Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#22 Steele Sidebottom

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 74, 75, 76  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet on the biggest stage and biggest game of the year he wasn't sighted
The blueprint is now there for every other opposition coach to see
Send a player who can run to tag Sidey and he's easy to shut down
Until he finds a way of beating tags this is going to define him
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:39 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
And yet on the biggest stage and biggest game of the year he wasn't sighted
The blueprint is now there for every other opposition coach to see
Send a player who can run to tag Sidey and he's easy to shut down
Until he finds a way of beating tags this is going to define him

Or maybe it had something to do with the umpires not paying Sidey free kicks for illegal holds and blocks in the Grand Final? It was clear from the first bounce that taggers could do what they wanted.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:42 pm

Rubbish. This isn’t a blueprint for anything, though it does suggest that our midfield is (or at least was on Grand Final day) about half as good as we thought. They tagged him effectively just once in 4 finals. Our midfield was almost entirely putrid on Grand Final day, for whatever reason.

Remind me, how many other Collingwood (and former Collingwood) players have been named “player of the finals”?
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:45 pm

The illegal holding the umpires ignored at the centre bounces and ball ups was disgraceful. Except for WC. I knew Sidey would have a tough game at the first bounce, when Pendles was clearly being held and the umps ignored it. The commentators called it straight away too. Yet if Grundy looked at his opposition the wrong way, or someone went within a meter of Shuey, free kick for a hold/block.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:04 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Rubbish. This isn’t a blueprint for anything, though it does suggest that our midfield is (or at least was on Grand Final day) about half as good as we thought. They tagged him effectively just once in 4 finals. Our midfield was almost entirely putrid on Grand Final day, for whatever reason.

Remind me, how many other Collingwood (and former Collingwood) players have been named “player of the finals”?

Yep, tagging remind me of gamblers, you only hear about their wins. It’s funny how the media or supporters never talk about the tags don’t work, just the ones that do. Plenty have tried to “ nullify “ Sidey via run with roles and most just don’t work cause he blows them up.
Greenwood has a good record on Selwood but there are plenty that don’t.
Touk Miller has a good record on Zorko but plenty don’t.
Most don’t work on Mitchell but we only hear of the success stories.
There’s always someone out there with your number but when Sidey doesn’t get a kick for two weeks in a row, then I will start worrying.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:15 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

Please the award has only been handed out since 2016
If it had been handed out in 2010 Swanny would have won it maybe Pendles
Early 2000's Buckley probably wins 2 of them
Not a blue print you say
Hutchens did the job round 17 as well
In the prelim they tried something different
There is a history of it
Paul Roos made it knowledge he always tagged Sidey
Remember Tom Bugg ?
Held him to 9 touches in 3/4 of a game
Simple truth is he doesn't handle a tag well
Ive said it before it's a weakness in his game but his not alone some players can't deal with them and some can and some learn how too over time
Zorko nearly got rubbed out trying to deal with one
Selwood has nightmares still about Greenwood
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:33 pm

So, that puts him with Martin and Sydney’s Kennedy. Reasonable company.

The real concern about what happened to Sidey in the Grand Final was that the rest of our midfield was powerless to take advantage. Tags only work when you don’t have enough good players. The reason Greenwood is useful against Selwood is because Geelong has a small number of gun midfielders and a lot of hacks. If you can control the guns, the hacks are left to do whatever they can and that typically isn’t much. Our team isn’t supposed to have as many midfield hacks as it seemed to on Saturday.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:47 pm

Yes it was the midfield who blew it on Saturday.
Next year I would move JDG into there.
Stevo to the wing and build a tank in Sier.
Interesting to see how Daicos and Brown goes next year.
We will win a flag only on the back of a dominant midfield.
The backs and forwards can somewhat be a little less classy.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:56 pm

Fresh off a Copeland, he's backed up with AA selection, 2nd in the Brownlow, voted Best Player of the final series, is a good chance to go back to back B&Fs, is widely regarded as one of the most skillful and consistent players of the competition, by people who'd know and yet someone still wants to nitpick. Geez, I wonder who that might be? It'd be hilarious if it weren't so tragic
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:20 pm

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
Fresh off a Copeland, he's backed up with AA selection, 2nd in the Brownlow, voted Best Player of the final series, is a good chance to go back to back B&Fs, is widely regarded as one of the most skillful and consistent players of the competition, by people who'd know and yet someone still wants to nitpick. Geez, I wonder who that might be? It'd be hilarious if it weren't so tragic

It's not nitpicking. If you asked Sidebottom I am sure that he would say that he would give all of that away to have played a good game on the weekend and that we won as a result.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:29 pm

He's played one poor final out of how many over his career ? I think it's nitpicking
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:31 pm

Does "it" still refer to roll?
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:41 pm

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
He's played one poor final out of how many over his career ? I think it's nitpicking

I understand that a career and a season is more than one game. He is one of my favourites. Even mates of mine that hate us like him and wish that he played for their team. But, he's not going to be thinking that.He's going to have a bitter taste in his mouth for the rest of his life when he thinks of this season. That's just the way it is.
npalm 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:59 pm

He has been always been a great finals player. His performance in the preliminary final this year was outstanding.
I just hope that he isn't too badly affected by this one game and bounces back next year.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:11 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
So, that puts him with Martin and Sydney’s Kennedy. Reasonable company.

The real concern about what happened to Sidey in the Grand Final was that the rest of our midfield was powerless to take advantage. Tags only work when you don’t have enough good players. The reason Greenwood is useful against Selwood is because Geelong has a small number of gun midfielders and a lot of hacks. If you can control the guns, the hacks are left to do whatever they can and that typically isn’t much. Our team isn’t supposed to have as many midfield hacks as it seemed to on Saturday.

The stats don't support your argument that it was everyone else in the midfield that failed because Sidey was tagged
Adams had above his season average in touches as did Seir
Trelaor marginally just below his season average as was JDG
Pendles was 3/4 of his season average in output
Phillips only had 75% of his season average
Sidey was under 50%
It's not just the touches it was all stats including things that he can control like 1%ers
Our overall possession count was down by 50 touches on our season average but if you take Sidey down by 16 Grundy down by 10 Pendles down by 7 Phillips down by 7 that's 40 of the 50
Sidey wasn't just beaten when tagged by Hutchens he was badly beaten in 3 one on one contests by Schofield when he went to FF
He had a ordinary day
Hutchens got into his head some how
It wasn't like it was a surprise move everyone knew it was going to happen but he was powerless to do anything about it
Even if he had a game were he was marginally below his averages or 2/3rds of his averages we would have won
That's not blaming Sidey for the loss there's many reasons we lost but his inability to be effective is a large part of the reason
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 74, 75, 76  Next
Page 29 of 76   

Jump to: