Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Dual Citizenship Crisis - s 44(i)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I think the real kicker is how few of these politicians even realised they were dual citizens – you’d think something so fundamental would be obvious, but clearly very few of us from foreign backgrounds are or can be 100% confident what arcane citizenship rights have been conferred on us. It’s all extraordinarily capricious and, in my view, thoroughly unnecessary.

To those of you who support Section 44 being retained, let me phrase the question this way: if this wasn’t currently a constitutional requirement, would you be campaigning for a referendum to institute it?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:43 pm

If all current laws were just wiped and we had to start from scratch, how many would get back in, in the first cut? 20%?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:42 pm

Hopefully all of the sensible ones and none of the rest. Razz
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:50 pm

David wrote:
Hopefully all of the sensible ones and none of the rest. Razz

we are talking about politicians right? not happening!

K 

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:53 am

stui magpie wrote:
If all current laws were just wiped and we had to start from scratch, how many would get back in, in the first cut? 20%?

Not a good question, because clearly society would be overwhelmed by the number of laws needed. I guess a better version is to ask if you took one law at random how likely it'd be to be reinstated. That'd surely be more than 50% probability.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:54 am

Hmm, I wonder what the Americans would do if they looked at The right to bear arms? Surely they would at least amend it!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:52 pm

This is on again – seems Josh Frydenberg has finally been referred to the court of disputed returns, this time by a resident of the electorate. Kind of surprised this hasn't happened sooner.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/jul/31/josh-frydenbergs-citizenship-challenged-by-constituent-who-feels-betrayed-on-climate

Of course, any decision that found him to be ineligible would be horribly unjust, as his family were in fact Jewish refugees from Nazi-controlled Hungary. But the law is the law, and unfortunately it seems quite likely that by the letter of the law he is as much a dual citizen as all the others who went to the High Court in the last parliament. It's all going to be a very expensive procedure for no practical outcome – one would suspect that he'd easily win a by-election and indeed gain a significant amount of sympathy from the electorate over this case – but the tricky thing is whether it's actually possible for him to renounce citizenship and stand again, if found ineligible. In any case, the only good thing to come of this is that it will keep the focus on how atrocious Section 44 (i) is and end any illusion that it's somehow a fair and reasonable law – and hopefully demonstrate how much of a priority it should be to get rid of it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23
Page 23 of 23   

Jump to: