Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

BIG Kudos to our sensational Backline, all season !

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:39 pm
Post subject: BIG Kudos to our sensational Backline, all season !Reply with quote

I just want to give huge raps and big kudos to our boys in Defence this season, aka, Goldy, Howe, Maynard, Langdon, Reid, Dunn, they have all had a really terrific season. Fact is, our WORST loss, was only by six goals, only the tigers have a better back six, and even they lost by ten goals to the Saints, and the Crows got belted by 80 points too. Our defence has been grand, all season, for our worst loss to be only 37 points,is incredible, and those boys have done the Club proud. Our mids are pretty good, and our forward line realy lifted near seasons end, all we need is a top KPP Forward, and away we go, have a real tilt at the Finals.

But, our Backs have been marvellous, really great, nobody can deny that. ! Very Happy

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bet on it Pies some will deny any good at the club until Bucks leaves.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:31 pm
Post subject: Re: BIG Kudos to our sensational Backline, all season !Reply with quote

Piesnchess wrote:
I just want to give huge raps and big kudos to our boys in Defence this season, aka, Goldy, Howe, Maynard, Langdon, Reid, Dunn, they have all had a really terrific season. Fact is, our WORST loss, was only by six goals, only the tigers have a better back six, and even they lost by ten goals to the Saints, and the Crows got belted by 80 points too. Our defence has been grand, all season, for our worst loss to be only 37 points,is incredible, and those boys have done the Club proud. Our mids are pretty good, and our forward line realy lifted near seasons end, all we need is a top KPP Forward, and away we go, have a real tilt at the Finals.

But, our Backs have been marvellous, really great, nobody can deny that. ! Very Happy

Agree with this for sure. Piesnchess. The facts you have stated above are undeniable and speak volumes.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:36 pm

Yep. Said it all year. The way we get sliced open for end to end scores ... backline has held up amazingly well.
ad4eva Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:45 pm

To not lose a game by over 40 points has certainly been a positive and there have been some excellent individual efforts.

- Maynards ability to cement a place in the side and at such a young age bridge that experience gap to becoming a 50+ game player is exciting.

- Dunn and Goldsack solidifying and personifying defence as role models.

- Langdon and Scharenberg returning from long term injuries, playing a huge block of footy and looked better as each week wore on.

- Jeremy Howe on a sensational season which should be rewarded with an AA jumper.

My only knock on this defence (which can be related to the entire squad) is the efficiency in which teams score once getting into our D50.

Too many times this year we have either
A) - allowed a run on of 4-5 goals in quick time, reducing any lead we may have had or putting the game out of reach
B) - controlling play with multiple I50 entries, then allowing the ball to springboard back to defence and allow a momentum turning score.

Plenty to work on. Infact if we fix these issues, id say we win at least another 4 games on this years form.

Ironically 4 teams that spring to mind which this occurred against was Adelaide, GWS, Geelong and Richmond - this years top 4.
scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:49 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Yep. Said it all year. The way we get sliced open for end to end scores ... backline has held up amazingly well.

And still only a 24pt ave losing margin,must of been heaps & heaps of those end to end goals. Can you let me know how many in the last 17 rounds?
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:53 pm

I said end to end scores. Semantics, I know, but still.

I think you only have to watch the Adelaide game, the Port games, the Melbourne game on the weekend, the Hawthorn game, the ANZAC Day game and most recent Ess game, even the Brisbane game ... you want me to on?

melliot 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:58 pm

Defense is a whole team mechanisum.

Average of 89.2 points against. Is the best in our grouping of the ladder.

The league best being the Swans at 75 points.

We still leak coast to coast too much.

Our defense would be better if we conected to our forwards better too. Turnovers at half forward kill us. Teams set up for that.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:06 pm

We shouldn't forget to acknowledge Schade in our defensive structures this year. He was only forced out of the team by Dunn. Schade's efforts in nullifying Franklin contributed to our win against the Swans.
dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:22 pm
Post subject: Re: BIG Kudos to our sensational Backline, all season !Reply with quote

Piesnchess wrote:

Whilst its true we have the lowest AVERAGE losing margin for all teams, and I agree our backline worked very hard all year and repelled attack after attack with pure dogged determination, we do not have the second best backline as stated in the OP.

Ultimately it purely comes down to the points scored against and we finished 10th in that equation. Swans best, Power and Tigers are the top three defenses.

To improve next year, we would need to cut back scores against by 10 points per game (doesnt sound like much but it is). This would have won us 2 1/2 more games this year and changed our percentage (assuming same points for) to 112% ish and pushed us into 7th on 48 points.

If we could then ADD 10 points per game to our offense (again doesnt sound like much but it is HUGE thing to do) that would add 5 full wins (20 pts) and taken our percentage up to 125%ish. THat would have us on 56 points and 4th, possibly higher.

There is a fine line between 13th and top 4 - as little as 3 goals 2 behinds per game but it is very hard to do.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:23 pm

I think I may have missed Scharenberg, he plays a fair bit downback, I think hes been terrific for us since he finally, overcame injuries.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
hermie Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:36 pm

we go coast to coast a fair bit ourselves
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: