Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Results Driven Support

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:00 pm
Post subject: Results Driven SupportReply with quote

On another thread, I noticed a debate going on about the relative merit of 9.5 wins compared to 9 wins. Absolutely no offence is meant to those worthy contributors with the following post. I am coming at it all from a different view point, that's all.

For the past few seasons, I have been concerned about the judgement that is placed on our club - players, coach, president -according to whether we win or lose. My question is why is the support of some so dependent on our results?

Is it because you have not yet developed a sense of history about the club?? Is that what you're missing? Is it because you haven't seen the greats of Collingwood actually play - Bobby Rose, Len Thompson, Peter Moore, John Greening, the Richardson brothers, Daicos, the Shaw brothers, McGuane, Millane, Billy Picken ... the list is absolutely endless of course.

I have been supporting the Pies for fifty plus years. It's a long time to stay loyal to one team through thick and thin. Obviously, for me, it's not about where we finish on the ladder -it's about identification.

There must be a generation gap developing (after all, I am pretty old), but my thoughts are that you either identify with Collingwood, (you're part of the tribe) , or you're not. Today the fans were chanting Cooooolllliiiingwoood and there's no better thrill than that.

I simply love Collingwood. We can finish top, bottom or between and it doesn't change that. As long as we play with heart and endeavour - the Collingwood spirit - it doesn't matter to me.

Please, whoever is our coach, whoever is recruited or delisted, get behind the black and white next year. We are Collingwood!!!
Very Happy
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel exactly the same.
Same vintage Cool

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:21 am
Post subject: Re: Results Driven SupportReply with quote

PyreneesPie wrote:
On another thread, I noticed a debate going on about the relative merit of 9.5 wins compared to 9 wins. Absolutely no offence is meant to those worthy contributors with the following post. I am coming at it all from a different view point, that's all.

For the past few seasons, I have been concerned about the judgement that is placed on our club - players, coach, president -according to whether we win or lose. My question is why is the support of some so dependent on our results?

Is it because you have not yet developed a sense of history about the club?? Is that what you're missing? Is it because you haven't seen the greats of Collingwood actually play - Bobby Rose, Len Thompson, Peter Moore, John Greening, the Richardson brothers, Daicos, the Shaw brothers, McGuane, Millane, Billy Picken ... the list is absolutely endless of course.

I have been supporting the Pies for fifty plus years. It's a long time to stay loyal to one team through thick and thin. Obviously, for me, it's not about where we finish on the ladder -it's about identification.

There must be a generation gap developing (after all, I am pretty old), but my thoughts are that you either identify with Collingwood, (you're part of the tribe) , or you're not. Today the fans were chanting Cooooolllliiiingwoood and there's no better thrill than that.

I simply love Collingwood. We can finish top, bottom or between and it doesn't change that. As long as we play with heart and endeavour - the Collingwood spirit - it doesn't matter to me.

Please, whoever is our coach, whoever is recruited or delisted, get behind the black and white next year. We are Collingwood!!!
Very Happy

Being of the same vintage I agree with you but there are too many gen Y's who demand instant gratification old son.
Football has moved on from the tribal support you and I grew up with and is now dependent on instant results.
Far too many bandwaggoners across the board and shamefully in my very own club.
The internet also allows keyboard warriors to peddle their own agendas without fear of reprisal or identification so it's a no brainer.
The abuse and vilification of the club and individuals will continue because those without self restraint can vent their spleen without fear of consequences.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:01 am

This has absolutely nothing to do with instant gratification or loving the club not caring whether the team wins or loses.

Mate. This has everything to do with WINNING provided we play within the rules. Ask yourself how much did you enjoy the win yesterday. Did you wake up this morning with a fuzzy feeling knowing the team won yesterday? I did.

People are intelligent enough to know the team isn't going to win every game. What people want is hope. Hope that the team is improving and that at some point this club will be back where it belongs and that is playing finals football. If Buckley can't provide that then we'll find an alternate coach who can.

It's just at this point of time nobody is quite sure that we have turned the corner and Buckley is the right person to get us back into the finals race next season. History will provide the answer.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:10 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
This has absolutely nothing to do with instant gratification or loving the club not caring whether the team wins or loses.

Mate. This has everything to do with WINNING provided we play within the rules. Ask yourself how much did you enjoy the win yesterday. Did you wake up this morning with a fuzzy feeling knowing the team won yesterday? I did.

People are intelligent enough to know the team isn't going to win every game. What people want is hope. Hope that the team is improving and that at some point this club will be back where it belongs and that is playing finals football. If Buckley can't provide that then we'll find an alternate coach who can.

It's just at this point of time nobody is quite sure that we have turned the corner and Buckley is the right person to get us back into the finals race next season. History will provide the answer.

'People' are intelligent enough to know that you can't win every game but it doesn't stop them vilifying players and club.
'Winning' is a process that requires more than just ranting about it.
Mate too much self-indulgent posturing by a few ruins the savouring of victories - minor and major.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:36 pm

I'm a young-generation Collingwood supporter (currently 23 years old), and while I've been critical of our progress through various stages of the year, I've always got behind them no matter what.

I think all attending 17 games in Victoria this year should attest to this.

Although, in saying that, I think everyone is entitled to support the club however they see fit. Some will be always be optimists, some will always come from a pessimistic angle where much of that born through tough times over the years and many are somewhere in-between.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: