Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Back to REAL Basics, Magpies. !

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:58 pm
Post subject: Back to REAL Basics, Magpies. !Reply with quote

Having barracked for the Woods for over fifty years, thick n thin, I think I'm entitled to put in my two bobs worth regarding the clubs present malaise and woeful form. Putting it bluntly, I reckon we have to get back to bare rock basics, in all departments of the whole club, Obviously, the players confidence is at rock bottom, confidence in our players and coach is shot to smithereens. We are playing kind of scared, risk free footy, almost bruise free, hesitant, no flair, and its leading to gross errors, blunders, howlers, awful mistakes, and generally horrid footy all round. What frustrates me, and I'm sure all of us, is that I still honestly believe we have a pretty sound list, but our players are just bereft of all confidence, self belief, no mojo, their combined confidence is shot to pieces, and it shows. It seemed to stem from losing that virtually unloseable game v the Giants, that really stuffed us, then the Deees umpire loss really knocked the tar out of us, downhill ever since. Of course we missed Moore and Howe badly today, and the loss is even more galling because essendoper are not a great side at all, but we made them look good, with our inept play and sad blunders, self made errors.

Obviously, the season is done, no Finals, so its time to get back to real basics. Time to play our kids, play all of them, brown, daicos, and especially Kirby, who is starring now. Our VFL team is going well, so high time to give the kids a real go, kids coming into a team can be a breath of fresh air, youthful enthusiasm can do wonders for a struggling team down on all form. I also firmly believe a decision on Bucks must be made now, one way or the other, this constant speculation is, in my view, distracting the team, it needs to be settled as soon as possible, next week, one way or the other, either he gets re signed for one more year, or hes told its over, it has to happen. At Board level, we need change, I wont name names, but some have been their too long, and Eddie, mate, I think its time to have a good long think about your future. Our assistants coaches need changes too, as does the fitness department, we cannot continue with this well trodden path of just plodding along, we need big changes off field too. Time to put all our resources into the main game too, the real Collingwood football club, the mens AFL team. No more of all this PR spin and junk re the womens footy team, or the netball team, dominating the clubs magazine, website, and pre season. These are novelties at best, this is not the real Collingwood, time to put all this stuff on the backburner, and concentrate of the real team, the mens AFL Team, no more pizaaz and hoo ha, back to basics. Finally, we need a mini cleanout of some of our players, nothing too drastic, but with an early draft pick, we need a top young KPP forward, and perhaps recruit sam reid, to join his bro ben with us. The club needs some real innovative thinking now, we can turn this around quickly, in football things can change fast, look at the doggies, they did it, and the tigers did it too, well, up until tonight they did anyway. ! I just think we must make some big decisions, on all fronts, and get this great club back on track, we should start re building for next season right bloody now, the season is done, lets at least get something out of it, eg, play all our kids, for starters. !! Idea

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:09 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Love ur passion sweetheart!! Where's it been for 6 years. What you say is the truth sister. But it's a little late don't you think? You gave us all shit for saying the same thing for the last 2 years??

But.. I welcome you with open and warm arms. The club is cooked. Has been for years. Sadly we've had Carlton spies like Pert, Craig Kelly and Bucks convince the board to screw over our most successful coach since at least 58. Better late than never that you wake up. Sad you gave zero f@cks two years ago though. Could have avoided us being the minnow we are now
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:10 am

Love your passion and agree with most of the things you say. The one reservation I have is that we shouldn't do anything rash that we will regret later. First thing to do is to address the coaching situation. Then go through the list and look at the position of each player relative to the list. If we have too many of one type of player (which I believe we do) then we have to make decisions on which players we keep and which players we let go.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:19 am

Krakouer Magic wrote:
Love ur passion sweetheart!! Where's it been for 6 years. What you say is the truth sister. But it's a little late don't you think? You gave us all shit for saying the same thing for the last 2 years??

But.. I welcome you with open and warm arms. The club is cooked. Has been for years. Sadly we've had Carlton spies like Pert, Craig Kelly and Bucks convince the board to screw over our most successful coach since at least 58. Better late than never that you wake up. Sad you gave zero f@cks two years ago though. Could have avoided us being the minnow we are now

Actually buddy boy , I have always been a passionate Piesman, but the downward spiral of the club took me completely by surprise, as I'm sure it did most fans. Look, two years ago, Bucks had only been there four yrs, and his then team was literally crippled with long term injuiries. I recall a game that year when we were so short of fit players, playing the Lions one night, we had to recall a guy who had played in the VFL that same afternoon, to make up the team, that's how many injured players we had. And really, a coach deserves more than four years, MM had a long run, one flag in twelve years, and look at Hardwick now, hes still there. I did not give a zero fck two years ago, but I had at least a bit of optimism that we could come good sooner rather than later, at least I had faith in the team. But it has gone pear shaped, and big changes must now be made, I just hope our next coach, whomever he may be, gets a decent go from some on here, david parkin said last week a coach does not come learn the AFL coaching caper for his first five yrs, then he comes good, so I hope our next coach gets a better go. Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:12 pm

^ sometimes, when it comes to guesses about the future, arrogant know-alls pick the outcome of the race. In this case the Buckley White ants were right, where the rest of us - more loyal, more conscious that the future is uncertain in a complex system, more demanding of evidence - have waited for more facts to come in and called it later. Arrogant know all's will then act with characteristic lack of humility or grace, because reality rewards them relatively rarely. Nothing croaks as loudly as a crow with a fresh carcass.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:47 pm
Post subject: Re: Back to REAL Basics, Magpies. !Reply with quote

Piesnchess wrote:
Having barracked for the Woods for over fifty years, thick n thin, I think I'm entitled to put in my two bobs worth regarding the clubs present malaise and woeful form. Putting it bluntly, I reckon we have to get back to bare rock basics, in all departments of the whole club, Obviously, the players confidence is at rock bottom, confidence in our players and coach is shot to smithereens. We are playing kind of scared, risk free footy, almost bruise free, hesitant, no flair, and its leading to gross errors, blunders, howlers, awful mistakes, and generally horrid footy all round. What frustrates me, and I'm sure all of us, is that I still honestly believe we have a pretty sound list, but our players are just bereft of all confidence, self belief, no mojo, their combined confidence is shot to pieces, and it shows. It seemed to stem from losing that virtually unloseable game v the Giants, that really stuffed us, then the Deees umpire loss really knocked the tar out of us, downhill ever since. Of course we missed Moore and Howe badly today, and the loss is even more galling because essendoper are not a great side at all, but we made them look good, with our inept play and sad blunders, self made errors.

Obviously, the season is done, no Finals, so its time to get back to real basics. Time to play our kids, play all of them, brown, daicos, and especially Kirby, who is starring now. Our VFL team is going well, so high time to give the kids a real go, kids coming into a team can be a breath of fresh air, youthful enthusiasm can do wonders for a struggling team down on all form. I also firmly believe a decision on Bucks must be made now, one way or the other, this constant speculation is, in my view, distracting the team, it needs to be settled as soon as possible, next week, one way or the other, either he gets re signed for one more year, or hes told its over, it has to happen. At Board level, we need change, I wont name names, but some have been their too long, and Eddie, mate, I think its time to have a good long think about your future. Our assistants coaches need changes too, as does the fitness department, we cannot continue with this well trodden path of just plodding along, we need big changes off field too. Time to put all our resources into the main game too, the real Collingwood football club, the mens AFL team. No more of all this PR spin and junk re the womens footy team, or the netball team, dominating the clubs magazine, website, and pre season. These are novelties at best, this is not the real Collingwood, time to put all this stuff on the backburner, and concentrate of the real team, the mens AFL Team, no more pizaaz and hoo ha, back to basics. Finally, we need a mini cleanout of some of our players, nothing too drastic, but with an early draft pick, we need a top young KPP forward, and perhaps recruit sam reid, to join his bro ben with us. The club needs some real innovative thinking now, we can turn this around quickly, in football things can change fast, look at the doggies, they did it, and the tigers did it too, well, up until tonight they did anyway. ! I just think we must make some big decisions, on all fronts, and get this great club back on track, we should start re building for next season right bloody now, the season is done, lets at least get something out of it, eg, play all our kids, for starters. !! Idea

Can't argue with most of that pnc. It's a sad state of affairs, that's for sure.

However, the one thing none of us external to the club can really know, is how much of our poor performances is due to poor coaching? Maybe I'm just too loyal to Bucks, but I can't help but feel that our recruiting department has let him down badly in recent years, and the revolving head of football department position, has destroyed any semblance of stability and clarity within our footy department. In truth, this season was sabotaged before it began, with the Gabby Allan/Neil Balme fiasco. Balmey was a fantastic influence around the club and was a great mate of Bucks. FFS, recruiting aged players in Wells, Mayne and even Dunn (who has done a fine job) has set us back a couple of years imo. I also can't help but feel that Eddie has his hand in too many pies nowadays and inadvertently took his eyes off the ball.

Whatever happens, will happen, but if Bucks is replaced by Roos, then I will stop following the Pies.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:51 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:

Actually buddy boy , I have always been a passionate Piesman, but the downward spiral of the club took me completely by surprise, as I'm sure it did most fans. Look, two years ago, Bucks had only been there four yrs, and his then team was literally crippled with long term injuiries. I recall a game that year when we were so short of fit players, playing the Lions one night, we had to recall a guy who had played in the VFL that same afternoon, to make up the team, that's how many injured players we had. And really, a coach deserves more than four years, MM had a long run, one flag in twelve years, and look at Hardwick now, hes still there. I did not give a zero fck two years ago, but I had at least a bit of optimism that we could come good sooner rather than later, at least I had faith in the team. But it has gone pear shaped, and big changes must now be made, I just hope our next coach, whomever he may be, gets a decent go from some on here, david parkin said last week a coach does not come learn the AFL coaching caper for his first five yrs, then he comes good, so I hope our next coach gets a better go. Surprised

There are quite a few anti-Buckley folk on here who went way too early, calling for his replacement from the end of 2013. I think, though, that it's been blindingly obvious since 2015 that he can't coach. I take no pleasure in it but am very, very concerned about the time that we look like we will have lost - about 2 and a half seasons - even assuming he does not stay after this year.

At the moment, Nathan has coached more games without winning a flag than any Collingwood coach other than Bob Rose - Bobby got them into 3 Grand Finals in his 8 year stint (his ninth and tenth years in the 80s were really a favour to get us out of a hole the administration had dug for us) - and Tom Hafey (who coached for less than 6 seasons - and, of course, the only reason he coached more games than Nathan over the same number of years is because he kept getting us deep into the finals every year, except the last.

On any reasonable analysis, his continued presence as coach is untenable.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:58 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Can't argue with most of that pnc. It's a sad state of affairs, that's for sure.

However, the one thing none of us external to the club can really know, is how much of our poor performances is due to poor coaching? Maybe I'm just too loyal to Bucks, but I can't help but feel that our recruiting department has let him down badly in recent years, and the revolving head of football department position, has destroyed any semblance of stability and clarity within our footy department. In truth, this season was sabotaged before it began, with the Gabby Allan/Neil Balme fiasco. Balmey was a fantastic influence around the club and was a great mate of Bucks. FFS, recruiting aged players in Wells, Mayne and even Dunn (who has done a fine job) has set us back a couple of years imo. I also can't help but feel that Eddie has his hand in too many pies nowadays and inadvertently took his eyes off the ball.

Whatever happens, will happen, but if Bucks is replaced by Roos, then I will stop following the Pies.

I don't believe the highlighted part for a minute.

We could actually get a coach who has had some grooming as an assistant coach with diverse experience. Bucks never had that and because of Eddies eagerness not to lose Bucks to North thereby allowing Bucks time elsewhere to develop as a coach & then Ed came up with the transition that has simply been a mistake -judging by the results.

See Bolton, Goodwin, Cameron, Richardson, Clarkson, Lyon, Hardwick and the Cray twins amongst others (in this day & age).

Last edited by watt price tully on Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:02 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach said:
Quote:
The one reservation I have is that we shouldn't do anything rash that we will regret later.

I think you are about 7 years too late for that one!

But seriously, we do not want a Malthouse to Carlton situation - good coach lousy team, so hit that draft, up-skill those skills, particularly goal kicking rucking and clearances, and for Buddha's sake, don't score a goal, get the clearance, then kick the ball straight to the opposition!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:58 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

Isn't that drastic?

Why stop supporting the club as a whole because they don't reach a decision to your liking?

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:56 pm

Jezza wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Isn't that drastic?

Why stop supporting the club as a whole because they don't reach a decision to your liking?

Because you have to draw the line somewhere, and that's up to the individual.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: