Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pauline Hanson on autistic kids in school

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^

She's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:42 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Some challenged kids benefit from being part of the norm, some don't, and some are just too disruptive to the rest. Horses for courses.

Spot on, Stui. (Again!)

The other thing which hasn't been mentioned here is the moronic, reflexive scorn and disgust heaped on Hanson no matter what she says. She could come out against eating babies and every man and his dog would pile in to say how stupid and ignorant she is.

Well, OK, she is stupid and ignorant. Freely granted. But the mindless shock horror reactions to everything she says - whether or not it makes sense - is disturbing. (And sometimes, possibly by mistake or fluke, she does make sense.)

We - by "we" I mean the rest of Australia, old or young, left, right, or muddled - we are supposed to be better than the likes of her. Sadly, it seems that most of us are not.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:25 pm

^

Agree.

I just had a 10 minute conversation explaining Autism to the old girl. Got the Project on TV, up comes hanson and mum says she agrees with her. FMD.

So I tell her to watch the piece, then I explain. She's had no experience of autism, no understanding at all. She pretty much equated them with kids with Down Syndrome.

Daughters partner has a brother who's autistic. Told her to quiz him on Sunday when he comes over for dinner about the behavioural characteristics.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:38 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

She just doesn't know how to articulate what she means. If only she went to a separate school so she can truly get the help she needs as her attempts at mainstreaming doesn't seem to have helped her too much.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:45 pm

Tannin wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Some challenged kids benefit from being part of the norm, some don't, and some are just too disruptive to the rest. Horses for courses.

Spot on, Stui. (Again!)

The other thing which hasn't been mentioned here is the moronic, reflexive scorn and disgust heaped on Hanson no matter what she says. She could come out against eating babies and every man and his dog would pile in to say how stupid and ignorant she is.

Well, OK, she is stupid and ignorant. Freely granted. But the mindless shock horror reactions to everything she says - whether or not it makes sense - is disturbing. (And sometimes, possibly by mistake or fluke, she does make sense.)

We - by "we" I mean the rest of Australia, old or young, left, right, or muddled - we are supposed to be better than the likes of her. Sadly, it seems that most of us are not.

We live in an age where people decide what they feel, usually on the basis of their desire to feel nice, then adjust their reasoning to meet it. We have, as a result, a mindless, sentimental and brutal society. The reaction to Hanson, who occasionally says things that are worthy of consideration, is symptomatic of this.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:56 pm

^

As a society, we have people who feel their own beliefs very strongly and personally and attack anyone who disagrees. They pick individuals who characterise what they hate and actively seek every opportunity to attack that person, with no actual consideration of what they do and say.

It's particularly obvious from some on the outer left fringes but applies across the spectrum.

I can see them, following hanson on twitter, waiting for the next mention in the media, so they can launch into their social media tirade then leaning back happily in their chair knowing in their heart that they just made the world a better place.

the sad thing is, if anyone does exactly what they do, to someone who's opinion they agree with, the trolling and insults fly. Talk about intolerance, we're living it.

I don't understand or relate to the mentality, but I see it every day.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:32 pm

watt price tully wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

She just doesn't know how to articulate what she means. If only she went to a separate school so she can truly get the help she needs as her attempts at mainstreaming doesn't seem to have helped her too much.

Actual LOLs.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:52 pm

^

and proving tannin's point. Razz

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:09 pm

The other nteresting thing about this little controversy is the role played by the media in policing the boundaries of speech. The media have relentlessly focused on the outrage and on people attacking her in highly emotional and sentimental terms, while providing no one at all to defend or discuss her point of view rationally.

Since she said something relatively debatable when taken in context, this is interesting. It creates the impression that she said something unconscionably wrong and even evil, when In fact she said something that should be assessed in the light of evidence. Thus are the limits of permissible speech enforced.

Last edited by Mugwump on Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:46 pm

swoop42 wrote:
I don't believe Pauline was really meaning to offend but like the vaccination comment it was ill informed.

She did not seem that way Today.

IF is not great with Words then maybe she needs to find someone else who is better with words to get the Idea Accross.

But I doubt that is the case

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:54 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
I don't believe Pauline was really meaning to offend but like the vaccination comment it was ill informed.

She did not seem that way Today.

IF is not great with Words then maybe she needs to find someone else who is better with words to get the Idea Accross.

But I doubt that is the case

Like, for example, someone who can read and write and is fit to represent us in Parliament? If she should happen to find someone, she should feel free to step aside for them.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:40 pm

Nah

Last edited by Skids on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:46 pm

Tannin wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Spot on, Stui. (Again!)

I like this post alot Cool

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:37 am

Tannin wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Spot on, Stui. (Again!)

This is something I've been wondering about too. Recently there was a story going around all the hip left-liberal publications The Guardian, Crikey, the SBS site and their trashier youf counterparts Junkee and Pedestrian.tv making fun of Pauline Hanson for asking in Senate Estimates if animals in Halal abattoirs were killed when they weren't already dead. Haw haw, killing non-dead animals, geddit?

I do happen to find Hanson's obsession with Halal pretty dumb and uninformed, and it wouldn't have totally surprised me if she made a silly gaffe like that, but... I read the quote and couldn't see where she had asked anything of the kind. The question she asked was "do animals have their throats cut while they're still alive in Australia?", which is actually a totally valid question and just happens to be the key thing that differentiates orthodox Halal and Kosher slaughter from the stunning method that is mandated by Australian law. Perhaps I missed something, but it seemed just like you say progressives are so desperate for any opportunity to make fun of Pauline that they don't actually stop to realise that they might be the ones with comprehension problems.

A couple of examples below:

https://www.crikey.com.au/2017/05/25/pauline-hanson-shines-light-on-disgraceful-truth-muslims-kill-live-cows/

http://junkee.com/pauline-hanson-halal-budget-estimates/106305

And an interesting take on this phenomenon from an American vantage point:

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/the-blathering-superego-at-the-end-of-history/

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:14 am

Nonsense. Hanson deserves to be laughed at and ridiculed. Ridicule is an essential part of democracy and no-one ix exempt from it. Especially not politicians. Especially especially ignorant bigoted ones.

There is a difference, however, between laughing at a stupid, dangerous, evil tool, and blanket rejection of any and every issue that person raises simply because of who raised it. This isn't a trivial or minor difference, it's the crucial difference between the normal and healthy rough and tumble of political life on the one hand, and mindless, bigoted group-think on the other. One preserves and is an essential part of democracy, the other is imperils the democratic process and is an essential part of hate speech and mob rule.

Is the difference clear? Let's use your example to make it so.

Hanson makes clumsily-worded statement about Halal.

(a) People ridicule Hanson as a stupid, obsessed bigot. Harsh? Yes. Unkind? Yes. Unfair? Of course. Harmful? No. It's just making a fool look like a fool, which is both a democratic right and a democratic duty. (Sometimes people use this same method to make a decent, intelligent person look bad. That's unfortunate, and I hate it, but it's the price we pay for free speech.)

(b) Mobs of people rush in to defend halal killing simply because Hanson criticised it and poison all debate or opinion on the matter (other than their own). They allow their (perfectly reasonable) contempt for Hanson the Bigot to trick them into a form of bigotry every bit as bad as and probably worse than hers. They are no longer criticising Hanson or disagreeing with her point, they are crucifying anyone (no matter how civilised and decent) who dares to question their one-eyed, polarised view and making the subject impossible to discuss in public

"Do not make any small criticism and do not ask questions" they are saying, "because if you do, we will nail you to the cross and paint "Hansonite" across your forehead".

This is not healthy democracy. This is shutting down the debate in a way which would have made Senator McCarthy proud and Stalin happy. Can you smell the pink triangle? The "Juden" tattoo? This is where it starts. Not with ridicule and humour at the expense of politicians (that's natural and healthy) but with the mob-rule crucifixion of ideas.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: