Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#22 Steele Sidebottom

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 74, 75, 76  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies2016 wrote:
Re the Dangerfield comparison and I'm not trying to rate Sidebottom alongside Danger in any form or fashion but below is an interesting C D statistic.

In 2016 ( Dangers Brownlow year ) for the minutes spent in the midfield, only Dangerfield and Sidebottom were rated at an elite level for intercept marks and goals scored.
This little stat simply shows how hard both these guys work between the two arcs and not only are they working hard but they are making an impact in those areas.
I'm always happy to argue the point of comparing a benchmark against mortals but that's just opinion. The facts are that stats don't lie from a big sample base, albeit Danger certainly has more strings to his bow than Sidey will ever have.

As for Sidebottoms quiet second half against Dee's. 21 possessions in first half and 11 in the second. I guess if those numbers were reversed, then he would have had a better game according to some. You could argue that he was a main reason that we were four goals odd up at half time.

I would find it hard to believe they both spent similar minutes in the midfield but I'm happy to go with thto stat
In 2016 Sidey had 17 goals his 4th best return in a season in his 8 completed seasons which I would think wouldn't rate as elite
I went over the goal kicking records for 2016 and there were 34 midfielders (who also spent time forward or back during games for there various teams) who kicked more goals than Sidey and 24 who kicked more than Dangerfield so I'm unsure how they decide on the minutes played part.
I'm not knocking Sidey it's just my opinion he isn't an elite player simple.
As for Monday it sort of proves my case when in 1 half he's fantastic and in the second half he is average (11 disposals in 2 terms is hardly elite numbers)
And it does give credit to the theory that we need him playing well consistently to be a chance in games against similar opposition.
Pies2016 if he showed the performance he did in the first half for the whole game we would have more than likely won and also the same could be said for several games this season.
My thing has always been about his consistency not ability.
He does make some horrible errors by foot and hand but so does Dangerfield and Treloar but his errors seem more often than not to be costly in terms of goals or momentum.
Watch the first 10 minutes of Monday's game and in his first 4 touches were all ineffective or smoothered. On his 5th he hit a beautiful pass inboard which led a couple of touches later to a goal and the commentators carried on like it was the greatest pass in history but nothing was said of the previous 4
He skates under the radar for criticism by many commentators like he's a media darling which is unusual for a Collingwood player
If he could bring that style of performance in the first half last Monday every quarter of every game he played he would certainly have cause to be in the discussion of being elite.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:58 pm

^^^

It is a complex stat ... kinda. The stat arrives as a RATIO out of minutes spent as a midfielder divided by the goal / intercept mark numbers accumulated during that period.
It's not just about the actual numbers of goals, it's about the time spent in the mid field for those numbers to be achieved.
Also that stat isn't a comment on his kicking efficiency, more the proof of both their work rates.

I do completely agree about Sidebottoms first 10 mins too. The commentators really let him off the hook but in all that, I don't think anyone can deny his last five weeks as a major contributor, have been very good.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:30 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
^^^

It is a complex stat ... kinda. The stat arrives as a RATIO out of minutes spent as a midfielder divided by the goal / intercept mark numbers accumulated during that period.
It's not just about the actual numbers of goals, it's about the time spent in the mid field for those numbers to be achieved.
Also that stat isn't a comment on his kicking efficiency, more the proof of both their work rates.

I do completely agree about Sidebottoms first 10 mins too. The commentators really let him off the hook but in all that, I don't think anyone can deny his last five weeks as a major contributor, have been very good.

Absolutely agree mate his last 5 weeks have been much better than the previous patch and it isn't coincidence that we've won 3 games in that period
As for the other part his actual kicking at goal eff last year was 70.8% which was better than most in the comp a stat which is really worth noting IMO.
I don't doubt his work rate nor his effort ever or his ability only ever his consistency and until he shows that weekly and quarter by quarter he can't IMO be considered elite
MJ23 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:34 pm

Sidey also has spent a lot of time starting off half back rather than as a pure mid like Treloar, Pendles and Adams.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:42 pm

^^^
Cheers mate.

Sadly for some, I am a C D data tragic ( But that isn't to say that I would measure any players abilities purely on statistical output either )
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:53 pm

Just a little update on the OP:

Only 1 Collingwood player has drawn votes in the AFL Coaches Award in each of the last six games (GWS, Hawthorn, Brisbane, Fremantle, Melbourne and Port Adelaide).

Guess who?
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:00 pm

WarrenerraW wrote:
Howe?

By playing well?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:13 pm

Just a little update on the OP:

Only 1 Collingwood player has drawn votes in the AFL Coaches Award in seven of the last eight games (GWS, Hawthorn, Brisbane, Fremantle, Melbourne, Port Adelaide, not Hawthorn the second time and the Suns).

Just the 10 this week - getting better as we approach the business end of the season, as usual - it's just a pity we don't have a business end to the season.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:56 pm

Arghh, first posted in wrong thread. My bad !
jatsad 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:55 pm

He would be much more valuable playing as a permanent forward.
He has got tremendous vision around goals and takes him away from the backline where those stupid passes always cost us goals.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:26 am

eddiesmith wrote:
Magnificent first half running around on his own, did they man him up after half time because he was barely sighted in the 2nd?

Really ? I didn't mind his soccer sausage roll in the 4th? Rolling Eyes

www.facebook/the hybernators
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:26 am

double

www.facebook/the hybernators
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:28 am

When was this exactly?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:32 am

Another quiz question:

Scott Pendlebury has won 4 of the last 5 Copeland Trophies. Apart from him, only 1 Collingwood player has finished top 5 in the Copeland Trophy in the last 5 years, finishing 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 5th and 3rd. Name him.
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:12 am

It's Gault
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 74, 75, 76  Next
Page 17 of 76   

Jump to: