Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Where is the President? (now the new host of The Footy Show)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Piesnchess wrote:
If Eddie is to make a fist of it at the Footy show, hes got to dump a lot of irrelevant crap on it, a lot of it by that dimwit Crawford, who is not funny at all, and get back to actually analysing and talking FOOTBALL. This is where Mangarook is such a good show, because they actually, believe it or not, discuss FOOTY, with out side issues and childish pranks, mysoginistic jokes, Gay jokes, and dumbarse lewd comments, most of which are very outdated and passe now. As for Eddies role as our President, on this show, under the spotlight, I really am dismayed, I don't know what to say.

I share your viewpoint pnc, but unfortunately it seems the opposite is going to eventuate. I read somewhere that Eddie said he wanted to let Sam Newman off the leash and bring fun back to the footy show! That does not sound like he's planning on it being focused more on footy. It actually sounds like more boring in-house, boys club (non) humor. Go figure?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:51 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
If Eddie is to make a fist of it at the Footy show, hes got to dump a lot of irrelevant crap on it, a lot of it by that dimwit Crawford, who is not funny at all, and get back to actually analysing and talking FOOTBALL. This is where Mangarook is such a good show, because they actually, believe it or not, discuss FOOTY, with out side issues and childish pranks, mysoginistic jokes, Gay jokes, and dumbarse lewd comments, most of which are very outdated and passe now. As for Eddies role as our President, on this show, under the spotlight, I really am dismayed, I don't know what to say.

I share your viewpoint pnc, but unfortunately it seems the opposite is going to eventuate. I read somewhere that Eddie said he wanted to let Sam Newman off the leash and bring fun back to the footy show! That does not sound like he's planning on it being focused more on footy. It actually sounds like more boring in-house, boys club (non) humor. Go figure?

There's already too many programs that do "serious analysis". People want some entertainment and that's what the Footy Show was in it's heyday. It was loosely based on a sportsnight blended with the old 7 World of Sport.

Why does everything need to be serious?

So many intellectual midgets who take offence at anything and everything in the world today, what's wrong with lightening up a little?

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:23 pm

What exactly are his motivations for this?

Does he want another avenue to be able to respond to personal criticism at a time it's taking a hit on many fronts and his continuing Collingwood Presidency is being called into question.

Is it out of ego because his baby is on the brink of being axed and channel 7 have launched a superior product in The Front Bar?

Is it out of a sense of loyalty to channel 9 or Sam Newman who many now regard as a relic of the past with outdated views on society?

While Ed has had a successful career and wouldn't need to work another day in his life I always get annoyed when people (or Ed himself) remind us that being President of Collingwood is an unpaid position.

Honestly if people can't see that being our President has been as beneficial to Ed career wise as he's been to us club wise I'm staggered.

Being our President would have introduced him to a whole host of influential and powerful business, political and media people as well as those within the AFL executive across nearly 20 years.

Without the added cache of being our President over all these years then most likely his standing in the game would be somewhere between Rex Hunt and Craig Hutchinson.

He'd still be wealthy and considered successful but he wouldn't be as highly respected by the elite or feared by those who'd dare challenge him.

At present without the Presidency then his biggest presence is as a 5pm quiz show host and on Triple M breakfast radio when the respected players in that area are on the AM dial.

I still have an admiration and fondness for Ed and appreciate what he has done for the club but just like The Footy Show our club feels stale and in need of fresh ideas and people to take us forward and Ed I fear is unwittingly blind to this now and is surrounded by sycophants or at worse is putting his own personal desire to be President instead of being motivated by what's best for the club.

If he is to remain I can only hope he surprises and still shows he's prepared to make the tough calls and replaces respected friends in Buckley and Pert among others in order to get this club back to being a power of the competition and halt our decline.

Last edited by swoop42 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:24 pm

stui magpie wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

There's already too many programs that do "serious analysis". People want some entertainment and that's what the Footy Show was in it's heyday. It was loosely based on a sportsnight blended with the old 7 World of Sport.

So many intellectual midgets who take offence at anything and everything in the world today, what's wrong with lightening up a little?

Watch The Front Bar.

It'll give you what you're after.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:36 pm

swoop42 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Watch The Front Bar.

Only if they sack Mick Molloy.

I like Sam Pang but the only time Molloy has been funny this millennium is when he's sooking after a richmond loss.

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:08 pm

I don't mind Molloy actually and I really like Sam Pang.

I loved the small bit near the end of this weeks show regarding the shark that attacked Mick Fanning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKisVhduoVo

Scroll to 51:45.

"It had a shocker".

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:50 pm

stui magpie wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Watch The Front Bar.

Only if they sack Mick Molloy.

I like Sam Pang but the only time Molloy has been funny this millennium is when he's sooking after a richmond loss.

Yeah, I reckon Sam Pang is a naturally funny guy, whereas Mick Molloy is an absolute try hard.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:12 pm

stui magpie wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Fair enough mate, but Crawford and Hughes are NOT funny, and Sam is a Dinosaur well past it. Its a panic move by Ch 9, living in the past, bit like trying to bring back Hey Hey its Saturday now ! Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:29 am

Come on mate. Crawford and Hughes are hilarious. Gary Lyon is a genuine funny guy as well. You feel sorry for his marital problems. The footy show went downhill when they went for dual hosts. Gary Lyon could have done the show by himself. Brayshaw isn't funny and he's not the straight guy. Hutchy was thrown to the wolves and now he's the fall guy for 4-5 years of bad decisions by ch9.

And hey, hey, it's Saturday was he best thing on free to air TV before ch9 axed the show. I'd have the show back in an instance if ch9 had the guts to axe the reality crap they screen and bring back some professional entertainers over the me generation who want to get their faces on TV.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:18 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Come on mate. Crawford and Hughes are hilarious. Gary Lyon is a genuine funny guy as well. You feel sorry for his marital problems. The footy show went downhill when they went for dual hosts. Gary Lyon could have done the show by himself. Brayshaw isn't funny and he's not the straight guy. Hutchy was thrown to the wolves and now he's the fall guy for 4-5 years of bad decisions by ch9.

And hey, hey, it's Saturday was he best thing on free to air TV before ch9 axed the show. I'd have the show back in an instance if ch9 had the guts to axe the reality crap they screen and bring back some professional entertainers over the me generation who want to get their faces on TV.

Crawford and "funny"is a contradiction in terms, IMHO, though Brownless is mildly funny. As for Hey Hey, they did try to bring it back a few years ago, and it flopped badly, the Computer Generation had passed it by. But I do agree there are far too much Reality shows, cooking and Renos, etc, I actually don't watch much TV now, only docos,sport, some movies.

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:55 pm

swoop42 wrote:

What exactly are his motivations for this?

Dunno.

I'd take a stab at empire building, addicted to power, addicted to work, mid-life crisis.

How busy is he going to be with MMM 5 days a week, Fox footy 2 days a week, running MacGuire Media, and now the effort to redesign his baby ?

Not to mention what he needs to be doing at Collingwood, currently deep into the most significant 'independent' review in our history.

Me don't think this can possibly end well.

The only way out is if he gets clear air at Collingwood in 2018.

I disagree with Robbo's conclusion that if Bucks goes Ed should go, I actually take the opposite view - one of them has to go.
It's not acceptable blaming the current situation on Pert, Dekka and Burnsy.

Hopefully this review is his political masterstroke to release Bucks and Pert, limiting any personal bad blood.

If he takes the punt on keeping Bucks and we get anything like more of the same in 2018, the whole thing could fall like a house of cards.
Achilles 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:41 pm

Saw Ed and MM sitting together at today's game. Read into that what you will.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:22 pm

Achilles wrote:
Saw Ed and MM sitting together at today's game. Read into that what you will.

The ol bloke Eddies new comedy side kick on the FS, hmmm.... the plot thickens. Razz

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:11 pm

If you want something done ask someone who is busy.
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:13 pm

Mick looked excited to be there with Ed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9   

Jump to: