Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2017 Trade and Draft period now concluded. Good luck to all.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam Treloar 3 Votes 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ You do not win a premiership with just 22 players, nathan buckley recently suggested that a best 22 was a fluid arrangement and that 30 to 35 players were required to allow for form fluctuations and injury.

It is quite possible that Aish, Broomhead and Mayne fall into the 23 to 35 depth category and whilst won't play every week will be required to play a role during the season. We cannot just trade out good depth players (especially youngish players) unless it is for a better player.

Goldy possibly only has 1 year left, Scharenberg and Langdon are both best 22.

Rizzo32 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:31 am

Agree with the Langdon love from both gentlemen, however we need to play a balanced outfit and Howe, Goldy, Shaz and Langdon just don't all fit in the same backline. In order to land something decent in return you need a to give something up, and one of them seems to be excess to our requirements.

Howe & Goldy aren't going anywhere and we have invested a lot in Shaz (and Aish for that matter) so would be very surprised if they take a loss and trade them out at this stage. Where as Langas is all profit.

I believe in drafting at the top end so would be resistant in giving up pick 6 for someone like Devon Smith. But you need to give the steak not just the steak knives, Langas might get us a decent return as part of a larger deal. Who else can we give up for a reasonable return? Are Fas, Broomy, Keeffe, Oxley going to get us much? But hey if nothing eventuates I'm still 100% in his corner and Goldys spot is his if not this year then the next. But don't give up the future, try to accumulate as many top 10 picks as possible, it's simply playing the odds.

But the fact remains we need goals. We need a best 18 forward.

Yes depth is required but the starting 18 needs to be established and it needs to be a mighty battle to crack a permanent spot in there.
mattdally 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:41 am

Tom Lynch - Pick 6 and Langdon? / Pick 6 and DeGoey?

Or do we hang on to Langdon and DeGoey and bring in Jack Watts for a swap of first round picks?
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:42 pm

^^^
Matt there's a big difference between pick 6 and Langdon and pick 6 and JDG
Langdon was pick 65 a 4th round pick JDG was pick 6
So ones a 1st rd & 4th rd pick the other is 2 X 1st round picks.
We can forget about Lynch it's not going to happen we couldn't get within a bulls roar of what the Suns + AFL ambassadors role pays.
Langdo doesn't have the value even as steak knives in the deal
Our best chance if we wanted to trade him would be using him to upgrade a draft pick example from a 4th round to 3rd round pick. He was pick 65 for a reason and not much has changed. His a stop gap player. He got his chance due to massive injuries like Frost and still isn't in the best 22 IMO and many others. He's played 50 odd games so his best is yet to come granted
Scharenberg was taken pick 6 and has a horrible run with injuries but last year showed he's a keeper. Not only is he a far superior kick mark and reader of play than Langdon his upside is massive. He was rated so highly a junior for a reason. He still hasn't completed a preseason outside the rehab group. Without 15 AFL games under his belt he will show massive improvement in 2018 onwards. He's a future AA defender
ThePieMind 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:19 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
^^^
We can forget about Lynch it's not going to happen we couldn't get within a bulls roar of what the Suns + AFL ambassadors role pays.
Our best chance if we wanted to trade him would be using him to upgrade a draft pick example from a 4th round to 3rd round pick. He was pick 65 for a reason and not much has changed. His a stop gap player. He got his chance due to massive injuries like Frost and still isn't in the best 22 IMO and many others. He's played 50 odd games so his best is yet to come granted
Scharenberg was taken pick 6 and has a horrible run with injuries but last year showed he's a keeper. Not only is he a far superior kick mark and reader of play than Langdon his upside is massive. He was rated so highly a junior for a reason. He still hasn't completed a preseason outside the rehab group. Without 15 AFL games under his belt he will show massive improvement in 2018 onwards. He's a future AA defender

Completely agree - the AFL will blow every club out of the water with the ambassador bonus.
Lynch will be get an AFL GOLDEN handcuff.
mattdally 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:25 pm

Unfortunately I have to agree. It is so disappointing.
I would love him at the Pies, as I assume so many others would.

It seems as though the AFL will dictate his next move (if any) and prevent him from walking out on the Suns.

Will be very interesting if he (Lynch) elects not to sign on next season and walk as a restricted FA.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:05 pm

Starting to look be a very Quiet and Uneventful FA/Trade Period for Collingwood. Watts looks at the Moment as best chance of Coming to Collingwood
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:42 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
^^^

The draft position is only relevant at the time, it has no relevance later on.

Plenty of top 10 picks are busts, whereas lat picks and rookies have been integral parts of premiership teams.

If you're trading for a player, their potential and performance are what matters, not their draft pick.

Eddo68 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:51 pm

Guys,

New to Nicks but have been enjoying the hypotheticals so thought I would throw one more in :

Straight swap - Scott Pendlebury for Tom lynch

I see this as a win all around :
Pies get a 10 yr gun forward,
GCS get a leader who will fix their culture,
Pendlebury gets to cash in with "Ambassador" payments in his twilight,
AFL get a major draw card to right their ship.

Thoughts ?

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:16 am

Eddo68 wrote:
Guys,

New to Nicks but have been enjoying the hypotheticals so thought I would throw one more in :

Thoughts ?

New, and brief, I hope.

Pendlebury is one of our all time greats. ALL TIME. You don't treat all time greats of your club (and a captain at that) as a pawn in the trade game, regardless of who it may garner.

themonk 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:36 am

Raw Hammer wrote:
Eddo68 wrote:
Guys,

Thoughts ?

New, and brief, I hope.

Pendlebury is one of our all time greats. ALL TIME. You don't treat all time greats of your club (and a captain at that) as a pawn in the trade game, regardless of who it may garner.

Agreed, not another troll?
E 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:20 am

themonk wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
Eddo68 wrote:
Guys,

Thoughts ?

New, and brief, I hope.

i would like to think you are being harsh on this newbie. I dont think its very fair to treat a newbie in such a way in circumstances when that person presents in such a respectful way. I know a lot of people who read this board but are afraid to post for fear of... THIS! It would be good for us to end this culture and be more welcoming.

As for the content of the post. Wow, it certainly is an out of the box idea. As you can see from the reaction, some fans cant even fathom such a decision.

If you think about it though, putting aside the fact that Pendles is an alltime Collingwood great (much like Gary Ablett was at Geelong by the way - although Ablett arguably had many more great years ahead of him when he moved than pendles does now) and trading him sickens my senses and makes me squirm in my seat, the proposal is probably a GREAT trade for Collingwood the football team. Pendles is a good enough player that Gold Coast might actually consider him the perfect replacement in the midfield for Ablett and they have some other key forwards coming through who they might be ok to pin their future on.

When Pendles was injured, we showed that we have the midfield talent to cover his loss much more easily than we have been able to cover the absence of a true CHF/FF star.

It is also the case that Lynch could form the backbone of an amazingly strong forward line for the next 10 years (Moore, Lynch, Elliot and Faz, with Hoskin Elliot and hopefully a genuine crumber in Kirby or, MAYBE, Devon Smith!!) would be a seriously LEGIT forward line.

Grundy and Moore to share ruck duties. Cox would still get some games too.

Our midfield of Treloar, Adams, DeGoey and Sidey, with cameos from Maynard, Wells, Greenwood et al, would still be one of the better midfields in the league AND if Reid gets healthy and can go back to full back, our backline starts to look pretty scary too. Even if Reid is not healthy, we have Dunn now and McLarty and possibly Schade in the future to take his spot.

Of course this trade will never happen (and maybe that, ultimately, is why Collingwood can never win flags - not ruthless enough in pursuit of premierships - favor hometown heroes over the best interest of the team). I know i feel dirty even admitting that the thought has merit. There are people who are much more about adoring their heroes than winning flags than i am so i can imagine their reaction to this idea.

But as the basis of something for us to discuss and ponder on Nicks, i think it is a perfectly legitimate idea for us to digest and discuss. I could argue its precisely what Nicks is set up for.

Just look at how good this team looks if we could also get Devon Smith into the fold!

Crisp Reid Goldsack
Howe Scharenberg Langdon

Sidey DeGoey Wells
Grundy Treloar Adams

D. Smith, Moore, Hoskin-Elliot
Faz, Lynch, Elliot

Maynard, Varcoe, Greenwood, Phillips

Really no weak links there!

Based on current list, our reserves would now be a pretty impressive cast of characters, including: Broomhead, Aish, Smith, Thomas, Daicos, Brown, Kirby, Blair, Dunn, Mayne, Keefe, Sinclair, Wills, McLarty, Ramsey, Sier, Crocker, Schade, Oxley, Cox (although i assume a few of the lesser lights in this group will have their careers ended fairly soon).

E 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:30 am

Dave The Man wrote:
Starting to look be a very Quiet and Uneventful FA/Trade Period for Collingwood. Watts looks at the Moment as best chance of Coming to Collingwood

i like Watts. If he can be obtained fairly easily, he is definitely in our best 22. He also adds options to an area of the ground we have struggled with. Wouldnt part with a prized asset for him (i.e., our pick 6), but would consider a win-win trade with the Dees if one can be found. What do they need?

themonk 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:56 am

E wrote:
themonk wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
Eddo68 wrote:
Guys,

Thoughts ?

New, and brief, I hope.

i would like to think you are being harsh on this newbie. I dont think its very fair to treat a newbie in such a way in circumstances when that person presents in such a respectful way. I know a lot of people who read this board but are afraid to post for fear of... THIS! It would be good for us to end this culture and be more welcoming.

As for the content of the post. Wow, it certainly is an out of the box idea. As you can see from the reaction, some fans cant even fathom such a decision.

If you think about it though, putting aside the fact that Pendles is an alltime Collingwood great (much like Gary Ablett was at Geelong by the way - although Ablett arguably had many more great years ahead of him when he moved than pendles does now) and trading him sickens my senses and makes me squirm in my seat, the proposal is probably a GREAT trade for Collingwood the football team. Pendles is a good enough player that Gold Coast might actually consider him the perfect replacement in the midfield for Ablett and they have some other key forwards coming through who they might be ok to pin their future on.

When Pendles was injured, we showed that we have the midfield talent to cover his loss much more easily than we have been able to cover the absence of a true CHF/FF star.

It is also the case that Lynch could form the backbone of an amazingly strong forward line for the next 10 years (Moore, Lynch, Elliot and Faz, with Hoskin Elliot and hopefully a genuine crumber in Kirby or, MAYBE, Devon Smith!!) would be a seriously LEGIT forward line.

Grundy and Moore to share ruck duties. Cox would still get some games too.

Our midfield of Treloar, Adams, DeGoey and Sidey, with cameos from Maynard, Wells, Greenwood et al, would still be one of the better midfields in the league AND if Reid gets healthy and can go back to full back, our backline starts to look pretty scary too. Even if Reid is not healthy, we have Dunn now and McLarty and possibly Schade in the future to take his spot.

Of course this trade will never happen (and maybe that, ultimately, is why Collingwood can never win flags - not ruthless enough in pursuit of premierships - favor hometown heroes over the best interest of the team). I know i feel dirty even admitting that the thought has merit. There are people who are much more about adoring their heroes than winning flags than i am so i can imagine their reaction to this idea.

But as the basis of something for us to discuss and ponder on Nicks, i think it is a perfectly legitimate idea for us to digest and discuss. I could argue its precisely what Nicks is set up for.

Just look at how good this team looks if we could also get Devon Smith into the fold!

Crisp Reid Goldsack
Howe Scharenberg Langdon

Sidey DeGoey Wells
Grundy Treloar Adams

D. Smith, Moore, Hoskin-Elliot
Faz, Lynch, Elliot

Maynard, Varcoe, Greenwood, Phillips

Really no weak links there!

Based on current list, our reserves would now be a pretty impressive cast of characters, including: Broomhead, Aish, Smith, Thomas, Daicos, Brown, Kirby, Blair, Dunn, Mayne, Keefe, Sinclair, Wills, McLarty, Ramsey, Sier, Crocker, Schade, Oxley, Cox (although i assume a few of the lesser lights in this group will have their careers ended fairly soon).

May be a great trade for the team but not for the club, there are other ways of recruiting players like Lynch without tearing out the heart and soul of the club, first step is to get inside the players head.

BTW Ablett wanted to leave and he was not a captain, his move highlighted his passion for money.

As for the newbie, agreed. I may have gone too hard and apologise but we don't want to encourage crazy talk, we already have Hiss.
burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:17 am

Realistically, we're not going to be massive players in the draft. While all this talk of Lynch would be fantastic - It's probably unrealistic to suggest we'll get him in this trade period.

I'd like to see us take pick 6 to the draft and get the best available talent. Whether that's a mid, tall, or whatever... just get the best kid available at pick 6.

I don't see any player of value wanting to leave us, therefore player movement will be of periphery players if any at all.

We might pick up another experienced tall back or forward... probably late or rookie them.

I dont think we'll be all that active this year to be honest.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 34 of 90   

Jump to: