Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Congrats Saints, re little Elliott.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:42 am
Post subject: Congrats Saints, re little Elliott.Reply with quote

I know this is off topic, but I would appreciate it if the Mods could keep it here for just a day or two. I just want to congratulate the Saints, and Nick Riewoltd, for what they did for little Elliott last night pre game. Elliott is only four years old, and is related to my daughter in law. He suffers from the same awful illness that led to Nicks sister passing. We are all right behind him in his brave fight against this illness, re funding, and as I type this, I have on my wrist his wristband, with Brave as a Bear written on it, I will not remove it until he is cured. Last night, he was thrilled to bits to be carried thru the Saints banner by his fave player, Nick, who visited him at home pre game, and told Elliott that he is his hero, a really lovely chat between them. Elliott led the team out last night,with his brother, carried shoulder high by Nick, and I defy anyone who sees the vision, its on the AFL and channel 7 websites, not to have a dry eye. I reckon the saints smashed the tigers for him and Nicks sister, they were on a mission, to give a small boy, a fantastic night. Once again, congrats to all concerned, this is one of those things that puts things all in perspective, such as coaching issues etc. I know the Pies have done similar things for very sick kids, and its all good. Onya Elliott, we are all there with ya buddy. ! Wink

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:55 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post mate. Gives us all some perspective too.

Well done to both Richmond and St Kilda.

Good luck to Elliott.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:40 pm

Gee, I thought I would have got more than just one response on this, looks like some here on Nicks are more concerned about sacking coach issues, than the life of a small child. Very disappointing, I expected more from fellow Collingwood fans, I am pretty dismayed by this. sigh.

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:35 pm

Good show, Riewoldt has always been classy

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:16 pm

PNC I watched the saints v Richmond game and your 150% right mate brought a tear to my eyes. I was sitting in our media room with 2 mates my wife and there wives (we were allowed some more footy before dinner benign served)
My mate who's known to be a old softy was very emotional and his wife said and I quote "geez love harden up" his reply was very poetic "sweetheart every time I see or hear somethings like this I think how lucky we were to have 3 healthy beautiful kids and I couldn't for a second understand how this child and his parents must feel"
We all sort of sat there silent for a few minutes until my wife (who always has an opinion on everything hence why I didn't need to buy a set of encyclopaedias because she knows everything) said well let's not sit here on our hands & wallets let's make a little difference.
She called the number on the screen and we as a group of life long friends made a donation
Well done to both Richmond and St Kilda for there ongoing support for this terrible disease.
Some times footy just isn't important when you look at life
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:28 pm

^

Good post mate, a little perspective is always a good thing.

It's always sadder for me when someone young, kid or not, gets sick like that. They never actually get a chance to have a life. Older farts like you and me, at least we've had some time whether we spent it well or not.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:39 pm

Great post PnC.

You go Elliot...you can beat this!!!!

Prayers with you.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:35 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Good post mate, a little perspective is always a good thing.

It's always sadder for me when someone young, kid or not, gets sick like that. They never actually get a chance to have a life. Older farts like you and me, at least we've had some time whether we spent it well or not.

Correct stui our biggest issue seems to be if our footy team wins
In life sort of not that important really.
We've been lucky mate have a healthy son who's at uni making his own way in life (with the help of his mother and my credit card 😫😫) and he's never missed a beat after being a 8 week premi.
We've spent our time on this earth cheering crying and praying for Collingwood which has been fun painful & an obsession.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:56 pm

^

My daughter was 13 weeks prem. 26 weeks, 3 days.

Her and her brother are healthy as now, making their own way as you say.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:23 pm

Thanks for all your nice comments, well said. I thanked the saints and Riewoldt on their bigfooty blog, and I got over 100 likes, of course, that's not what this is all about, not about me, its about a small boy and his parents, and all others, confronted by this dreadful illness, the more people who know about it, the more funding they can get, the Maddie foundation. Thanks again.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:20 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

My daughter was 13 weeks prem. 26 weeks, 3 days.

Her and her brother are healthy as now, making their own way as you say.

Geez mate and I thought 8 weeks was scary.
The thing that never leaves my mind was sitting in the neonatal intensive care unit feeling absolutely useless whilst the amazing doctors and nurses went about there business with no fuss or stress (unlike me). The sound of the monitors beeping and the alarm sounding when he feel into sleep apnoea is still fresh in my mind from over 20yrs ago.
Other than a few fleeting seconds immediately after his birth we had to wait a month to actually be able to hold him outside the humi crib for longer than a few seconds at a time. A eye dropper of his mother milk (5ml to be precise) at a time for food.
Didn't make q difference if we were the richest people or poorest people in the room we all got equal treatment from the fantastic staff.
When they finally discharged us we nearly couldn't leave us the car carrier I had brought didn't have belts that adjusted small enough to hold him in properly so I had to go and get one with Velcro that could hold him lol
Several years later I was fortunate enough to be in the position to be the chairman of a charity in a rural town. It was a collaboration of the local RSL, a Toyota dealership, Big W, the owner of the local McDonald's (in near by towns) and the regional council. We decided after hearing stories of how much equipment cost the local hospital to start our own foundation to assist. We the local nurse in charge gave us a list of its they would like but there budget wouldn't cover. We looked over the list and there was a neonatal resuscitator on the page. I spoke to Megan the head lady and asked why. She said well if there's a premi baby born in our district we have to transport them to the nearest base hospital which means the mother travels with the baby but the father more often than not is left behind with other children or work commitments due to it being over a 3hr drive each way to just visit. She said this way they could keep the family together.
The cost was over $35,000 (this was back in the early 2000's) we run different events from sportsmans nights to car servicing to plant sales to mc happy day and various raffles etc. 6 months of hard work later we added our fundraising up and had raised over $50,000. We purchased the resuscitator and had enough left over to do a mini make over of the children's ward. Over the subsequent years we continued to raise funds for various items and each and every time the local community dug deep and we exceeded our aim. The common factor was children and how best to be able to help them and there families.
Of all the committees and organisations I've led or been part of this one was the closest to my heart for obvious reasons.
How Nick Jack and both clubs have taken this tragedy and turned it into not only a rememberance of Nicks sister Maddie but a way forward to help others is fantastic and they deserve every bit of congratulations that comes there way
Pete 70 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:13 pm

Brilliant post PnC. I agree with all of your sentiments in the opening post.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:43 pm

^^ I would also like to mention, that when little Elliott goes to hospital, as he has often, this little 4 year old is just so incredibly patient, even with all tubes in him, he just rests there so patient. Amazing, how many four year olds would be so patient, so brave. ? Team Elliotts motto is Brave as a Bear, and he could teach all of us a lesson about bravery. Just incredible.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:17 pm

Great post PNC.

I did see Elliott on Channel 7's pre-game coverage last weekend. I wish the little guy all the best in his fight against this illness.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:36 pm

Best wishes to Elliott in his fight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: