Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Forward problems solved?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:28 am
Post subject: Forward problems solved?Reply with quote

Unless I'm mistaken, yesterday's game was the first time we've ever had Moore and Reid play the whole game together up forward. In any case, it's definitely the first time this year. If - and it's a big "if" I know - Reid can stay injury free, then our KPP deficiency up forward may be over. At times, I've thought that Reid's days were numbered and that his injury prone body was in serious decline. Of course that may still turn out to be the case. However, it may also turn out that he remains relatively injury free for the next 2-3 years, enabling us just enough time to draft and then develop a new young tall forward as his replacement. Obviously Moore is still on a steep learning curve and should only get better and better, but if Reid can hold down the full forward spot, then this will relieve him of enormous pressure and enable Fasolo, Elliott and soon (hopefully) Kirby to play as small forwards. If we can maintain this structure for the remainder of the season, I would expect the presence of these 2 talls to straighten up our forward entries and result in greater scoring efficiency. Great credit must go to Goldsack, who has remodeled himself as a genuine CHB, enabling us the luxury of shifting Reid from defence to the forward line. Sure, there's lots of unknowns in all of this, and it may not work out as well as I'm hoping for, or Reid may be on crutches again in a week's time, but at the end of the day, in a year where not much has gone right for our team, I figure we are due a bit of luck and I'm banking on the Moore/Reid partnership to transform our team for the better over the remaining 6 games. Here's hoping anyway. Go Pies!
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:31 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Like your optimism and hope it rings true. We were fortunate that may went down and Reid was subsequently manned up by that 184cm monolith Trent Mckenzie whom gifted us 2 free kicks in front of goal.
mattys123 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:35 am

Add another Reid and yes we are close to a proper forward setup.

It's the backline I'm more worried about long term.

Goldy and Dunn are holding down the two KP back roles really well but won't be there in 2-3 years.

And we only have one young KPD in McLarty.

Everyone is screaming for us to take the best young KPF in the draft, I want us to take the best key defender.
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:58 am

I'd prefer we develop a beast type forward like a Rocca or Cloke to become the No 1 with Moore/Reid playing the support roles. They become more damaging when they have the 2nd & 3rd defenders on them.
i hate carlton 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:17 pm

The danger in having one number one forward to boot monster goals is that if that player doesn't turn up on the day - mentally or physically - we are destined to lose.

Carman had a brain fade and we needed those goals in a grand final we would have and should have won.

I like the mix we have at present, and Darcy is a gun. He is a premiership player, and as soon as he realises it the other 22 will be dragged into that mindset. A good forward that boots goals spreads confidence through the rest of the team. We have several forwards that inspire, and midfielders that shape the game on the day.

We need a team, not a player, to deliver a win, to deliver goals.

Now, having said that I watched Dangerfield boot Ablett like goals all day yesterday. So WTF would I know.

He's kicking pineapples!

My favourite nicks thread (Laugh at Carlscum): http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=66021&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
ROB 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:50 pm

Credit to Alex Fasolo - he has turned the corner it would appear. The forward line does look much better - still saw Moore and Reid getting in each others way - more experience on the field with each other will only help. Front and square was missing a few times. A few other points to note - why are we contributing to packing our forward line like a sardine can - I refer to the fact that our backline players were in the mix to kick goals from forward pocket/flank in congestion. I would much rather see a more open forward line - yes, I know - someone will say they were just following their forwards to the ball - we need to move the ball a little quicker to open contests. I think in the long term we should expect to see Daicos and Kirby paying that front and square forward line roving role - then I think we will be better off. We definitely need to plan for life after Reid - getting older and more susceptible to soft tissue injuries - but for now, this may just start to work if we can get consistent.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:15 pm

Fasolo needs to stay in the game for longer. He had 5 kicks, 5 marks and 2.1 by the 20 minute mark of the first quarter. He came really good again, late (and credit to him) - but he barely touched the ball in the middle part of the game. I understand that some of that is structural and the new coach will fix it but, really, the ball did go into the Collingwood forward 50 almost 65 times during the game.
ROB 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:34 pm

To be honest, the middle part of the game became a bit of a mess for us - they regained the lead during this period and to all forwards defence, delivery was not as good as the first quarter. If we move the ball fast and deliver with precision, honouring the leads of the forwards when they are presented, we should do much better.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:40 pm

Yes, yesterday's forward line is capable of kicking a winning score repeatedly.

Elliott and Fasolo can both kick straight and take a mark. Moore and Reid offer a target. May's hamstring was a big help.

Would love to add a quick, genuine crumbing & tackling forward to the mix. Perhaps Kirby offers that - he tackles and knows how to find the goals. Play him the remainder of the year and get him to work his backside off over pre-season to build fitness. Broomhead has not proven as effective as we'd have all hoped yet.

Make Jake Lever a priority trade choice, rather than Sam Reid for mine. Draft a Key back as well with an eye to a couple of year's time.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:57 pm

Simple answer is no rude. I mentioned during the second term I saw they moved Mackenzie to Reid and said isolate him deep he will have a field day. Mackenzie was never going to be able to handle Reid but when they moved Thompson to Reid then Reid was rendered useless in many ways. Only when we had both Reid and Moore forward did it work but they moved 2m Peter back for a bit as well which aided in slowing Reid down as well.
Live at the match Reid looked awfully slow at times in comparison to the rest of our forwards and there backs.
I think he's best days are behind him and I actually think he's better suited to CHB where he can read the ball coming in much better.
If we can get Lever then yeah leave him forward with Moore, Elliott Faz Kirby Sidey and we would have a decent forward lien capable of kicking 12+ goals a game plus whatever the midfield can contribute.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:31 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Simple answer is no rude. I mentioned during the second term I saw they moved Mackenzie to Reid and said isolate him deep he will have a field day. Mackenzie was never going to be able to handle Reid but when they moved Thompson to Reid then Reid was rendered useless in many ways. Only when we had both Reid and Moore forward did it work but they moved 2m Peter back for a bit as well which aided in slowing Reid down as well.
Live at the match Reid looked awfully slow at times in comparison to the rest of our forwards and there backs.
I think he's best days are behind him and I actually think he's better suited to CHB where he can read the ball coming in much better.
If we can get Lever then yeah leave him forward with Moore, Elliott Faz Kirby Sidey and we would have a decent forward lien capable of kicking 12+ goals a game plus whatever the midfield can contribute.

You might be right QM67, after all you saw it first hand, whereas I was reduced to watching it online. I guess I'm a glass half full kinda guy, but we'll see over the next few weeks how it pans out. I'm optimistic it can work for us but we'll find out soon enough I guess.
GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:33 pm

19 more inside 50s and we just scraped over the line.... not sure anything is solved yet... but if you're talking structurally, sure, spot on.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:33 pm

The mids need a target they feel confident kicking the ball to.
They don't appear confident kicking the ball to Cox or White.
For some reason, they feel confident kicking it to Reid. Perhaps he demands the ball? Perhaps he leads to good places? Whatever it is he provides a target.
As Albert Parker says it would also be nice to see a genuine crumber play at the feet of Moore and Reid.
Jpies 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:10 pm

ROB wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Fasolo needs to stay in the game for longer. He had 5 kicks, 5 marks and 2.1 by the 20 minute mark of the first quarter. He came really good again, late (and credit to him) - but he barely touched the ball in the middle part of the game. I understand that some of that is structural and the new coach will fix it but, really, the ball did go into the Collingwood forward 50 almost 65 times during the game.

To be honest, the middle part of the game became a bit of a mess for us - they regained the lead during this period and to all forwards defence, delivery was not as good as the first quarter. If we move the ball fast and deliver with precision, honouring the leads of the forwards when they are presented, we should do much better.

Don't think so. I don't think Fas will never change. He has never been a big possession getter, or a particularly good contested ball winner. Never was under MM and never has been under any of the teams Buckley has coached (which early on played MM's brand of footy, anyway).

But you know what? That's ok. He will probably average only 10 - 15 touches a match, but can be relied upon to kick an average 2 - 3 goals. Which is completely fine. He's a "link in the chain type player", a small/medium sized forward who can lead out, take a mark and convert. That is his role and he is good at it. This type of player is never going to get much of the ball when the side is down, and he isn't going to inspire the team around the contest if our players up the field are having a rough patch (the way Swan did, or Adams sometimes can).

But if the side can move the ball quickly into the forward line with good delivery, I think Fasolo is one of the best in the comp at playing that next link in the chain.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:02 pm

mattys123 wrote:
Add another Reid and yes we are close to a proper forward setup.

It's the backline I'm more worried about long term.

Goldy and Dunn are holding down the two KP back roles really well but won't be there in 2-3 years.

And we only have one young KPD in McLarty.

Everyone is screaming for us to take the best young KPF in the draft, I want us to take the best key defender.

Nah, all good mate, we get a young gun KPP Forward with our first pick, our second pick goes to a key defender, problem solved. Idea

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: