Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Dual Citizenship Crisis - s 44(i)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam Gartrell pulls no punches here:

Quote:

When Pauline Hanson returned to Canberra last year after nearly two decades in the political wilderness the conventional wisdom was that she was older and wiser, more "sophisticated".

She had learned from the mistakes of the 1990s, when the party fell apart as a result of infighting and incompetence.

Citizenship, for example. In 1999 the party lost a senator, Heather Hill, when it was revealed she was a dual citizen of Australia and Britain. The new and improved One Nation would never be so careless.

When questions were raised about Malcolm Roberts' citizenship in July this year, that was the party's message in a nutshell. As Hanson's chief of staff James Ashby told Fairfax Media at the time: "We learnt from the Heather Hill case so weren't going to fall for that a second time."

Hanson told her 200,000 Facebook followers "hand on heart" Roberts was in the clear and it was all just a media witch hunt.

She's either a liar or a fool.

Here are the "empirical" facts: Roberts was a citizen of Britain for the first five months of his Senate tenure. Roberts may still be "choosing to believe" otherwise but not even his lawyer disputes this.

He did not go through the formal renunciation process until months after he took up his seat. So his case - if you can call it that - rested entirely on the notion that by sending a couple of emails to British authorities before the election he had taken "reasonable steps" to renounce his allegiance.

It was always flimsy and just minutes into Thursday's court appearance it fell to pieces: the man who claims he knows better than the world's scientists on climate change had sent his missives to non-existent email addresses.

It is now virtually unthinkable the court will allow Senator Roberts to remain Senator Roberts.

One Nation leader Pauline Hanson is standing by Malcolm Roberts despite his citizenship drama. Photo: Alex Ellinghausen

One Nation is not sophisticated, it's gobsmackingly sloppy. As Roberts told the court: "No one did any vetting that I'm aware of with me."

The party that claims it learned the lessons of the 1990s didn't even bother to screen its overseas-born candidate.

One Nation is not alone: the Greens and Nationals also stuffed up their vetting procedures in spectacularly embarrassing fashion. But when they realised their errors they came clean and took responsibility.

Senator Roberts did not. He changed his story half a dozen times in a desperate attempt to save his political skin.

And even now he is pleading ignorance, making the unfathomably absurd claim that Thursday was the first time he'd had it confirmed he was indeed once British. This is a guy born to a Welsh father, registered at birth as a British citizen, who referred to himself as a British citizen when he applied to become an Australian at age 19, who wrote a letter last year asking if he was "still" a British citizen, and who successfully – albeit belatedly – renounced his British citizenship last year.

But this was somehow the first he'd really heard about it.

When it comes to One Nation, ignorance is indeed in plentiful supply; but it's no defence in a court of law.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/the-empirical-strikes-back-malcolm-roberts-difficult-day-in-court-20170921-gylw51.html

He does commit one colossal blunder though when he writes: "One Nation is not alone: the Greens and Nationals also stuffed up their vetting procedures in spectacularly embarrassing fashion. But when they realised their errors they came clean and took responsibility."

Well the Greens did. The Nationals are still denying everything and have not even resigned from parliament or their illegally-held ministerial positions.

That aside, his roasting of the incompetent dishonest Ashby Party ... er ... sorry ... One Nation Party is delightful, and fully deserved.

Stock up on popcorn people, the party has only just started.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:45 pm

^ I was reading that yesterday.

From the dog ate his homework school of excuses with as much credibility Laughing

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:48 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Ah, the fine-print. Should have brought my glasses.

Nah, just consult a good Lawyer. Know any?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:54 pm

The pathetic oxygen thief Malcolm Roberts has been found to be English to his bootstraps by the High Court. Deport him now the lying turd.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:30 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Ah, the fine-print. Should have brought my glasses.

Nah, just consult a good Lawyer. Know any?

None that I can afford. Wink
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:48 pm

Gotta say, of all of them, he seems to be on the thinnest ice.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:54 pm

watt price tully wrote:
The pathetic oxygen thief Malcolm Roberts has been found to be English to his bootstraps by the High Court. Deport him now the lying turd.

Here 'tis: http://www.hcourt.gov.au/assets/publications/Re-Roberts-2017-HCA-39.pdf

At [98]: "Senator Roberts' email of 6 June 2016 was not apt to lead to a termination of his British citizenship because it did not contain a declaration of truth".

At [102]: "Senator Roberts' email of 6 June 2016 was not apt to lead to a termination of his British citizenship because it was not accompanied by the prescribed fee".

At [107]: "[T]here was no rational basis for the belief that he was always and only an Australian citizen. The absence of any rational basis in fact for that belief meant that Senator Roberts was driven to support his position by reliance on his highly subjective appreciation of the importance of commonplace incidents of his familial experience".

At [111]: "Senator Roberts, as tenaciously as he contended for this highly subjective (and objectively untenable) view of things, was unable to maintain this position. He was forced in the pressure of cross-examination to concede that he understood as at 29 April 2016 that, prior to May 1974, he had not been an Australian citizen because he became a citizen by naturalisation".

At [115]: "As I have said, I am not persuaded that Senator Roberts was not sincere in his tenacious advocacy of the position to which he committed himself by signing his nomination to the Senate on 3 June 2016; but the difficulties in his position to which I have referred test credulity too far to accept his evidence that he was confident that he was not a British citizen at the date of his nomination".

At [116]: "I find that Senator Roberts knew that he did not become an Australian citizen until May 1974. I find that, as at the date of his nomination for the Senate, he knew that there was at least a real and substantial prospect that prior to May 1974 he had been and remained thereafter a citizen of the United Kingdom."

I am just a little surprised, in light of all that, that the Honourable Justice Keane didn't quote, with approval, the following passage from reasons for decision in an earlier decision of highly persuasive (if not perhaps quite binding) character, pronounced in this thread, albeit on slightly different facts:

Pies4shaw wrote:
If people can't find out, given their own personal circumstances, whether or not they have or may have dual citizenship, they are not fit to govern us. .... It's like a stupidometer.
Laughing Laughing
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:55 pm

David wrote:
Gotta say, of all of them, he seems to be on the thinnest ice.

Rather fittingly, I think it would be fair to say that such ice as he might ever have been on has today been terminally melted by the effects of judicial warming.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:36 pm

In reviewing Senator Roberts' downright loopy views on climate change,

a wise man wrote:

there was no rational basis for the belief ... the absence of any rational basis in fact ... Senator Roberts, as tenaciously as he contended for this highly subjective (and objectively untenable) view of things, was unable to maintain this position ..... I am not persuaded that Senator Roberts was not sincere in his tenacious advocacy of the position to which he committed himself ... but the difficulties in his position to which I have referred test credulity too far to accept his evidencei ..... it's like a stupidometer.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:05 pm

I, Malcolm-Ieuan: Roberts., the living soul, have screwed up big time.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:45 pm

Tannin wrote:
In reviewing Senator Roberts' downright loopy views on climate change,

a wise man wrote:

there was no rational basis for the belief ... the absence of any rational basis in fact ... Senator Roberts, as tenaciously as he contended for this highly subjective (and objectively untenable) view of things, was unable to maintain this position ..... I am not persuaded that Senator Roberts was not sincere in his tenacious advocacy of the position to which he committed himself ... but the difficulties in his position to which I have referred test credulity too far to accept his evidencei ..... it's like a stupidometer.

The high court finds Malcolm Roberts irrational. Who'd a thunk? Shocked Laughing

Mr less than than 2% of the vote in QLD for the senate.

From the One Notion Party who manage to continually select f*ckups as regularly as you can say conspiracy theory. The first of the deplorables to go.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:37 am

Who's next in line? Pauline Hanson's sister, isn't it?

Edit: not quite.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-31/pauline-hansons-sister-unlikely-to-replace-roberts-in-senate/8759428

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:37 pm

Oh it keeps getting better Very Happy Very Happy

"...Having quit full-time work to google climate change for eight years, he entered Parliament to bust wide open the global warning “scam” and the “corruption” of the CSIRO and NASA — declared without evidence.
He had fans among climate change deniers, but to others he was inexpert, reliant on conspiracy theories, and could bore for Australia in open company
...".

".....And he praised himself in his First Speech on September 13 last year: “Like Socrates, I love asking questions to get to the truth.”
However, he has ended his political career as anything but an intellectual powerhouse, and dismally short of Socratic excellence
....."

and Malcolm Farr nails it here (if he hadn't already):

"....Senator Roberts has been a dithering pretender. He not only did not know whether he was a dual citizen, but whether he was a citizen of anywhere at all..."

http://www.news.com.au/national/politics/one-nation-senator-malcolm-roberts-was-a-dual-citizen-when-nominated-for-election/news-story/6578aeb01ed1387f8d4fe3b8edde6259

This of course invites the question: Was Malcolm Farr reading P4S on Nicks?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:05 pm

Aced the test! 100% and it was different to the practice questions!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:14 pm

^

Bloody Pom.

No Aussie would get 100% on that test.

Razz Wink Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 11 of 23   

Jump to: