Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#22 Steele Sidebottom

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:45 pm
Post subject: Sidey - congratulationsReply with quote

Only 1 Collingwood player has drawn votes in the AFL Coaches Award in each of the last five games (GWS, Hawthorn, Brisbane, Fremantle and Melbourne).

Guess who?

Last edited by Pies4shaw on Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Howe?
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:52 pm

Given who the OP is it'll be Sidebottom.

Like a dog with a bone.

WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:01 pm

If it ain't Howe then it should be. He's AA at the moment.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:02 pm

Blair?

Razz

inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:05 pm
Post subject: Re: Unparalleled consistencyReply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
Only 1 Collingwood player has drawn votes in the AFL Coaches Award in each of the last five games (GWS, Hawthorn, Brisbane, Fremantle and Melbourne).

Guess who?

who is it??

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:21 pm

More importantly, do we have enough humble pie to go around ??

Anyway, what would the coaches know !!

Just for a left field crack, I will go Maynard but the house is on Sidey.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:27 pm

Treloar.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:47 pm

It's Sidey he's polled votes in 6 of the 12 games thus far
So he's consistent on 50% of occasions in obtaining votes
Given that Dangerfield received votes in 17 of 22 games last year I would say that this being unparreled consistency is drawing a long bow.
But for Sidey polling votes in 5 consecutive games is good work for a average footballer 😉😉
Surprisingly though his still sitting 4th in the votes for Collingwood players with Pendles Treloar Adams above him
He's yet to poll 5 votes in the a match from both coaches and only polled a 5 on 1 occasion
So in realistic terms with 24 chances to receive the best on ground from a coach he's done in once
He did have 32 touches yesterday and got 4 votes and in the GB medal he's received everything from a 5 to not being in the best 5 (I gave him votes)
Looking at the voting I'm surprised Grundy and Howe haven't received more coaches votes this season. I would have them in the top 6 for Copeland at th present time (personal opinion)
P4S love of Sidey and Langdon is well known unfortunately for him he doesn't get to vote in any awards other than our own GB medal so eithers chance of ever winning any award is doubtful
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:34 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
It's Sidey he's polled votes in 6 of the 12 games thus far
So he's consistent on 50% of occasions in obtaining votes
Given that Dangerfield received votes in 17 of 22 games last year I would say that this being unparreled consistency is drawing a long bow.
But for Sidey polling votes in 5 consecutive games is good work for a average footballer 😉😉
Surprisingly though his still sitting 4th in the votes for Collingwood players with Pendles Treloar Adams above him
He's yet to poll 5 votes in the a match from both coaches and only polled a 5 on 1 occasion
So in realistic terms with 24 chances to receive the best on ground from a coach he's done in once
He did have 32 touches yesterday and got 4 votes and in the GB medal he's received everything from a 5 to not being in the best 5 (I gave him votes)
Looking at the voting I'm surprised Grundy and Howe haven't received more coaches votes this season. I would have them in the top 6 for Copeland at th present time (personal opinion)
P4S love of Sidey and Langdon is well known unfortunately for him he doesn't get to vote in any awards other than our own GB medal so eithers chance of ever winning any award is doubtful

I have said it previously and I feel the need to make the point again. Coaches see the game differently to supporters ( thankfully )
What a coach wants more than anything, is unconditional effort. They will look beyond the odd blunder when they see that a player repeatedly gut run the full length of a field to involve himself in repeated contests. Sidebottom is being rewarded by the coaches for his desire to be involved and also his use of the ball on around 30 odd occasions each over the last 5 games.
He had a slow start but his last five weeks have been very good.

Just as a side issue, I get a bit bemused by posters who drag out the benchmark of the competition when they choose to compare any other players negatives against that benchmark. There is only ONE benchmark.
Every onballer in the league is less than perfect when compared to Dangerfield right now, so it's just not a fair comparison.
A true comparison is against all other other outside mids in the competition and I cannot think of one other club in the league where Sidebottom wouldn't wouldnt be part of their best 22, GWS included ( albeit he may play in a different role )
Adam Treloar 3 Votes 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:11 am

Fair post, I'm a Sidey fan also and whilst he would be in my top 10 Pies players he wouldn't be in my top 5.

Qldmagpie has potted Steele a few times so I enjoyed seeing Pies4shaw serve him up a generous portion of humble pie 😜

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:16 am

What goes around comes around.

Anyway, now I've had my fun, they can trade him to Essendon for a late third-rounder. Wink
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:00 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
What goes around comes around.

Anyway, now I've had my fun, they can trade him to Essendon for a late third-rounder. Wink

Come on mate don't give up this is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
I enjoy this
Also I don think Essendon have a spare 3rd rounder to waste mate lol

Just for the record I've actually given Sidey votes in several games this year in the GB medal which is more than the coaches
AT3 I get we all see the game differently and depending on personal expectations of certain players we can either over state there benefit to a side or underrate it
My opinion on Sidey hasn't changed in years.
The comparison to Dangerfield is actually fair because he's the gauge all midfielders should be judged against. He's standard is elite on every level of consistency
I've said it before the only elite player wearing black and white is Pendles and then there's a big gap to the rest on our side Treloar included who I don't consider elite.
Many will argue he is as they would Sidey it's not the way I see it again a personal opinion
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:04 am

Magnificent first half running around on his own, did they man him up after half time because he was barely sighted in the 2nd?
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:12 am

Re the Dangerfield comparison and I'm not trying to rate Sidebottom alongside Danger in any form or fashion but below is an interesting C D statistic.

In 2016 ( Dangers Brownlow year ) for the minutes spent in the midfield, only Dangerfield and Sidebottom were rated at an elite level for intercept marks and goals scored.
This little stat simply shows how hard both these guys work between the two arcs and not only are they working hard but they are making an impact in those areas.
I'm always happy to argue the point of comparing a benchmark against mortals but that's just opinion. The facts are that stats don't lie from a big sample base, albeit Danger certainly has more strings to his bow than Sidey will ever have.

As for Sidebottoms quiet second half against Dee's. 21 possessions in first half and 11 in the second. I guess if those numbers were reversed, then he would have had a better game according to some. You could argue that he was a main reason that we were four goals odd up at half time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
Page 16 of 77   

Jump to: