Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is society getting worse?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:28 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

PTID, here's a very interesting paper: http://www.vrc.crim.cam.ac.uk/vrcresearch/paperdownload/manuel-eisner-historical-trends-in-violence.pdf

It suggests a strong historical trend in reduced rates of homicide from the early-modern period until about 1950, followed by an historically slight swing back up.

Presumably, there are also analyses of the "swing back up" that try to isolate the pertinent factors. I don't have enough interest to follow that through but I'd be looking at at least the following: cultural factors that might "predispose" certain sub-populations to violence (especially since the majority of acts of interpersonal violence are committed against domestic partners), increased availability of lethal weapons (especially firearms), improved policing/detection methods, increased emphasis on prosecution, changed classification of certain kinds of incidents as crimes, terrorism activities (it only takes one IRA bombing or a Lockerbie etc to distort the statistics) and the usual myriad of socio-political issues, as well as the impact of wars as an outlet for anti-social behaviour (the rates of "criminal" homicide in the early 20th century pale into insignificance against the numbers of people killed in wars - so, to suggest that society was "safer" before the 1960s requires a very, very loaded concept of "safe").
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:32 pm

^ data for murder alone is apt to mislead on the positive side, because knife wounds predominate and trauma management and surgery now save many lives that would once have been lost. Also, mass terrorism can distort stats. The only reliable dataset across time is GBH + attempted murder + murder. These tend to be reported and defined consistently. The increase is truly horrific, looked at over a 50 years or so time series.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:22 pm

Regardless of the data, the anecdotal evidence is that society is becoming more violent.

Just because it doesn't end up with hospitalisation or death doesn't mean there isn't a general tone of people, particularly young ones, resorting to violence far quicker than they used to. The level of violence is also something that's been discussed before. Back in the day, if 2 blokes got in a push and shove, their mates would gather around and let them go 1 on 1. Now, it's all on all, fists, boots, anything you can cause damage with. When someone hits the ground, rather than back off and let them get up, they now kick the shit out of them on the ground. 25 years ago you'd get belted by your own mates if you did that, now they join in.

I'm not going to try root cause analysis, as always it will be a whole combination of factors. The fact it, we live in a very different society now than we did 50 years ago. Some of it is worse, a lot of it is better.

On balance, I prefer now, with all it's faults.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:11 pm

^ no question today is much better in many ways, especially if you have money. It's better for certain minorities, whose treatment needed reform. I think it's also better for women, though that's something for women to debate, probably, rather than men.

The quality of consumer goods and the consumer experience (including the blessing of medical technologies) is also improved out of sight.

I suspect that these things could have been achieved without the expansion of criminality, the increasing inequality, the shoddy relativism, and the dreadful sentimental hypocrisy and disrespect that disfigures our culture now. The slide into disorder, if it continues, will ultimately rupture our society and nation, or cause a dramatic and unpleasant reaction from the nasty end of the right. History often goes backward if civilized behaviour is not defended.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:26 pm

the last 30-50 years have seen a social and technological revolution every bit as impacting as the industrial revolution.

Personally i reckon I'm in the best of it now, my grandkids won't have it so good.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:29 pm

Who was that?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:31 pm

^ forward-looking nostalgia ain't what it used to be.... Wink
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:33 pm

I'm glad you got a laugh out of it.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:03 pm

Humans are the most self indulgent, entitled and destructive animals on this planet and bloody oath they have got worse over the past even 10 years!!

They have decimated so many of the planets environments - think as one example Palm Oil plantations in Malaysia and Indonesia, their actions have resulted in many species becoming extinct or seriously endangered and cheap travel and greater expendable income has meant psychopaths can pay to shoot an animal for "fun" and a " brag selfie" ( fck me even giraffes - seriously giraffes Rolling Eyes ) and despite the availability of actual scientific evidence that is easily and readily accessible fctards still think it's ok to hack of the horn of a rhino to prevent fever ( I always chew my nails to eliminate fever Rolling Eyes ) and kill an elephant for a " trinket" Let alone the lion bone trade Evil or Very Mad

And then you have politicians who are roundly loved and admired like that Canadian prick whose government still fund and support the horrific and cruel clubbing of baby seal pups!!

You have dickwads live streaming murders, rapes and animal cruelty, you have complete morons taking selfies that result in the death of the animal - all for "likes" on social media - yeah whatever Rolling Eyes

Edit: Memo to self when really angry and upset stay away from social media!!

Last edited by Morrigu on Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:36 pm

Giraffes with guns taking brag selfies? I'd like to see that!
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:03 am

Whatever - knock yourself out Rolling Eyes

Something for humanity to aspire to Evil or Very Mad

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:26 am

Maybe more like this?

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:19 am

More people should smoke weed and be excellent to each other.

There's no crime in Nimbin (other than a bit of hooch changing hands).

Went there yesterday Cool

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:52 pm

Skids wrote:
More people should smoke weed and be excellent to each other.

There's no crime in Nimbin (other than a bit of hooch changing hands).

Went there yesterday Cool

There's no crime in Dubai - you know why? The crooks are scared of the punishment. When there we drove past a whole street of gold & jewellery stores, not a security guard or window bar in sight. Asked the cab driver & he said there's no crime, people leave their iPods in their Ferrari with the doors unlocked, no problem.

Couldn't believe it when we told him you can rob a jewellery store in Melbourne & get a slap on the wrist. Same after you do it the 2nd time. And probably the 3rd Rolling Eyes

Great pic Stui, perfect!
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:02 pm

^ yes, while I would not adopt the practices of sharia law, the principle is right. When criminals cease to fear the law and law-abiding people become fatalistic about crime, society begins to decline.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13   

Jump to: