Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Dual Citizenship Crisis - s 44(i)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:48 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

This ex-Masterchef contestant has a wicked sense of humour - I love it!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:20 pm

Bucks5 wrote:
This ex-Masterchef contestant has a wicked sense of humour - I love it!

Brilliant!!

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:01 pm

Beside all the schadenfreude which I cant quite get on board with given that, for all the unsuitability of Roberts and others for the job, none of them actually did anything to deserve this the most interesting thing to come of all this is that Turnbull is apparently going to get a joint parliamentary committee to look into Section 44(i) and see if they can recommend any changes. Thats a long way from a referendum, but at least its a step in the right direction even though governments in the past have repeatedly ignored committee recommendations in the past.

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/House_of_Representatives_Committees?url=laca/section44\chap1.pdf

1997 report wrote:
[The Committee] is also particularly concerned that there is every possibility of increased litigation under subsections 44(i) and and (iv) and unless some action is taken to rectify the uncertainty created by these constitutional provisions there is a real danger of instability in the political system.

Perhaps theyll have a little more motivation this time around.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:48 pm

David wrote:
Beside all the schadenfreude which I cant quite get on board with given that, for all the unsuitability of Roberts and others for the job, none of them actually did anything to deserve this the most interesting thing to come of all this is that Turnbull is apparently going to get a joint parliamentary committee to look into Section 44(i) and see if they can recommend any changes. Thats a long way from a referendum, but at least its a step in the right direction even though governments in the past have repeatedly ignored committee recommendations in the past.

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/House_of_Representatives_Committees?url=laca/section44\chap1.pdf

1997 report wrote:
[The Committee] is also particularly concerned that there is every possibility of increased litigation under subsections 44(i) and and (iv) and unless some action is taken to rectify the uncertainty created by these constitutional provisions there is a real danger of instability in the political system.

Perhaps theyll have a little more motivation this time around.

^ True, David, and interesting that it was identified as a potential snag in the water 20 years ago. It needs to be sorted out, because it is not a clause fit for the modern world, but in the meantime, it is playing out as just another piece of barren my-team your-team politics. The modern preoccupation with this type of puerile gotcha politics is one reason that so many normal human beings despise the political processes, and leaders, we now have. Neither of the existing main parties seem to have any real philosophical basis at all. To their credit, the Greens at least seem to have a set of guiding principles behind their politics. I think those destructive and wrong headed, but at least they have something worth engaging with.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:03 pm

The saga continues.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-31/stephen-parry-tells-government-his-father-may-be-british/9104482

David Libra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:18 pm

How can Labor still be unscathed by this? Surely only a matter of time...
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:51 am

David wrote:
How can Labor still be unscathed by this? Surely only a matter of time...
The ALP went through this when I was younger. They put a system in place from memory. That's not to say it won't happen. Stephen Parry's arrogance is a perfect example why we have so many LNP's caught up in this.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:45 pm

So, the Senate has no President. What if no one notices? Perhaps it would be best if they just used the Parliament as temporary shelter for homeless people.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:19 am

Frydenberg now. This is a disgrace. The Hungarian and other states who were happy to see the back of the jews now can make laws for those they repulsed children. How many of these jewish stateless people were offered therir home and possessions back. Toi be honest if this is an issue then Frydenberg should take this to the UN and see what they say. The whole business of Government, right or wrong, has been hamstrung by something it was never ment to be.

It is simple. Did Hungary offer to take back the refugee Jews. If the answer is no then back off. Stateless means that. I decline to be a stateless person. The world has gone mad. Who is the arsehole who brought this up in the first place.

David Libra

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:41 am

Precisely. The longer this goes on, the more absurd our constitutional provisions on dual citizenship look. Cases like Frydenberg's should highlight how absurd and unjust our law is. Let's hope that common sense wins out and parliament can start to lay the groundwork for a referendum.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:56 pm

Shorten is now backing an audit, as he should. Bring it on and as far as I am concerned Section 44 should remain as it is.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:00 pm

Is that a command?
David Libra

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:12 pm

Culprit wrote:
Shorten is now backing an audit, as he should. Bring it on and as far as I am concerned Section 44 should remain as it is.

Thats quite a backflip, but a welcome one all the same.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:22 pm

Huge backflip by Shorten, but I want an audit as well.

It's become ridiculous now.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:38 pm

Perhaps we need a complete look at the whole constitution. I mean look at bullshit in the USA about the right to bear arms etc whilst having 100s left in Guantanamo bay with no such a thought of their basic human rights.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 14 of 23   

Jump to: