Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pick 5,6 or 7

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:59 pm
Post subject: Pick 5,6 or 7Reply with quote

So there's only one game to go and we can't move too much on the ladder. We may be overtaken by Freo (giving us pick 5), stay as is (pick 6) or win & overtake Hawthorn (pick 7).
Anyone know who's out there for us to pick?
What type of player do we target?
Do we trade such a high pick away given an established player may be on the move?

No matter what, we need to get a really positive result with such a high pick.

What should we do?
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Straight swap for Lever. Maybe throw in broomhead as well.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:38 pm

Use it to get a key forward. Either packaged with a player or go to the draft.

I think we need a forward more than a defender hence why I wouldn't swap it for Lever.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:01 pm

Forget Lever. Go to the national draft and recruit the best KPP we can find.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:03 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:

Agree a KPF is far more important than a third defender

woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:23 pm

yeah get the best KPP in the draft...and wait another 6 years for him to develop.

sigh
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:39 pm

I just don't get the " urgency " in pursuing the best KPF in this years draft.

At the risk of repeating myself, the three best U18 KPFs in the country are not likely to be there when we have our first pick.
Sutherland has turned his back on footy for cricket. Ballendon is a lions academy player and Brander Is a good chance to be gone before pick 6.
So straight away, you are then investing your first pick in the FOURTH best U18 KPF in the country.
Depending which clubs have the first five picks after the trade period is finished, Collingwood would then have a good idea if Brander would still be there at 6 or not.
If he has gone by 6, that probably leaves Jaidyn Stephenson as the likely next option. ( ie the fourth best tall in a draft where no one is raving about the quality of KPFs )
If the club don't think they can get Brander, then I would give up pick 6 for Lever in a heartbeat. At least C H B is locked away for the next 10 years.
P S pick 5 would obviously improve our chances with Brander but I couldn't see him being there at seven.
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:49 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
I just don't get the " urgency " in pursuing the best KPF in this years draft.

At the risk of repeating myself, the three best KPFs up until a month ago, are not likely to be there when we have our first pick.
Sutherland has turned his back on footy for cricket. Ballendon is a lions academy player and Brander Is a good chance to be gone before pick 6.
So straight away, you are then investing your first pick in the FOURTH best U18 KPF in the country.
Depending which clubs have the first five picks after the trade period is finished, Collingwood would then have a good idea if Brander would still be there at 6 or not.
If he has gone by 6, that probably leaves Jaidyn Stephenson as the likely next option. ( ie the fourth best tall in a draft where no one is raving about the quality of KPFs )
If the club don't think they can get Brander, then I would give up pick 6 for Lever in a heartbeat. At least C H B is locked away for the next 10 years.
P S pick 5 would obviously improve our chances with Brander but I couldn't see him being there at seven.

Hence why we got absultely nothing out of the last 6 rounds. All kids should have been playing. Tank tank tank!!! But no, now we'll have a not so good pick to get a player who we probably don't need.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:59 pm

Go for best available - if that's a KPP then great. St Kilda passed on Petracca for their KPP and so far it hasn't worked out.

Mind you trade week is invariably interesting.

Mind you if Lever is available and affordable then....

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:43 am

Haff wrote:
Hence why we got absultely nothing out of the last 6 rounds. All kids should have been playing. Tank tank tank!!! But no, now we'll have a not so good pick to get a player who we probably don't need.

I think us tanking would have looked a tad obvious to the AFL in the current climate, as ALL teams below us have the most PUTRID percentages...

Even Brisbane [18th] busted their arses to roll Melbourne today, which would have consigned North Melbourne [17th] to bottom place had they won.
That's not very smart is it? Both teams remain on 20 points.

Carlton's win for pride over Hawthorn saw them over take GCS into 15th spot, leaving the Suns in 16th, who rolled over and played dead against the pill peddlers.
That's not very smart either is it? Both teams remain on 24 points.

And Freo have put the cue in the rack for 2017, they have a moratorium on 14th spot, with their percentage raped today by the tiggers, now the worst in the AFL.
That's not very smart is it? But hey, neither is their coach, and as such, they have no intention whatsoever of beating Essendon next week, and are probably more concerned with sourcing a replacement. 32 points and locked.

Which leaves us in a shitfight with Whorethorn for 12th spot, who have already exiled that first round pick with all their 2016 trading shenanigans to source Tom Mitchell and O'Meara.
Can they roll a haemorrhaging Footscray next week? Unlikely, but it's been a season of boil-overs. 38 points so far, with two Swan scalps claimed.
Can the Pies Reserves team trainwreck a desperate demons side aiming to stay in the eight? I'd love to just f#ck their shit up; but that's just me.
Pies sit on 34 points, with Buckley's head placed firmly in the guillotine, pending further instructions from the monarchy....

And did we not have the overall smallest losing margin amongst all 18 teams, to date? 37 points
So our season has not been a failure as such in relation to effort; it was all in the planing and execution. Err... no pun intended.
Thus you rarely see many teams stuck in 12th/13th position like we are, with such a healthy percentage in relation to our win/loss ratio.

So no tanking this season my good peeps; it simply would have brought too much attention to us under the circumstances.

E 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:44 am

neil wrote:

especially since we have three of the best third defenders in the competition. Howe, Langdin and Scharenberg all play the Lever role pretty well. Shit, goldsack plays that role pretty well himself.

I agree with others. I would try to get a REAL KPP. I'm talking about a star talent. Need to find a rebuilding team who has a 24 yo star and would be willing to trade that for a future star to align with their redevelopment.

the truth is that the right person is Jarryd Roughhead. Hawks are only going to go backwards next year as more of their older brigade wind it up.

the other one is tom Hawkins. Geelong are going nowhere with their list. Its old guys still carry too much of the load and they are heading down.

Ben Brown is young enough that North wont trade him, but if he was three years older, he would have been the perfect one for us given where north is.

carlton might give us Casboult for youth. Would we want him? I haven't followed his progress this year.

I don't think I want peter wright. seems too immobile.

Would Adelaide give up a Jenkins? would port give up one of their guys.

Boyd from Footscray. What about Travis Cloke. Should be able to get him pretty cheaply you'd think

themonk 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:10 am

Lever is a good player but he 's a Sharenberg/Langdon type.

Chase T. Lynch, brilliant forward with leadership skills.

Manufacture a 2nd round pick for Broomhead, it'll take more than that but pick 6 and a 2nd rounder could initiate discussions.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:32 am

themonk wrote:

Manufacture a 2nd round pick for Broomhead, it'll take more than that but pick 6 and a 2nd rounder could initiate discussions.

Tom lynch. Yes please. Signed until 2018 but becomes a RFA then. If he really wants to leave then a deal could get done. He's the Suns captain though.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:24 pm

dalyc wrote:
themonk wrote:

Tom lynch. Yes please. Signed until 2018 but becomes a RFA then. If he really wants to leave then a deal could get done. He's the Suns captain though.

Correct. There is no point discussing Lynch as a trade option for 2018 when there is no chance in world that the suns will release him from his contract.
I think the conversation really centres around the split in thinking between making Pick 6 part of the trade for Lever or just going to the draft for 18 year old potential key forward ( or even next best available )

I don't understand the thinking that sharenberg ( 190 cm ) and Langdon ( 190cm ) are similar types to Lever ( 195 cm )
Lever was holding down one of the two defensive posts ( with Talia ) for most of the season until Keath came into the team in the last few weeks.
Sharenberg and Langdon just aren't big enough for a key defensive post.
Lever is also younger than both Shaz and Langdon, so his upside is also considerable, like Shaz and Langdon.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:48 pm

E wrote:
neil wrote:

especially since we have three of the best third defenders in the competition. Howe, Langdin and Scharenberg all play the Lever role pretty well. Shit, goldsack plays that role pretty well himself.

I agree with others. I would try to get a REAL KPP. I'm talking about a star talent. Need to find a rebuilding team who has a 24 yo star and would be willing to trade that for a future star to align with their redevelopment.

the truth is that the right person is Jarryd Roughhead. Hawks are only going to go backwards next year as more of their older brigade wind it up.

the other one is tom Hawkins. Geelong are going nowhere with their list. Its old guys still carry too much of the load and they are heading down.

Ben Brown is young enough that North wont trade him, but if he was three years older, he would have been the perfect one for us given where north is.

carlton might give us Casboult for youth. Would we want him? I haven't followed his progress this year.

I don't think I want peter wright. seems too immobile.

Would Adelaide give up a Jenkins? would port give up one of their guys.

Boyd from Footscray. What about Travis Cloke. Should be able to get him pretty cheaply you'd think

Oxley plays that role too. Great list management

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: