Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Dual Citizenship Crisis - s 44(i)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh, I don’t think they want me, I still don’t have my $£$%^%%$ ceremony letter!
ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:26 pm

think positive wrote:
Sigh, I don’t think they want me, I still don’t have my $£$%^%%$ ceremony letter!

I prepared all the stuff for an Irishman who had lived in Australia for 30 years. He lived in Armadale and his Northern Irish mate who lived in Malvern was applying at the same time having been her for 28 years. . I filled them both in and sent them in the same envelope. The plan was they would be at the same ceremony at Stonnington Town Hall. The Irishmans ended up in Manningham and I copped the abuse, So they had to go to seperate cermonies and the one without a car had to get to Doncaster on public transport on a public holiday.

Ring them up and say you need it to avoid having to go back to an abusive husband in England and to protect your children from his sexual abuse. Then tell them the delay is holding up your impending same sex marriage to a Koori lady who has only months to live having caught asbestos dust whilst she lived in a an asbestos hut as part of the stolen generation. Then say your friend the journalist is looking forward to it before he goes to cover the war in the middle east. They will tear the joint apart looking for your application.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:09 pm

^

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:13 pm

ha, thats a plan! thanks for reminding me though, i have to tell them im leaving the country, cos if they schedule me and i cant make it i have to start again, no way in hell im doing that! cheers!!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:12 pm

More carnage: four MPs and one senator resign (all Labor, except for the Nick Xenophon Team's Rebekah Sharkie) after Katy Gallagher ruling:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/may/09/dual-citizenship-high-court-rules-labor-senator-katy-gallagher-ineligible

I suspect Sharkie will struggle to win back her seat, given the Xenophon group's performance in the SA election – if so, that would be a huge victory for the Libs as they would double their majority in the lower house. The three Labor MPs probably have a good shot, though Lamb is probably at some risk of having her ultra-marginal seat taken back by the Coalition.

Seems an age ago that Shorten was talking up the ALP's internal procedures. Of course, the question now is whether the remaining Coalition members with question marks will have to face the music (the numbers would suggest not).

Just as a reminder of the absurdity of all this, at least one or two of these MPs filed their applications to cancel their dual citizenships before the election was even called – they were simply the victims of slow international processing.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:48 pm

Great outcome. With any luck, there soon won’t be a quorum in either place and they can just close the doors finally.

Lucky they didn’t put an IQ requirement in clause 44, that’s all I can say.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:32 pm

Little Bill's misplaced confidence just bit him right on the balls
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:51 am

It will be Tit for Tat now. The ALP will now name the LNP members with questions over their heads. Bill Shorten thought their system was good. It was good if people followed the system. Famous last words.

Malcolm and the LNP are confident they can win three of those seats. How about calling a Federal Election then and saving the tax payer money over a plethora of by elections?
K 

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:05 pm

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/why-are-all-our-dual-citizens-white-20180510-p4zefh.html
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:22 pm

I can’t stand that guy, but that’s actually an interesting thought provoking article!
ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:05 am

Shorten took the moral high ground and lost. But it is dumb rule. But they went an got Barnanarby. Can't whinge now.Most other parties fessed up
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:58 pm

K wrote:
https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/why-are-all-our-dual-citizens-white-20180510-p4zefh.html

Whether it's the point he was trying to make or not, it's some good food for thought for those who think we should scrap that section of the constitution.

Nobody got their knickers in a twist about any risks because the people were mainly british or Kiwi's.

But would we be happy to have an elected MP who was a citizen of Russia, or Iran, or China?

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:36 pm

stui magpie wrote:
K wrote:

Whether it's the point he was trying to make or not, it's some good food for thought for those who think we should scrap that section of the constitution.

Nobody got their knickers in a twist about any risks because the people were mainly british or Kiwi's.

But would we be happy to have an elected MP who was a citizen of Russia, or Iran, or China?

I am unsure what point he is trying to make.... that it’s somehow harder and more invidious to be the dual national of a non-white-British empire country .... thereby playing on his familiar trope that we’re racist, blah blah ? Or is he arguing that the section 44 clause is a good idea? I think it is the former, though of course he loves to play in this shadowy land of non-argument so it is hard to tell.

In truth, dual citizenship is little problem when it involves nationalities with whom we have a long history of similarity in culture, interest, kinship, history, foreign alliance, political systems, etc. Possibly divided loyalties are likely to be academic at best in such cases.

Conversely, dual nationality could be a big problem when you have sworn loyalty to a nation with whom we have substantially diverging interests and tenser relations. Who’d have thought it ?

And how hard is that to understand, unless you want to play the tired old “you’re racist and I’m a nice Person because I point that out” schtick which is the bread and butter of Waleed Aly ?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:49 pm

stui magpie wrote:
K wrote:

A mature, forward-thinking citizenry would, I think, because they would realise that the fact of attaining Australian citizenship is itself a sufficient requirement, and at least as much of a guarantee of loyalty as the accident of being born here (or being born to Australian-born parents, for that matter). Whether or not that includes the majority of Australians is another question.

I find it thoroughly disheartening that there is such strong opposition to a referendum on this stupid and outdated constitutional requirement in all corners of politics, even though the vast majority of Western countries have gotten on fine without it.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:17 pm

That's because it’s neither incorrect nor outdated. About 20 million or so people in the country are eligible to stand for Parliament. Why can’t we find a couple of hundred who have the basic competence necessary to ensure that they don’t owe allegiance to a foreign power? Losing their seats is probably a bit of a blow for the idiots who can’t organise themselves to meet the basic requirements of representing us in our democratic process. It’s less of a blow for the rest of us because there’s plenty of others who qualify lining up to have a crack. Since the jobs require neither skill nor intellect - save for the skill necessary to be elected, where’s the problem in saying “If you can’t meet the couple of basic, undemanding requirements that qualify you to stand, you should just be a lawyer, doctor, research scientist or stockbroker (I suppose there are other occupations but none come to mind, just now) like everybody else”?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 21 of 23   

Jump to: