Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#22 Steele Sidebottom

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 6:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We could invite the 1st 300 ,er as well but Gordon “Nuts” Coventry and member of the four in a row flags left us long ago

Gordon was the first VFL/AFL player to reach the 300 games. 306 big ones

Uncle Jack Virgo

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 9:19 pm

He's not slowing down either. Rated currently 9th in the league by the Champion Data guy on SEN
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 11:30 pm

^ You can't be publishing information like that - some of our Nicksters are triggered by Sidey touching the ball.
Still, while we're triggering people:
In 2022, he had 5 games (out of 25) in which he had more than 20 disposals. In 2023, he's done that in 6 of our 8 games.
Sidebottom is by far the most significant player out of the 2008 draft. He has played over a season more football (297 games) than the next most (Rich, 273 games). He's already played 124 games more than the number 1 pick, 84 more than the number 2 pick, 79 more than the number 3 pick, 104 more than the number 4 pick and 103 more than the number 5 pick. Indeed, just 11 players taken in that draft are still playing in the AFL.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 10:52 pm

What a luxury to be able to play Steele on the wing this year. He’s playing close to his career best footy this season. Flying under the radar in many ways. When opposition clubs look at who they need to curtail most when playing us, I’m not sure that he is high on their list. He is the consummate link man in so many of our plays and so important to our game plan.

Anyone know how many games he and Pendles have played together? Gotta be close to a club record I reckon. Both been so durable for so long.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 11:38 pm

Damien wrote:
Anyone know how many games he and Pendles have played together? Gotta be close to a club record I reckon. Both been so durable for so long.

Number of games together:

2009 = 9
2010 = 34 (+25)
2011 = 59 (+25)
2012 = 79 (+20)
2013 = 102 (+23)
2014 = 120 (+18]
2015 = 136 (+16)
2016 = 156 (+20)
2017 = 172 (+16)
2018 = 197 (+25)
2019 = 220 (+23)
2020 = 226 (+6)
2021 = 243 (+17)
2022 = 267 (+24)
2023 = 275 (+8]

They've played 275 games together.

Don't know what the club record is, but it would be close to the top I suspect.

Boot 

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 11:48 am
Post subject: Cogratulations to Steel SidebottomReply with quote

Steel Sidebottom plays his 300th game for Collingwood on Sunday.
What a terrific player he has been for us since being drafted in 2007.
Has always played with great talent and stamina.
Must have been close to being the Norm Smith medalist in the 2010 grand final that Collingwood won.
Has always been a very humble player and seems to be a very influential team mate in the clubrooms where his experience and leadership appears to be an important aspect of the current culture in the club.
I heard him interviewed on the SEN radio this morning and he confirmed that he is contracted till the end of the 2024 season, but with his body in good nick and with his form and enjoyment on the field holding out he has no view of timing for his retirement, hoping to extend his career with Collingwood by one year at a time after his current contract expires.
He also mentioned that he is very excited about the potential of wining another premiership for Collingwood with the current team and loved that he can play with such champions as Scott Pendlebury and Nick Daicos.
Interestingly he mentioned that the real strength of the current Collingwood team is that so many of the players can play across a number of different positions on the ground and still play the game plan introduced by Craig Macrae.
Congratulations to Steel Sidebottom on a marvelous career and best of luck for your remaining time playing at Collingwood!

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 12:05 pm
Post subject: Sidey interview on SENReply with quote

Two-time Copeland Trophy winner and Collingwood premiership player Steele Sidebottom will play his 300th game against North Melbourne this weekend.
Drafted in 2008 with pick 11, Sidebottom has been a consistent performer for the Magpies over the years with his career-best season coming in 2018 when he earned a maiden All-Australian blazer.
Originally from Shepparton in regional Victoria, Sidebottom will become only the fourth Magpie in history to hit the 300-game milestone after club legends Tony Shaw, Gordon Coventry and current teammate Scott Pendlebury.
And while some footballers may begin to lose their appetite as they hit Sidebottom’s age, the veteran midfielder believes that a good run with injuries and the refreshing culture at Collingwood is what’s helping to keep him energised and engaged.

“I’m old in footy terms, I’m 32 now, but the boys at the club definitely keep me feeling young,” Sidebottom told SEN Breakfast.
“I’ve been pulling up fine. My body has held up. I haven’t had too many injuries along my career so far so hopefully that continues and I can play a few more games.
“I still pinch myself at times to be honest.
“I guess for me growing up all I ever wanted was to play AFL and like everyone says to play one game is great but to be able to hopefully get to Sunday and say that I’ve played 300 is incredible.
“I’m extremely grateful and I understand there’s only a small per cent of people that get to play AFL and I try to make sure every day I turn up to work I don’t take it for granted. I love my job and hopefully I’ve still got a few more (years) to go.
“Not everyone likes having the attention on them but I think 300 games is a good achievement so I will embrace the week.”

The 32-year-old is now in the middle of his 15th season in the league and has shown no signs of slowing down as he still averages 22.7 possessions, 4.4 marks and 3.6 tackles per game while playing in a variety of different positions, primarily on the wing.

And while he remains in good touch physically and form-wise, Sidebottom doesn’t want to focus too much on what the future may hold for his career as he tries to remain focused on the present.

“I’m contracted for next year,” Sidebottom said.
“I’ll get through next year hopefully and then if I’m still going ok hopefully Wrighty (Graham Wright) sees maybe a few more one-year contracts along the way but who knows.
“I just want to get through the contract as it is now and whatever happens, happens.”

Sidebottom rose to fame during his draft year after he kicked 10 goals for the Murray Bushrangers in the 2008 TAC Cup grand final.

He has since become one of the club's most consistent performers over the course of a lengthy and successful career.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/05/22/still-pinching-myself-how-milestone-man-sidebottom-remains-energised-after/

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Fri May 10, 2024 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 4:34 pm

The words that will bring joy to qldmagpie67's heart:

Quote:

“I’ll get through next year hopefully and then if I’m still going ok hopefully Wrighty (Graham Wright) sees maybe a few more one-year contracts along the way but who knows.
Laughing

Here's to the next 300, Steele.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 5:10 pm

Congrats to Rusty. After a couple of years of being played out of position and plugging holes, we have the midfield depth to play him in his best spot, on the wing, and he's killing them.

Hopefully (at least) a duel premiership player before he retires

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 6:24 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
The words that will bring joy to qldmagpie67's heart:

Quote:

Laughing

Here's to the next 300, Steele.

Mods please lock this thread he hasn’t been selected for this weekends game yet so any speculation of him reaching this milestone is premature
Nahhhhhhhh
Credit where credits is due
He’s certainly been one of the most durable players to play the game
I mentioned to a former AFL coach friend that I can’t remember either Sidey or Pendles suffering hamstring or calf related injuries he said it’s because they move so slow with there legs because all there energy goes to there mind to make it move quicker than the average footballer
I think that sums him up perfectly
While he seems to be slow across the ground his mind is 10 steps ahead and like Pendles he sees things before they happen
I’ve been critical of him over the years and I won’t take this opportunity to rehash any because any negativity today isn’t warranted
He should be celebrated for the enormous effort and hardwork it takes to achieve such a milestone
My ole sparring partner P4S will be enjoying this as he should as he was one of his biggest backers early.
I didn’t see it and at times still didnt see it
The last 2 years with him becoming more of a infield coach I saw more of his value than ever before
Congratulations Sidey I hope the team turn in a performance befitting such a glorious milestone
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 6:53 pm

Steele is the third most watched footballer ever, watched by 14,579,226 people, second only to Pendles and Fletcher.

He is one of 9 players to be watched by, on average, more than 50,000 a game. All 9 players are Collingwood players.

K 

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 8:12 pm
Post subject: Re: Sidey interview on SENReply with quote

LaurieHolden wrote:
Two-time Copeland Trophy winner and Collingwood premiership player Steele Sidebottom will play his 300th game against North Melbourne this weekend.

Pity it's not at the G. But at least it's not a GC home game.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 9:05 pm

Currently he's playing in All Australian form on the wing.
Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 10:18 pm

Sidey was not playing that well during the last year (or two) of the Buckley era.
I think under Fly he has become himself again - a champion that he is.

❤️️
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 6:54 pm

Take_a_Screamer wrote:
Sidey was not playing that well during the last year (or two) of the Buckley era.
I think under Fly he has become himself again - a champion that he is.

You’re right…I think the great man was a bit disappointed with regard to being offered shitty contracts after years of sacrifice and disrespected with being quietly offered up for trade…awesome watching him play with enjoyment again and that smile.
A true champion deserving of every plaudits and credit coming his way celebrating 300 magnificent games🙌🙌🙌
Thanks Sidey…love you man!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77  Next
Page 73 of 77   

Jump to: