your agenda is here.

This thread was specifically about the Tavern, not general discussion.

Making GD a closed page where you had to log in to read anything would be ridiculous. If people couldn't read anything without joining, why would they even come here or join?

As far as people posting made up shit or private information and media or others picking it up, so what? Media types regularly trawl this and other fan sites (Big Footy in particular) as well as facebook group pages.

If you really think it's a good idea, post it in general feedback and see what the mods say.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:07 pm

I don't have an agenda. If I (or others) come to some sort of conclusion and am certain that some sort of policy regarding any forum is a great idea, I (or others) presumably then have a reason to make concrete suggestions in the Feedback Forum. Would you prefer me to remain mute until such time?

No one actually suggested making GD closed. Even if they did, I don't think that's a reason not to remain calm or to object to any discussion. Discussion is usually considered okay.

The claim that media types trawl these bulletin boards, if true, actually gives greater reason to have discussions about these sorts of issues.

Last edited by K on Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:09 pm

I am not so sure if I would like to prefer him or her to remain mute until such time.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:55 pm

K wrote:
I don't have an agenda. If I (or others) come to some sort of conclusion and am certain that some sort of policy regarding any forum is a great idea, I (or others) presumably then have a reason to make concrete suggestions in the Feedback Forum. Would you prefer me to remain mute until such time?

No one actually suggested making GD closed. Even if they did, I don't think that's a reason not to remain calm or to object to any discussion. Discussion is usually considered okay.

The claim that media types trawl these bulletin boards, if true, actually gives greater reason to have discussions about these sorts of issues.

The bigger concern is that ordinary people who trawl these pages will form the view that VPT is the Abbotsford branch of the We Are Definitely Not Fascists, However Unacceptable, Prejudiced, Intolerant and Jackbooted Our Views Are Society. At least if it was a closed forum, those of us who are not fascists wouldn’t need to feel constantly ashamed that supporters of other clubs can read Collingwood supporters saying such awful things.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:31 pm

^ Well, more concretely, a VPTer's boss could come on here, knowing before or after that the employee is a VPTer and, on the basis of what the boss reads, the employee could be sacked.

Such things have certainly happened in the past. (e.g. in the US, a photo of someone giving the finger to a political entourage went viral and the woman was sacked.)
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:33 pm

Rolling Eyes

Pretty sure my boss doesn't know me as 'luvdids'. If he does, good luck to the loser, I've always considered him a moron & has no idea how to run the company. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: