Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Should the Tavern be a 'closed' forum

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the Tavern be a clised forum?
Yes
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
No
86%
 86%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 22

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it only applies to commenting – how could we prevent opposition supporters from reading, and what could possibly be the motivation for doing so? The main purpose of that rule is to make sure that conversations don’t get derailed by (say) Carlton trolls, not to protect club secrets or whatever (as if we’d be privy to anything the kind).
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:42 pm

I hear you. [quote] yes block out non nicks members full stop can you do that applies to commenting – how could we prevent opposition supporters from reading and what could be the motivation for doing so?
K 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:53 pm

There are many questions (which I said, but perhaps to no avail)... Whether or not "we" can do anything about something is independent of that something. That's certainly not a good reason not to talk about that something.

I'm not just talking about "rules"; I'm talking about the sentiments of normal posters. Actually, it's not significantly easier to prevent an oppo supporter posting than to stop them reading. They could just not declare, Dooley-style, that they are an oppo supporter. And then what? If it were closed (and no one has suggested GD should be closed), that would actually make it identically easy to read and post. As things stand, it's somewhat easier psychologically for oppo supporters to read than to post.

There are also plenty of examples of things that people would not want out in the wider public... Perhaps such things should not be posted at all. I suspect there are big differences of opinion on that...

One advantage of Nick's BB over a certain other forum is that it's somewhat removed from other supporters. Some people in that other forum like being in proximity to and combat with other supporters. I've never got the impression that people here think like that.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:18 pm

Any opposition supporter with any kind of disruption agenda is going to out themselves pretty quickly; otherwise, if someone wants to pretend they are a Collingwood supporter and manages to effectively fly under the radar, what could possibly be the problem? I just feel like when the conversation moves from posting to reading, it all becomes pretty academic.

Of course, you’re welcome to start a thread and poll in General Feedback – the mods do try to keep up with proposals posted there, and we would consider it if we felt that it was a serious suggestion.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:56 pm

K wrote:
There are so many issues, I don't know where to begin... with randomly chosen points in small portions, I guess.

As a GD example, it's always been the case that oppo supporters have not been welcome, and presumably that feeling extends to visiting and not just commenting. There was a Saints fan around 2010 who participated and was treated cordially, but that's about it...

That’s because Dyso had the photos of him with his head in his hands, weeping, as the Pies shovelled on the goals in the Replay! Around the same time, they had to restrict access to saintsational because they realised that all of their registered users were actually Collingwood sleeper agents. Really, as long as we still have access to TankingCarlscum, I’m fine with the concept of open boards.
HAL 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:59 pm

That seems like a lot.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:03 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
That’s because Dyso had the photos of him with his head in his hands, weeping, as the Pies shovelled on the goals in the Replay! ...

Well, he joined a couple of years before then...
There was also apparently some Brisbane supporter around 2002-3...
Maybe they come openly when their team is doing well. Does Brisbane have any supporters any more?
K 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:55 am

David wrote:
... not to protect club secrets or whatever (as if we’d be privy to anything the kind).

Here's perhaps a more tangential example (out of many examples), but it's topical: a certain star player of ours is thought to have sustained a certain injury that required a certain remedy. There've been forum posts about this by someone apparently with privileged info (not here, and not by "us" --- hence you could claim it's tangential). Based on the partial evidence, I'm guessing it's more likely to be true than not. Obviously, if it's true, the club is trying not to let on. You could blame the poster's ethics (in particular, why he thinks it's okay to divulge this info just because he's not one of said player's treating health professionals). You could say lots of things. But you could also say that if such a thing were posted on a restricted forum, it'd be less public and therefore the effect of the breach less...

I haven't thought too much about it, so I won't suggest what relevance or irrelevance this has. But it's a noteworthy current example of a club secret leaking out...
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:56 am

Perhaps – an argument might then be that if we make the forum private, more such insider info might be posted. But such cases would be rare, and one suspects that the info would likely be reposted on BigFooty in five minutes anyway.

Last edited by David on Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:08 am

K wrote:
There are so many issues, I don't know where to begin... with randomly chosen points in small portions, I guess.

As a GD example, it's always been the case that oppo supporters have not been welcome, and presumably that feeling extends to visiting and not just commenting. There was a Saints fan around 2010 who participated and was treated cordially, but that's about it...

You joined in 2011 so how would you know about the Saints fan in 2010? Unless you were a 'guest'?? Laughing
HAL 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:11 am

Oops. Too much data.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:55 pm

luvdids wrote:
You joined in 2011 so how would you know about the Saints fan in 2010? Unless you were a 'guest'?? Laughing

Why stop there? How do I know about stuff in 2002? Apart from the fact that many people have changed their usernames for whatever reasons at least once (you might not have, but the former "luvdaisy" changed her name to "dai$yisthedevil"), this is not some sort of anti-guest thread, you know. I too can view posts right now as a guest, though I have to be logged in to post this. That doesn't mean I would (for example) quit the forum in disgust if I had to log in to view it; I would just log in. Maybe other people are different in that respect, and that's the sort of thing I'd like to know (along with many other things).

You are the one who complained recently about something like "no one posting" and "the forum being dead". I don't see how all those guests are going to help you with that complaint (though I don't know that making the forum closed would help either). If you look back at the sample comments from the GD thread (that I quoted on the previous page), you'll see that posters didn't want to drive people away. They wanted people to join and join in the discussion.
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:07 pm

K wrote:
luvdids wrote:

Why stop there? How do I know about stuff in 2002? Apart from the fact that many people have changed their usernames for whatever reasons at least once (you might not have, but the former "luvdaisy" changed her name to "dai$yisthedevil"), this is not some sort of anti-guest thread, you know. I too can view posts right now as a guest, though I have to be logged in to post this. That doesn't mean I would (for example) quit the forum in disgust if I had to log in to view it; I would just log in. Maybe other people are different in that respect, and that's the sort of thing I'd like to know (along with many other things).

You are the one who complained recently about something like "no one posting" and "the forum being dead". I don't see how all those guests are going to help you with that complaint (though I don't know that making the forum closed would help either). If you look back at the sample comments from the GD thread (that I quoted on the previous page), you'll see that posters didn't want to drive people away. They wanted people to join and join in the discussion.

I certainly didn't 'complain' about it, was merely an observation. No clue what guests helping with a non existent complaint has to do with anything?

As for going back and searching to see who's changed their name to what - no thanks, better things to do. Must make sure my grass is still growing.

Closing the forum is a ridiculous idea, can't we just leave it at that?
K 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:25 pm

I never asked you to "go back and search to see who's changed their name to what". It's clear that I never suggested doing anything like that (in fact, I don't know how one could do such a thing; there is no list of name changes one could look up), so why do you try to imply that I did?

Your opinion about making the forum closed has been noted.

I don't have strong views on whether to describe your comments as an "observation" or a "complaint". I have now been reminded that you did blame the alleged morgue-like state of the forum not on non-posters but on allegedly inane (but not explicitly named) posters.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:11 pm

David wrote:
Perhaps – an argument might then be that if we make the forum private, more such insider info might be posted. But such cases would be rare, and one suspects that the info would likely be reposted on BigFooty in five minutes anyway.

That suggests some interesting ideas... for another post.

In the particular example above, though, I actually think it was wrong for such info to be posted anywhere. This was private medical information, which is always supposed to be confidential. The poster was working in the medical environment of said player in some unknown capacity and justified his actions on the basis that it was not his patient. I don't think that's a convincing excuse. That seems analogous to receiving stolen property, for example, which is illegal even though you didn't commit the theft yourself. It's a bit shocking how casual people are about medical confidentiality. (Hospital lifts have notices reminding medicos not to discuss patients in public. And here we are with our what's-it-called central health records system...) I know people think it's magically different when a sportsman is involved, but no one has the authority to decide when patient confidentiality does or does not apply: by default, it must apply to everyone. Patients of course are free to reveal their condition themselves if they wish. No one else is.

If this view is 'correct', then ideally the word would have been shut down on any forum. Clearly, the club felt that it would be preferable for the player to play without public knowledge of his condition. I think it would certainly have been safer, though he got through the match unscathed. (There are other examples where such patient-confidentiality concerns are probably not relevant.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: