Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

player development ...where does the improvement come?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgh3536 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:04 pm
Post subject: player development ...where does the improvement come?Reply with quote

After yesterday we can give a big tick to: Group 1
Dunne
Howe
Goldsack
Grundy
Adams

Reliable consistent acceptable level for them Group 2
Sidebottom
Crisp
Varcoe
Wells
Greenwood
Pendelbury

Following significant injuries these are progressing Group 3
Elliott
Scharenberg
Langdon (still worried)
Reid
Fasolo (deserves his own group!!!)???

Expectations are high: Group 4
Moore
Cox
Hoskin-Elliott
Treloar (lazy prob playing injured..)
Maynard
Wills
DeGoey

Newbies:too early to tell Group 5
Daicos
Brown
Kirby

Not really thank you: Group 6
Phillips
Aish
Thomas
Crocker
Oxley
Sinclair
Broomhead
Ramsey
Smith

If we can maintain the level of Groups 1,2,3
get a significant kick in development from group 4
get 2 out go group 5 to achieve 15 games
get 2 out of group 6 to turn it around and step up a level

Then I think we are in a strong position for 2018

regular watchers of vfl

where is lynch at, saw him yesterday against Port Melb, looks like he has a dip!

Unknown:
Schade, oxley, Blair, Mayne, Keefe, Thomas, McLarty, McArthy,Mackie, Sier
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Treloar definitely playing injured, I recall a match earlier in the year when he took on 3 opponents on the boundary line unassisted and broke or evaded all three attempted tackles then pound the ball forward.
If there is one thing Treloar is NOT it's lazy.
Probably a recurrence of his earlier OP.
mgh3536 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:08 pm

when i say lazy... in three games I watched live he doesn't push back hard enough
Born to Pie 

Born to Pie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:50 pm

Player Name Games 2017/Career-Goals 2017/Career

Taylor Adams 22/97-9/36 Better in second half of the season, when he also hit the score bord a bit more. Needs to improve disposal.

Steele Sidebottom 22/185-16/139 Good season but not great. Commentators think he has great disposal, but dinky, cute kicks need to go.

Jack Crisp 22/84-6/41 Good season across half back, his run and carry will become invaluable. Needs to be better one on one and decision making and disposal can be improved.

Will Hoskin-Elliott 22/74-18/60 Getting better each game, is a versatile modern footballer. Needs more consistency and if possible add a bit of weight.

Brayden Maynard 22/51-6/12 The new raging bull. Could be anything but needs to continue to improve disposal and avoid brain fades.

Adam Treloar 21/122-13/74 Burst of speed brilliant, and could be elite but desperately needs to improve disposal and decision making. Playing injured late in the season?

Darcy Moore 21/47-25/58 Coming along nicely and will be very versatile utility. Needs to gain some weight and strength which will come.

Jeremy Howe 21/141-3/86 Good season, decision making and disposal can be improved

Alex Fasolo 19/100-29/133 Could have been his best season to date but for accuracy in front of goals. Issues need to be dealt with.

Brodie Grundy 20/82-4/27 Could be the number one ruckman in the league. Needs to add marking forward/ goal kicker to resume

Tyson Goldsack 20/161-1/50 Probably best and most consistent season ever. Glad he got another year. I like him as a pressure forward.

Tom Phillips 18/24-9/12 Improving but has his critics, only has 24 games his best is probably 2 seasons away. Keep improving.

Jamie Elliott 17/89-34/138 With a full pre-season will be better. Also benefit from more functional forward line with additional dangerous forwards (which we hopefully are developing)

Scott Pendlebury 16/252-5/157 Played injured for most of the season, extended break will help. May spend more time at half fwd/back in future

Lynden Dunn 17/182-1/98 Good season, plays above his weight and height probably only 1-2 years left

Levi Greenwood 16/119-7/55 Should be tagging best opposition mid every week, important component of our best team. Needs better disposal

Ben Reid 15/136-14/51 Up and down, still prefer him down back if we can afford to do that

Jordan De Goey 14/50-14/36 Improving all the time, he has huge potential and needs a more mature attitude to realise that potential

Tim Broomhead 14/35-8/27 Potential trade bait. 14 games a good return. Needs to become more consistent, and to hit the score board more often.

Josh Smith 13/31-2/6 Delist/trade. Trys very hard but size and poor decision making against him.

Jarryd Blair 12/155-11/121 Delist/trade. All heart but once again size and inability to get into a game the problem. He is a KPP in a rovers body

Daniel Wells 10/253-11/161 Elite. Needs a good pre-season and stay injury free for him to be of any value, otherwise he holds back the development of others

Tom Langdon 11/57-0/2/Improving and provided a lot in the second half of the season. Another who needs a good pre-season and injury free run of games.

Matthew Scharenberg 10/14-0/0 Injury free at last. Pre-season and game time will continue to improve him, Good decision maker but a bit slow at times

Travis Varcoe 8/185-2/148 Important player for us, but injury plagued it seems.

Josh Thomas 9/41-6/25 Was better than expected upon return, probably benefit form full pre-season and being back at the club

Jackson Ramsay 8/17-0/0 Trade/delist has been restricted by injury and robbed of confidence as a result. Was playing 2017 for his career and he knew it.

Henry Schade 8/28-1/1 Not sold but lack of key position options probably gives him another year. Disposal needs dramatic improvement

Mason Cox 9/20-10/27 Love his effort but not the long term answer age is against him

James Aish 8/55-1/19 Has it all but decision making lets him down, only 55 games so 2018/19 will show if he can live up to his potential

Jesse White 4/127-5/148 Retired

Callum Brown 5/5-1/1 Liked his last game, size is an issue, but seems to have the heart of a lion time will tell

Chris Mayne 3/175-2/198 Ask him to retire, otherwise we waste a list spot for the next two years.

Ben Crocker 3/13-3/13 Delist, small forward without the potential to become a mid. Hasn't shown enough and we have a lot at this size

Josh Daicos 2/2-1/1 Skill on his side, size against him. Time will tell

Rupert Wills 1/6-0/1 Like him and what he brings, but needs to get on the track. Think he will be given another opportunity in 2018

Lachlan Keeffe 0/40-0/7 Lack of key position players may save him, but 2018 will need to be big for him.

Kayle Kirby 1/1- 0/0 Didn't look out of place in his game. Big pre-season and a dozen games will tell a story. Don't overload with expectation

Ben Sinclair 0/63-0/22 Sad but I think what's best for Ben and the club is his retirement

Sam McLarty 0/0-0/0 Will need a big pre-season and a few games in 2018 to show a bit

Brayden Sier 0/0-0/0 Nice try - FAIL

Adam Oxley 0/31-0/9 Delist/trade, Times up, too many injuries and too light weight

Mitch McCarthy 0/0-0/0 Has apparently shown bit in the VFL

Liam Mackie 0/0-0/0 Don't know

Max Lynch 0/0-0/0 Don't know

Last edited by Born to Pie on Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:50 pm

Hard to push hard when you have a touch of Osteo - have you ever strained your groin and tried to jog??
Try running at full pace.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:52 pm

Pre-season and game time has been improve him Good decision maker but slow at times Travis Varcoe 8185~~17362~~148 Important player for us but injury plagued it seemsing.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:08 pm

Born to Pie wrote:
Player Name Games 2017/Career-Goals 2017/Career

Taylor Adams 22/97-9/36 Better in second half of the season, when he also hit the score bord a bit more. Needs to improve disposal.

Steele Sidebottom 22/185-16/139 Good season but not great. Commentators think he has great disposal, but dinky, cute kicks need to go.

Jack Crisp 22/84-6/41 Good season across half back, his run and carry will become invaluable. Needs to be better one on one and decision making and disposal can be improved.

Will Hoskin-Elliott 22/74-18/60 Getting better each game, is a versatile modern footballer. Needs more consistency and if possible add a bit of weight.

Brayden Maynard 22/51-6/12 The new raging bull. Could be anything but needs to continue to improve disposal and avoid brain fades.

Adam Treloar 21/122-13/74 Burst of speed brilliant, and could be elite but desperately needs to improve disposal and decision making. Playing injured late in the season?

Darcy Moore 21/47-25/58 Coming along nicely and will be very versatile utility. Needs to gain some weight and strength which will come.

Jeremy Howe 21/141-3/86 Good season, decision making and disposal can be improved

Alex Fasolo 19/100-29/133 Could have been his best season to date but for accuracy in front of goals. Issues need to be dealt with.

Brodie Grundy 20/82-4/27 Could be the number one ruckman in the league. Needs to add marking forward/ goal kicker to resume

Tyson Goldsack 20/161-1/50 Probably best and most consistent season ever. Glad he got another year. I like him as a pressure forward.

Tom Phillips 18/24-9/12 Improving but has his critics, only has 24 games his best is probably 2 seasons away. Keep improving.

Jamie Elliott 17/89-34/138 With a full pre-season will be better. Also benefit from more functional forward line with additional dangerous forwards (which we hopefully are developing)

Scott Pendlebury 16/252-5/157 Played injured for most of the season, extended break will help. May spend more time at half fwd/back in future

Lynden Dunn 17/182-1/98 Good season, plays above his weight and height probably only 1-2 years left

Levi Greenwood 16/119-7/55 Should be tagging best opposition mid every week, important component of our best team. Needs better disposal

Ben Reid 15/136-14/51 Up and down, still prefer him down back if we can afford to do that

Jordan De Goey 14/50-14/36 Improving all the time, he has huge potential and needs a more mature attitude to realise that potential

Tim Broomhead 14/35-8/27 Potential trade bait. 14 games a good return. Needs to become more consistent, and to hit the score board more often.

Josh Smith 13/31-2/6 Delist/trade. Trys very hard but size and poor decision making against him.

Jarryd Blair 12/155-11/121 Delist/trade. All heart but once again size and inability to get into a game the problem. He is a KPP in a rovers body

Daniel Wells 10/253-11/161 Elite. Needs a good pre-season and stay injury free for him to be of any value, otherwise he holds back the development of others

Tom Langdon 11/57-0/2/Improving and provided a lot in the second half of the season. Another who needs a good pre-season and injury free run of games.

Matthew Scharenberg 10/14-0/0 Injury free at last. Pre-season and game time will continue to improve him, Good decision maker but a bit slow at times

Travis Varcoe 8/185-2/148 Important player for us, but injury plagued it seems.

Josh Thomas 9/41-6/25 Was better than expected upon return, probably benefit form full pre-season and being back at the club

Jackson Ramsay 8/17-0/0 Trade/delist has been restricted by injury and robbed of confidence as a result. Was playing 2017 for his career and he knew it.

Henry Schade 8/28-1/1 Not sold but lack of key position options probably gives him another year. Disposal needs dramatic improvement

Mason Cox 9/20-10/27 Love his effort but not the long term answer age is against him

James Aish 8/55-1/19 Has it all but decision making lets him down, only 55 games so 2018/19 will show if he can live up to his potential

Jesse White 4/127-5/148 Retired

Callum Brown 5/5-1/1 Liked his last game, size is an issue, but seems to have the heart of a lion time will tell

Chris Mayne 3/175-2/198 Ask him to retire, otherwise we waste a list spot for the next two years.

Ben Crocker 3/13-3/13 Delist, small forward without the potential to become a mid. Hasn't shown enough and we have a lot at this size

Josh Daicos 2/2-1/1 Skill on his side, size against him. Time will tell

Rupert Wills 1/6-0/1 Like him and what he brings, but needs to get on the track. Think he will be given another opportunity in 2018

Lachlan Keeffe 0/40-0/7 Lack of key position players may save him, but 2018 will need to be big for him.

Kayle Kirby 1/1- 0/0 Didn't look out of place in his game. Big pre-season and a dozen games will tell a story. Don't overload with expectation

Ben Sinclair 0/63-0/22 Sad but I think what's best for Ben and the club is his retirement

Sam McLarty 0/0-0/0 Will need a big pre-season and a few games in 2018 to show a bit

Brayden Sier 0/0-0/0 Nice try - FAIL

Adam Oxley 0/31-0/9 Delist/trade, Times up, too many injuries and too light weight

Mitch McCarthy 0/0-0/0 Has apparently shown bit in the VFL

Liam Mackie 0/0-0/0 Don't know

Max Lynch 0/0-0/0 Don't know

Jeremy Howe needs to improve his disposal and decision making??? Are you for real??? Outside the odd aggressive in board kick to a target when we are desperate late in a game, he is elite in these areas,

Born to Pie 

Born to Pie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:35 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Jeremy Howe needs to improve his disposal and decision making??? Are you for real??? Outside the odd aggressive in board kick to a target when we are desperate late in a game, he is elite in these areas,

Actually his DE% is 78% not elite. Dunn & Langdon are 83% if we are to IMPROVE he can lift his effeciency by 5% and have less than 3 clangers per game as a key defender for us!

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:16 pm

Sadly, Mayne has 3 more years at Collingwood

And if Keeffe couldn't find a spot in the senior side in 2017, then his time with us is over.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:28 pm

The improvement will partly come from the players no longer in our senior side. I expect Blair, Smith, Crocker, White, Thomas, Broomhead, Aish, possibly Greenwood, Fasolo and even Reid to become fringe players, if not delisted/traded.

The big improvers should be Cox (if we can keep him), De Goey, Maynard (as a midfielder), Philips, WHE and Moore. With greater midfield depth I'm hoping we can use Pendles more often up front, which would immediately make us a 2 goal better side imo. If Wells can remain injury free, he will make us a better side too.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:30 pm

Why so critical on Phillips? Easily in our best 25.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:52 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
The improvement will partly come from the players no longer in our senior side. I expect Blair, Smith, Crocker, White, Thomas, Broomhead, Aish, possibly Greenwood, Fasolo and even Reid to become fringe players, if not delisted/traded.

The big improvers should be Cox (if we can keep him), De Goey, Maynard (as a midfielder), Philips, WHE and Moore. With greater midfield depth I'm hoping we can use Pendles more often up front, which would immediately make us a 2 goal better side imo. If Wells can remain injury free, he will make us a better side too.

As above, the easiest way to improve ( before any trading ) is to find yourself in a position where " limited " players aren't required to play with any regularity. I think our best 22 is ok and improving but we have little depth and it shows badly the moment we lose a couple of our top players.

Agree with most of your comments RB but I just don't see how Phillips will ever develop a right foot that is good enough to hold a spot in a top 8 team.

Conversely, given Fasolos issues in the first half of the year, I think he is very much a required player in our team. He plays a position that brings you good days and bad days, even when you are the best in the business. I think the second half of his year was very good. 100 games and 26 years old is closing in your peak potential. He's a definite keeper for mine.

FWIW, I wouldn't underestimate the improvement that will come with a supposed softer draw for finishing 13th or lower. Sad but true.

No long term injuries over the off season is a bonus too.
Agree that players like Langdon, sharenberg, Elliot and Thomas should all be much improved next year.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:55 pm

I don't have any plans yet.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:51 pm

There will be natural improvement across the board due to our team still being young. The only key players that are likely to decline due to age are Pendlebury, Dunn and Wells. There are many who will continue to improve.

The biggest source of improvement will be, hopefully, having most of our squad available from the start of the season. Missing Elliott, De Goey, Wells, Langdon, Scharenberg, Sinclair, Dunn (not injured but finding his way) and then Pendlebury playing injured hurt us early. I think Langdon's return was one of the reasons for our improved play late in the season, for instance.

I think our depth is actually very good, of a certain type. We can afford to lose mids like Greenwood or even Pendlebury. Losing Elliott at any point is a killer, same with our key talls. We also don't have enough Wells type players or Langdon, Maynard with dash from defence. I would have said Grundy, but Cox looked pretty good in the ruck late in the season. We beat or challenged teams with a number of significant outs over the last 6 weeks.

My view is we are extremely close to being a top 8 side. Natural improvement and a couple of additions should do it. Our main focus will be on a greater cutting edge. We scored better in spurts late in the season, just not consistent enough, earlier we struggled despite beating most opposition in general play. We were unlucky to lose some of those, but a stronger attack would have given us a bigger buffer during our dominant periods. That was our problem most of the year, too little margin for error as we didn't hit the scoreboard as much as we should have. The positive of course is that we were never dominated by any team over four quarters either.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:30 pm

Damien wrote:
Why so critical on Phillips? Easily in our best 25.

I'm a fan of Phillips, but the most obvious criticism is his skill execution.

He does have a tendency to butcher it a little too much for most people's liking as the match against Geelong last week showed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: