Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

George Pell has been charged

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:35 pm
Post subject: George Pell has been chargedReply with quote

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-29/george-pells-charging-and-what-it-means-for-the-church-kennedy/8663554

As effectively the Vatican treasurer, it's international news.

I expect the Catholic Church to throw it's full might at defending this, so london to a brick he is acquitted.

Interesting Bio. Ballarat boy who was signed to play VFl by Richmond back in the day, but chose the priesthood.

I suppose he deserves some credit for judgement for choosing the less flakey organisation at that time, and it's not his fault he was born in Ballarat.

<Moderator note to all posters: please steer clear of potentially defamatory commentary, insinuations and so on.>

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

dont like his chances - but hey he could always get Turnbull and Aly to give a character reference!
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:03 pm

Mugwump wrote:
^ he's not been convicted yet Dave, so he is innocent at this point and a lot of people have it in for him on political grounds. We have had many cases in England recently where prominent people were accused and tried for this, and in some cases the complainant(s) turned out to be fantasists or worse. Equally, some cases have resulted in guilty verdicts. So I'd suggest we all be very careful what we say, or assume, until there is a trial and a verdict.

People who have lived in Ballarat for a long time have always suspected he knew or was involved in this! I remember working as an apprentice and was warned by my boss not to go near the Catholic priests when we had to work at their premises (the 70's and 80's)!

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:08 pm

I was very surprised to hear that they had charged him. I'd have taken 4 to 1 odds that they would not.

I have no idea whether he will be found guilty or innocent of these charges, but curiously enough, I have considerable faith that the court will come to the right conclusion in this case, whatever that conclusion may be.

(Meanwhile, Pell's most prominent booster and supporter, one T. Abbott, continues to work very hard on a self-appointed crusade to wreck his own party.)

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:08 pm

I make no judgement on his innocence or guilt.

My only experience of Catholic officialdom was being taught Piano by a Nun when I was 6 who would whack my knuckles with a ruler every time my wrists dropped down.

Needless to say, I still play with lowered wrists.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:16 pm

KenH wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
^ he's not been convicted yet Dave, so he is innocent at this point and a lot of people have it in for him on political grounds. We have had many cases in England recently where prominent people were accused and tried for this, and in some cases the complainant(s) turned out to be fantasists or worse. Equally, some cases have resulted in guilty verdicts. So I'd suggest we all be very careful what we say, or assume, until there is a trial and a verdict.

People who have lived in Ballarat for a long time have always suspected he knew or was involved in this! I remember working as an apprentice and was warned by my boss not to go near the Catholic priests when we had to work at their premises (the 70's and 80's)!

As I understand it, there is no question that some priests (Ridsdale etc) were involved in this. It is unknown what, if any, role George Pell played. The trial should hopefully find the truth.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:37 pm

Tannin wrote:
I was very surprised to hear that they had charged him. I'd have taken 4 to 1 odds that they would not.

I have no idea whether he will be found guilty or innocent of these charges, but curiously enough, I have considerable faith that the court will come to the right conclusion in this case, whatever that conclusion may be.

(Meanwhile, Pell's most prominent booster and supporter, one T. Abbott, continues to work very hard on a self-appointed crusade to wreck his own party.)

Pell chose the Priesthood over playing footy for Richmond, Abbott chose Politics over the Priesthood.

Scary options.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:41 pm

Would you like to have an idea?
ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:51 pm

The fun part will be picking a jury. Any Catholic will be excused if they want. Just say they can not be objective.Anyone else can probably get off if they say anything, molested as kid, new of kids molested by priests, etc etc.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:00 pm

Personally I believe in a statute of limitations for all crimes outside murder and really believe people making the allegations had there chance many moons ago and to much time has now past.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:09 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Personally I believe in a statute of limitations for all crimes outside murder and really believe people making the allegations had there chance many moons ago and to much time has now past.

There is a statute of limitations in play, the limitations of actions act 1958.

Without reading in detail, people who were "injured" as a child have basically until age 37 to make a complaint from what i can see, although it was amended in 2015 and It may have removed the limitations for cases like this.

KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:42 pm

swoop42 wrote:

Okay Swoop if by chance you were interfered with as a young boy and never told your family or friends because not only were you embarrassed by it but the person that was doing the interfering was either a very close family friend and a pillar of society so you keep it to yourself.
Then as you grow up you feel like it is too late to say something because you kept on going back to see this person and still kept quiet.
Years later you realise too late that you should of said something but you never did.
Then you live with the guilt for the rest of your life because some people like you will never believe you, so you still stay quiet.
I hope if he is guilty he gets found out and some people can sleep better after it is over.
No-one knows what some of these kids now adults have felt over the years unless they have been there themselves.
Trust me!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:37 pm

swoop42 wrote:

I think there's some merit in the idea of a statute of limitations, but for me it's less about the victim having had their chance – as Ken says above, there are any number of reasons why someone might wait decades to tell anyone about something like this – than about the use of punishing the criminal if it appears that they have been fully rehabilitated in the intervening years. But do you really think there should be no consequences at all for Pell if it were conclusively found that he was guilty?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:24 am

I don't agree. No statue of limitations on any violent crime. The damage doesn't go away, why should the sentence?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:36 am

Well, that's not strictly true, is it? Both physical and psychological damage can heal. Whether that should alter criminal justice decisions is another question to consider.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6   

Jump to: