Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2017 Trade and Draft period now concluded. Good luck to all.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Drafting is such a hit and miss situation really.
Just for shits and giggles can anyone guess how many 1st round draft choices have actually won the Copeland medal and who are they ?
I'll tell you 2 Alan Didak and Scott Pendlebury !!
That's it 2 1st round draft picks (yes we still have chances JDG Moore Scharenberg can win one in the future remember Adams and Treloar don't count they were trades)
How many 1st round draft picks have gone on to play 150 more games for us any guesses ???
7 in total in 31 drafts and 2 of those (Daisy and Pendles) came out of the same draft !
So when drafting what do we go for ?
Do we look at take the best tall option left and hope and pray he can be a

Interesting... But on Copeland Trophies, how many have come second behind another first-round pick, i.e. behind Pendlebury? (Maybe just Sidebottom?) And would Travis have been a first-round pick if he'd been available? (Surely, yes.)
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:00 pm

K wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
Just for shits and giggles can anyone guess how many 1st round draft choices have actually won the Copeland medal and who are they ?
That's it 2 1st round draft picks (yes we still have chances JDG Moore Scharenberg can win one in the future remember Adams and Treloar don't count they were trades)
How many 1st round draft picks have gone on to play 150 more games for us any guesses ???
7 in total in 31 drafts and 2 of those (Daisy and Pendles) came out of the same draft !

Interesting... But on Copeland Trophies, how many have come second behind another first-round pick, i.e. behind Pendlebury? (Maybe just Sidebottom?) And would Travis have been a first-round pick if he'd been available? (Surely, yes.)

Yes Sidey came second once behind Pendles and 3rd. Asfor others I'm not sure but by looking at the history of it E most of our 1st round draft picks haven't been super by the numbers (games played) we've actually had 9 by memory who haven't played 10 senior games which is a huge worry.
If by Travis you mean Varcoe he was a trade if by Travis you mean Cloke he was pick 39 as a father son so wasn't a 1st round pick but did win a Copeland around 2007/08 by memory.
I'm not knocking the players or the club was simply stating some times the draft isn't a sure fire solution to any problems you have.
The afl would be aware of this as well (they would have loads more data than I can research or be bothered researching) hence they they have a minimum amount of draftees and or rookies that must go onto a list each year and why they have imposed the must use 2 of 4 1st round picks
Clubs like the Hawks Swans Geelong have used the draft sparingly for a while and I think this again made the afl make changes to the drafting rules
K 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:15 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
K wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

Yes Sidey came second once behind Pendles and 3rd. Asfor others I'm not sure but by looking at the history of it E most of our 1st round draft picks haven't been super by the numbers (games played) we've actually had 9 by memory who haven't played 10 senior games which is a huge worry.
If by Travis you mean Varcoe he was a trade if by Travis you mean Cloke he was pick 39 as a father son so wasn't a 1st round pick but did win a Copeland around 2007/08 by memory.

Yes, I meant Cloke (2007 Copeland winner) and meant and wrote that he would have been a first-round pick if he'd been available (if not a father-son pick, and also under the current father-son rules), the point being that this sort of thing skews the statistics a little. (I also know you were meaning this as interesting trivia rather than a definitive criterion of drafting success...)
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:38 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
piedys wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
And as usual, we are reported as having some interest.

Mate, Kim Jong-un could put himself in the draft and we'd be the first club touted for his services...

It's a pity we've already given up our 2nd round pick, because if we managed to snare Kim Jong-Un, I'm sure he'd have a great Korea with the Pies. Rolling Eyes

Wow that's a dad joke if ever I've heard one.,

But where to play Kim Jong-un?

(anywhere he wants)

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:51 pm

Pick 6 to Brisbane for pick 18 + Schache

Fasolo + pick 18 + pick 36 to West Coast for pick 13 + pick 30.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:35 pm

swoop42 wrote:

Schache alone would cost us pick 6. I think we'd maybe need to throw in a player to get him.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:07 pm

Lazza wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
Question for all the posters in this thread -

Would you still want Collingwood to draft the best tall available at pick 6 if the club felt he wasn't going to be " anything special " ( by example - not likely to play more than 100 games in a ten year career )

My answer is " no " because pick six deserves a better outcome.
You don't just use your first rounder to fill a key position if the club doesn't think he will cut it.
We, including myself, can all wish for us to pick up a first round tall in this draft but that won't help us if he isn't good enough.

This is why my preference is to use pick 6 for a play at Lever but failing that, we should all be prepared for the Pies picking the " next best player " at six. At least we know what we get with Lever and he is also plug n play from day one.

I get your point as there have been pick ones who have not made it big.

But getting the best available at pick 6 least gives you a better mathematical chance (barring unforeseen injuries of course) of that player playing 100 games than a tall who might go normally at pick 17 and not play 50 games. Its all about risk assessment coupled with skill, speed and potential (X factor)

Yep, fair call.

I guess I'm just throwing in a scenario where I imagine the club would prefer to be remembered for using pick six on ( another ) 200 game midfielder, rather than a 100 game KPP.
Just a scenario of course but these are the choices all clubs are faced with every time the draft comes around.
Hopefully it's our turn to really nail this one whichever way we go.
MP magpie 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:30 pm

Jack Darling from WCE?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:32 pm

Damien wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Schache alone would cost us pick 6. I think we'd maybe need to throw in a player to get him.

Schache would be an interesting choice. With a couple of years in the system he should be just about ready to go, which would create a dilemma at selection.

If we think Cox and Moore can be the 2 talls in the forward line, Shache plays VFL waiting for a chance. Can we play 3 talls? Not on evidence this season.

If Cox or Moore go down or lose form, our options though are thin. reid forward is the best but I'd prefer him down back where it's easier and he can set up play, used in short bursts forward as a swingman as required.

Schache is a high pick who's delivered %$^$%^&%% all to date. Not much more exposed form than a TAC kid who we can develop in the VFL for a year or 2.

Nice to have choices and options.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:24 pm

Damien wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

He wouldn't IMO given the circumstances and you need to remember Brisbane have an academy player very likely to receive a bid prior to 18 anyway so it wont be a live selection and they can still get him with later picks.

If anything they'd push for our pick 36 also to get points for that player.

E 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:13 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
K wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

I'm not knocking the players or the club was simply stating some times the draft isn't a sure fire solution to any problems you have.
The afl would be aware of this as well (they would have loads more data than I can research or be bothered researching) hence they they have a minimum amount of draftees and or rookies that must go onto a list each year and why they have imposed the must use 2 of 4 1st round picks
Clubs like the Hawks Swans Geelong have used the draft sparingly for a while and I think this again made the afl make changes to the drafting rules

i think you mean K, not E.

K, i am still mad at you for daring to use the single letter! I have patented that approach.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:33 am

I would be very concerned if we had interest in Schache at all.
I saw a couple NEALF games this season and he had very poor body language when it came to things not going his way. Instances of hands on hips when a team mate took a different option than delivering him the ball, little to no effort given in defensive pressure and never really kicked bags that would signal he's way to good the level below AFL.
The lions (more so Fagan) have bent over backwards for the kid this year and even with his limited output gave him a decent contract based on what they hope he will be not on what he's shown.
The rumour mill up here has been rife for weeks that he wasn't cooked when they played the GF that he left unbeknown to the club and his manager to return home. The first the club new of it was when he failed to appear for training and it was reported in the media he was at home. Fagan apparently rang his parents to confirm he was there as he wasn't returning phone calls from the club.
Part of the rumour is he has fallen out with some team mates as well who called him out in a honesty session for his lack of efforts and attititude to training and rehabbing
For mine he appears to be a bit of a spoiled brat obviously talented but unwilling to work hard to be the best he can be.
The lions won't fight overly hard to keep him and 1st round pick would get the job done easy as if the rumours are true they are happy for him to be gone.
For mine it's a pass not interested would rather take the a chance on a kid in the draft who's prepared to work hard and be the best he can be
ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:32 am

Anyone who thinks Seymour is better than Brisbane is a joke. If he gets away with this he will want to get away with missing rehab sessions and team meetings et al. Pick 6 for him is lunacy. Even 36 is a stretch. If I was the Lions the Bombers first pick would be overs.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:42 pm

Schache? Patrick Karnezis anyone?
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:47 pm

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
Schache? Patrick Karnezis anyone?

Karnezis was tearing up the NEAFL at least, averaging over 40 touches... Schache has done nothing.

Although I do find the thought of a Schache and a Schade bookending the team somewhat appealing...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 30 of 90   

Jump to: