Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Bugger the $million review: here are our ten problems

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:53 pm
Post subject: Bugger the $million review: here are our ten problemsReply with quote

1.Small and slow: 17 players under 182 cm with only 2 of them with genuine leg speed

2. Five General Managers of Football: in 5 years. How many mixed messages would have floated around the footy dept, player group and admin areas??

3. Injuries: 4/6 years Bux has been cruelled by genuine, win loss affecting injuries that have no doubt affected us. Freeman and Scharenberg were game changing losses.

4. Players brought in: Aish (2 second rd picks on 4 year deal), Mayne ($500,000 for 4 years), Wells ($550,000), Greenwood ($500,000 for 4 years) whom have squeezed our salary cap.

5. Tackling: not often spoke about on Nick's but can't help but see that outside Goldsack and Crisp, we can't make tackles "stick"!

6. Kicking skills: what can I say that we all don't know. It is galling to see supposed A graders butcher the ball EVERY week.

7. List imbalance: we have 12 half back flanker types, 18 midfielders and 6 forwards and 2 Rucks

8. Inflexible coaching moves: to think that Howe hasn't played 20 minutes forward since Round 3, 2016 is the embodiment of rigid!

9. No faith in youth: as other clubs blood and rotate youth into the seniors. We make our youngsters climb Mt Everest, discover penicillin and complete a PHD for some senior selection

10. No forecasting: failed to "read the tea leaves" of GWS and Gold Coast affect like the Hawks. Worst time to rebuild vs topping up.

FIX IT!

GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.... are you serious, we have 17 players under 182cm? Combine that with your assessment about the list balance and that is incompetence at best. The General Manager changes has been mentioned by quite a few ex-coaches who know the lay of the land but how do you know anything a GM says reaches the players. Is that really how the chain of command works at a footy club? I only played amatuers but the only person addressing us was the coach. We wouldn't had a clue about any politics going on.

You've pretty much nailed the issues. The skills were identified back in the first year Bucks took over. How many times have we all thought "how could our most skillful player in the history of our club consciously oversee such ineptness in the skill department".

The one I think you missed is 11. Decision Making. What I don't understand is that our decision making was actually getting much much better prior to the Dees game. Then... poof.... like a magic act, it's gone.

makri Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:19 pm

But their beep test results were off the charts.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:18 pm

GoWoodsmen wrote:
Wow.... are you serious, we have 17 players under 182cm? Combine that with your assessment about the list balance and that is incompetence at best. The General Manager changes has been mentioned by quite a few ex-coaches who know the lay of the land but how do you know anything a GM says reaches the players. Is that really how the chain of command works at a footy club? I only played amatuers but the only person addressing us was the coach. We wouldn't had a clue about any politics going on.

You've pretty much nailed the issues. The skills were identified back in the first year Bucks took over. How many times have we all thought "how could our most skillful player in the history of our club consciously oversee such ineptness in the skill department".

The one I think you missed is 11. Decision Making. What I don't understand is that our decision making was actually getting much much better prior to the Dees game. Then... poof.... like a magic act, it's gone.

Maybe you missed my attempt at a little bit of my "levity" insofar as my list imbalance comments were concerned. In regards to the General Manager stuff reaching the players etc.... Well their charter includes:

1. Recruiting players from other clubs along with Hine. Examples of this include Neale Balme meeting Treloar, Allan securing Mayne (oh) etc..

2. Doing player player contracts and delistings

3. Coordinating the team on match day from the boundary and box in support of Bux

4. Travelling with team on every interstate trip

As the title suggests General Manager of Footy Operations he has a pretty broad player charter.

BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:29 pm

Bugger the $million review: here is our one problem

1. Buckley

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:36 pm
Post subject: Re: Bugger the $million review: here are our ten problemsReply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
4. Players brought in: Aish (2 second rd picks on 4 year deal), Mayne ($500,000 for 4 years), Wells ($550,000), Greenwood ($500,000 for 4 years) whom have squeezed our salary cap.

Don't Give Up on Aish Yet. Wells is worth that but been too Injured. Greenwood has been Very Sold.

Mayne is the only Big F**k Up.

What about brining in players like:

- Karnezis
- Clinton Young
- Jordan Russell
- Quieten Lynch

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:49 pm
Post subject: Re: Bugger the $million review: here are our ten problemsReply with quote

Dave The Man wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

Don't Give Up on Aish Yet. Wells is worth that but been too Injured. Greenwood has been Very Sold.

- Karnezis (swapped for J. Paine)
- Clinton Young (free agent)
- Jordan Russell (swapped for Tom Young pick 71)
- Quieten Lynch
(free agent)

Am not too concerned with these given they are mere top up players for free virtually and are merely replacing players 38-43 on our list.

Invigoration 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:23 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

- Karnezis
- Clinton Young
- Jordan Russell
- Quieten Lynch

I don't reckon the combined wages of those 4 guys would even equal Mayne's yearly salary Laughing
No harm in having a punt on a few blokes like that.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:51 pm

BEAMER09 wrote:

1. Buckley

One would hope, hope, that our next coach, whomever he may be, gets a better go from some fans than what Bucks got, no doubt if he flusters a bit, the usual suspects will want to knife him after two seasons, I can see it coming now. Rolling Eyes

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
uncanny 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:56 pm

inxs88 wrote:
1.Small and slow: 17 players under 182 cm with only 2 of them with genuine leg speed

2. Five General Managers of Football: in 5 years. How many mixed messages would have floated around the footy dept, player group and admin areas??

3. Injuries: 4/6 years Bux has been cruelled by genuine, win loss affecting injuries that have no doubt affected us. Freeman and Scharenberg were game changing losses.

5. Tackling: not often spoke about on Nick's but can't help but see that outside Goldsack and Crisp, we can't make tackles "stick"!

6. Kicking skills: what can I say that we all don't know. It is galling to see supposed A graders butcher the ball EVERY week.

7. List imbalance: we have 12 half back flanker types, 18 midfielders and 6 forwards and 2 Rucks

8. Inflexible coaching moves: to think that Howe hasn't played 20 minutes forward since Round 3, 2016 is the embodiment of rigid!

9. No faith in youth: as other clubs blood and rotate youth into the seniors. We make our youngsters climb Mt Everest, discover penicillin and complete a PHD for some senior selection

10. No forecasting: failed to "read the tea leaves" of GWS and Gold Coast affect like the Hawks. Worst time to rebuild vs topping up.

FIX IT!

number 1 reason is by far the biggest factor
"we want to be known as a grunt side" is our coach's philosophy
fair enough, you need that but you need attacking fear to beat the opposition we have so many men of the smaller stature on our list
the grunt men
not nearly enough thinking about aerial strength and what it can add to the side
that's what makes the game easier and gets you the points in the end, on top of the grunt

melliot 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:57 pm

I still can't help but watch us on field and think we are the worst oganised team and have the worst team work in the league.

That is the coaching team's responsability.

Good list or poor list. Good coaching should at least see us work in an ordered manner on field. We are a rabble.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:58 pm

uncanny wrote:
[quote="inxs88"][b]1.Small and slow:[/b] 17 players under 182 cm with only 2 of them with genuine leg speed

[b]2. Five General Managers [/b]of Football: in 5 years. How many mixed messages would have floated around the footy dept, player group and admin areas??

[b]3. Injuries:[/b] 4/6 years Bux has been cruelled by genuine, win loss affecting injuries that have no doubt affected us. Freeman and Scharenberg were game changing losses.

[b]4. Players brought in[/b]: Aish (2 second rd picks on 4 year deal), Mayne ($500,000 for 4 years), Wells ($550,000), Greenwood ($500,000 for 4 years) whom have squeezed our salary cap.

[b]5. Tackling[/b]: not often spoke about on Nick's but can't help but see that outside Goldsack and Crisp, we can't make tackles "stick"!

[b]6. Kicking skills:[/b] what can I say that we all don't know. It is galling to see supposed A graders butcher the ball EVERY week.

[b]7. List imbalance:[/b] we have 12 half back flanker types, 18 midfielders and 6 forwards and 2 Rucks

[b]8. Inflexible coaching moves:[/b] to think that Howe hasn't played 20 minutes forward since Round 3, 2016 is the embodiment of rigid!

[b]9. No faith in youth: [/b]as other clubs blood and rotate youth into the seniors. We make our youngsters climb Mt Everest, discover penicillin and complete a PHD for some senior selection

[b]10. No forecasting:[/b] failed to "read the tea leaves" of GWS and Gold Coast affect like the Hawks. Worst time to rebuild vs topping up.

FIX IT![/quote]

number 1 reason is by far the biggest factor
"we want to be known as a grunt side" is our coach's philosophy
fair enough, you need that but you need attacking fear to beat the opposition we have so many men of the smaller stature on our list
the grunt men
not nearly enough thinking about aerial strength and what it can add to the side
that's what makes the game easier and gets you the points in the end, on top of the grunt
Oops. Too much data.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:53 am

Piesnchess wrote:
BEAMER09 wrote:

1. Buckley

One would hope, hope, that our next coach, whomever he may be, gets a better go from some fans than what Bucks got, no doubt if he flusters a bit, the usual suspects will want to knife him after two seasons, I can see it coming now. Rolling Eyes

Yeah, there were a lot that wanted Malthouse replaced in 2004/5 and even in 2008/9. Welcome to Collingwood.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:14 am

Mugwump wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
BEAMER09 wrote:

1. Buckley

Yeah, there were a lot that wanted Malthouse replaced in 2004/5 and even in 2008/9. Welcome to Collingwood.

Which of course, was totally ridiculous, in both cases. In 2009, all we needed was a decent ruckman, which we got. As to the earlier crying, we'd been mauled by a monster for several years in a row which would have got just about anyone here crying, we were good but not good enough - that's life.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:49 am

inxs88 wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

- Karnezis (swapped for J. Paine)
- Clinton Young (free agent)
- Jordan Russell (swapped for Tom Young pick 71)
- Quieten Lynch
(free agent)

Am not too concerned with these given they are mere top up players for free virtually and are merely replacing players 38-43 on our list.

Places on the list are limited. We could have been developing a young KPP instead. Hawthorn have been developing Tim O'Brien for the last 4 years. Only now is he showing his potential while our cupboard is empty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: