Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#22 Steele Sidebottom

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 74, 75, 76  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:54 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

P4S if we didn't know this topic was about Sidey and you just read the last couple of your posts
Like being made a legend in the HOF and being a sensational captain carrying his team on his back to victory your mind would straight away start thinking who which player
Then the name Beams would come up and most would think yes P4S is on to something there.
Last weekend 30+ touches 3 goals and carried a team with minimum all talent to victory on his own back. I don think he should be captain coach Fagan is doing ok but I'm sure his input with the coach in quite valued.
As for legend status he's well on the way. Let's look at there corresponding resumes for induction starting at the beginning

Rising star nomination Beams yes (finished 3rd) Sidey no
Best 1st year player Beams yes Sidey no
Premiership player Beams yes Sidey yes
Club champion Beams yes twice Sidey no
All Australian nomination Beams yes Sidey no
All Australian player Beams yes Sidey no
Top 10 Brownlow finishes Beams yes Sidey no
Double digits voting in Brownlow Beams yes 3 times Sidey no
AFL coach award top 5 finish Beams yes Sidey no
AFLPA MVP top 5 finish Beams yes Sidey no
MVP from club as voted by your team mates Beams 5 times Sidey 2

So his fellow players, coaches, team mates & umpires have all voted for Beams in several awards yet never for Sidey
Think you had the right parameter in your post just applied the wrong name mate
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:00 am

Sidebottom - winning rate as Captain: All of them

Beams - winning rate as Captain: Almost none of them.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:55 am

Who is this Beams you speak of? Oh yeah the heathen deserter, who cares?
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:14 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Sidebottom - winning rate as Captain: All of them

Beams - winning rate as Captain: Almost none of them.

Well not exactly true
Sidey was a co captain with Adams so he gets half a win then you look at his second half performance and that goes down by half again because his second half was non existent

Beams has 4 wins as captain

So the score board reads
Beams 4 wins
Sidey 1/4 win

But hey a quarter win is a quarter win
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:32 pm

Here we are, second week in a row that the stand-in captain has led the disposal count and the contested disposal count at half-time.

Presumably, because he's a small man and his preferred way of playing is to use his stamina and wear them down running outside, he will have a poorer return in the second-half, again - but I hope those of you who like to belittle his brilliance understand what he's given up for the team two weeks in a row - he's doing all the hard things and playing the Pendlebury role.

Such a little champ!
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:39 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Here we are, second week in a row that the stand-in captain has led the disposal count and the contested disposal count at half-time.

Presumably, because he's a small man and his preferred way of playing is to use his stamina and wear them down running outside, he will have a poorer return in the second-half, again - but I hope those of you who like to belittle his brilliance understand what he's given up for the team two weeks in a row - he's doing all the hard things and playing the Pendlebury role.

Such a little champ!

I'm his biggest critic P4S I thinking you know that by now mate 😆😆 but he's played very well this far. I get what your saying about him playing a different role for the team and kudos for him for doing so I wouldn't expect anything different from any player worth his salt
If I was giving my GB votes now he would feature in the best 5 but it's only half time and I want to see every player bring the same effort again in the second half and make a huge statement
But for know he avoids my poison keyboard and earns a big tick
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:18 pm

He has 17 contested possessions and 30 disposals before three-quarter time. Is there any chance someone could help him?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:17 am

Congratulations to our best and most consistent player throughout 2017, now (finally) officially recognised as such.

Not only did he have a consistently brilliant season (again) but he stepped up when the Captain was out injured. A genuine leader and a great champion of our club.

I look forward to another 5 seasons of genuine discussion on Nick's about trading him for Daniel Rich.
Big T 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:33 pm

[quote="qldmagpie67"]P4S if we didn't know this topic was about Sidey and you just read the last couple of your posts
Like being made a legend in the HOF and being a sensational captain carrying his team on his back to victory your mind would straight away start thinking who which player
Then the name Beams would come up and most would think yes P4S is on to something there.
Last weekend 30+ touches 3 goals and carried a team with minimum all talent to victory on his own back. I don think he should be captain coach Fagan is doing ok but I'm sure his input with the coach in quite valued.
As for legend status he's well on the way. Let's look at there corresponding resumes for induction starting at the beginning

Rising star nomination Beams yes (finished 3rd) Sidey no
Best 1st year player Beams yes Sidey no
Premiership player Beams yes Sidey yes
Club champion Beams yes twice Sidey no
All Australian nomination Beams yes Sidey no
All Australian player Beams yes Sidey no
Top 10 Brownlow finishes Beams yes Sidey no
Double digits voting in Brownlow Beams yes 3 times Sidey no
AFL coach award top 5 finish Beams yes Sidey no
AFLPA MVP top 5 finish Beams yes Sidey no
MVP from club as voted by your team mates Beams 5 times Sidey 2

So his fellow players, coaches, team mates & umpires have all voted for Beams in several awards yet never for Sidey
Think you had the right parameter in your post just applied the wrong name mate[/quotes]

Club spent a fortune getting him off alleged sexual assault charges: Beams yes Sidey no

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:30 pm

Wam bam Thankyou man, sunk that like the titanic, well done.

Beams is a selfish lying ungrateful sod. You must be his uncle to write that crap. Let it go mate, he’s gone, and good bloody riddance.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:00 am

I think it's probably time to put an end to the comparisons between Sidey the Great and Beams the Limited. A footywire player comparison serves to illustrate what those of us who follow football all know from watching them play. Sidey is a year younger and yet has already played almost 40 more games than Beams. Indeed, since they first played together in a final, Beams has played only 130 games, while Sidey has played 176. Over his career, so far, Mr Copeland 2017 has had roughly 650 more kicks, 300 more marks, 175 more tackles and 5 times as many hitouts (!!!!) as Beams.

Looking at their number of games per season, assuming they each play until 32, it looks likely that Beams will play about 230 games before packing it in, whereas Sidey looks to be on track to play 310 or so before he's done. Obviously, one catastrophic injury could change all of that but, of course, Sidebottom has been very, very durable, whereas Beams hasn't.

The most important aspect of the progression of their respective careers, though, was set in their first season. In 2009, Collingwood won 1 final (against Adelaide). It was Sidebottom's most effective performance for the year. With Pendlebury out injured, Sidey (who, just to remind you, is the reigning Club Champion for 2017) had 25 disposals (including 2 goal assists), behind only Heater and the Main Dane. Critically, he laid a game-high 10 tackles. Meanwhile, Beams didn't play. Nothing of significance has changed since then.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:10 pm

He's now ranked by Mike Sheahan among the top 10 in the AFL this year: https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/10/08/mike-sheahans-post-season-top-25/

The only other Collingwood player in Sheahan's top 25 is Adam Treloar, who was ranked 25th.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:42 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
He's now ranked by Mike Sheahan among the top 10 in the AFL this year: https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/10/08/mike-sheahans-post-season-top-25/

The only other Collingwood player in Sheahan's top 25 is Adam Treloar, who was ranked 25th.

P4S if your going to tell a story please tell the story correctly
This list is his personal list that he was paid to make up. It wasn't done on statistical data or anything like that. It might as well been Joe Blogs favourite 25 players.
Just so you know how badly this list is assembled the author of the list has Matt Crouch, Tom Mitchell, Joe Daniher & Rory Sloane as more valuable or better players than Lance Franklin
A list of the best 25 players in the game not including Scott Pendlebury ?
Make of the list what you will but by ranking those players ahead of Franklin shows the list at its true level favourites not ability
Also I was of the understanding Jeremy Howe ranked at 22 was still a Collingwood player or do you know something the rest of us don't ?
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:33 pm

P4S again you twist and manipulate numbers to suit.
Let's compare apples and apples
Beams v Sidey Copeland winning years on averages

Beams. Sidey
Disposals ave 30.9. 27.3
Kicks 15.8. 15.6
Handballs 15.1. 11.7
Disp eff 73.1%. 71.1%
Effective disp 24.6. 19.7
Marks 4.8. 5.2
Clearances 5.8. 3.4
Goals per game 0.7. 0.6
Goal assists 0.7. 0.7
Inside 50s 4.5. 4.2
Rebound 50s 1.8. 1.4
Tackles 4.8. 4.2
Clangers 3.2. 3.4
Meters gained 462.6. 344.8
Meters per disposal 14.97. 12.63
Game time 78.4%. 81.1%
SuperCoach 122.2. 96.1
Copeland votes 205. 140
Champion data ranking 7. 53

Statistically at the time Beams broke the records for most disposal in a season and finished with the at the time highest recorded SuperCoach ave (not that it counts really)

That 2009 season there first in the AFL tell me again who won the best first year player for the club ? And can you please tell in what round did Sidey get his rising star nomination ?
We shouldn't forget Beams won his Copeland in a side with Pendles Swanny and Sidey in it as well as being a all Australian finishing in the top 10 in Brownlow voting, top 5 in AFL coaches voting and won a couple media awards
But your right P4S Beams body has let him down in recent times and Sidey is likely to play more games so at least you had 2 facts right in your assessment
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:49 pm

Qld, me old mate, I think, at this point, Sidey starts chanting "scoreboard". Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 74, 75, 76  Next
Page 19 of 76   

Jump to: