Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 2017 Nathan Buckley Debate thread (Part 2!)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nathan Buckley - What should the club do with him?
Sack him now (not playing finals, get started on a replacement)
25%
 25%  [ 35 ]
Sack him end of season (not the man but why concede the year now?)
8%
 8%  [ 12 ]
Sack him on the run home (if the wheels have really fallen off)
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Decide end of season (I'm still in his corner)
10%
 10%  [ 14 ]
Decide end of season (He's just not up to it)
6%
 6%  [ 9 ]
Decide end of season (I'm honestly undecided)
11%
 11%  [ 16 ]
Re-sign him on the run home (fait accompli, just pick our moment)
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
Re-sign him end of season (he's the man, but no need to rush)
8%
 8%  [ 12 ]
Re-sign him now (he WILL be our next premiership coach!)
18%
 18%  [ 25 ]
I really don't know (but I will back the club whatever it decides)
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 136

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:15 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

On tonights Mangarook footy show, the best footy show on tele, Tony Shaw was on, and he said, in his opinion, that Bucks has "never coached better than he has this year ". Make of that what you will, don't have a go at me by the way, I'm merely reporting what the great man said. !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Georgia 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:20 pm

i heard they were creating a succession plan where buckley would stay as ouch for two more years then replace eddie
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:20 pm

A reasonable argument. But what about year 7? You could argue it was underperforming with the list available. They went backwards in 4 of the 7 years he had coached in that period.

It is hard to compare with any certainty, but when you take a very broad look at it, they still hadn't 'achieved' anything of great note in the 7 seasons. You also need to consider that they were coming of a low base from prior to 2000 (11th in 1999, 12th in 1998 - after H&A), they were more likely to move up than down, even more so given they were 2nd in 1997 in the H&A season.

Last edited by AnthonyC on Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Georgia 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:21 pm

stay as coach *
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:52 pm

Georgia wrote:
i heard they were creating a succession plan where buckley would stay as ouch for two more years then replace eddie

hes definately an ouch

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:33 am

Piesnchess wrote:
On tonights Mangarook footy show, the best footy show on tele, Tony Shaw was on, and he said, in his opinion, that Bucks has "never coached better than he has this year ". Make of that what you will, don't have a go at me by the way, I'm merely reporting what the great man said. !

And yet we're heading for our worst season yet in terms of W/L.

Shaw is probably hoping he gets another year because 5 years of crap beats 4. Wink

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:29 am

Did anyone notice Shawy's tongue bursting through his cheek?
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:19 am

Piesnchess wrote:
Quote:

Look, this is a man who loved Collingwood to death. You should not be listening to people who want the fantasy, the package, who want this guy to succeed, in spite of all the evidence to the contrary. It's like St Kilda's relationship to Tony Lockett - when he left they got better, but it broke their heart. We have been down this road before - Phil Carman, Geoff Raines, Tony Shaw himself. We want the fairy tale to succeed, and it blinds us to reality.

You should be listening to those who like Collingwood, rather than those who love Collingwood. Do you honestly think that Lou Richards at the height of his powers would hold back with his criticism of 6 years of underachievement? He would let them have it with both barrels, as he did in 1973 and 1980. Des Tuddenham and Ray Shaw were ferocious critics of Collingwood. I don't know what these people think, but I suspect it wouldn't be pretty...
Leggie Aries

Bucks for PM.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:01 pm

regan is true fullback wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Quote:

Look, this is a man who loved Collingwood to death. You should not be listening to people who want the fantasy, the package, who want this guy to succeed, in spite of all the evidence to the contrary. It's like St Kilda's relationship to Tony Lockett - when he left they got better, but it broke their heart. We have been down this road before - Phil Carman, Geoff Raines, Tony Shaw himself. We want the fairy tale to succeed, and it blinds us to reality.

You should be listening to those who like Collingwood, rather than those who love Collingwood. Do you honestly think that Lou Richards at the height of his powers would hold back with his criticism of 6 years of underachievement? He would let them have it with both barrels, as he did in 1973 and 1980. Des Tuddenham and Ray Shaw were ferocious critics of Collingwood. I don't know what these people think, but I suspect it wouldn't be pretty...

I tend to disagree mate.
Over the years if ive ever heard an ex Collingwood player/coach not be afraid to say it how it is its Tony Shaw. Im not saying he is right in his assessment but he doesnt usually hold back.

Go Pies

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:32 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

And yet we're heading for our worst season yet in terms of W/L.

Shaw is probably hoping he gets another year because 5 years of crap beats 4. Wink

You are a very cynical old man... Wink

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:24 pm
Post subject: A close examination of the facts behind Collingwood's woesReply with quote

We all know our team has performed poorly in terms of wins/losses, and many people it seems, are quick to lay the blame for this at the feet of our coach, Nathan Buckley. Of course, he must bear some responsibility, but a closer examination of the the facts suggest a number of key organisational and management issues are chiefly responsible for our declining fortunes of late. Even if you don't agree with it all (and I don't), it's a pretty well balanced and insightful article.

https://sportingchancemag.com/its-not-all-black-and-white-with-buckley-412cd7ba1802
madman Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:49 pm
Post subject: The coaching dilemmaReply with quote

The coaching dilemma (if this has been done to death & people are sick of talking about our coach, just delete it)

These are my thoughts, I would like to hear other people’s thoughts & opinions.

1. If Nathan Buckley is given a new contract to coach @ Collingwood next year (which I hope he is) – I would like to see the club go down the same route as what Richmond did last year, obviously by keeping the head coach & hiring a new lot of assistance coaches. It has worked okay for Richmond this year, this is the approach I hope Collingwood takes.

2. If Nathan Buckley isn’t given a new coaching contract, the 2 coaches I hope they go after are:

• My first preference is Mark Thompson – he is an experienced premiership coach, has the runs on the board. Having listened to him talk a bit on the tv show “360” he is very impressive with his knowledge on the game and the internal running’s of a club.

Also, he has been through a similar situation as to what Buckley is going through now, regarding the club review.

My only apprehension is, is he scarred from what he had to go through at Essendon, having listened to him on “360”, it still sounds like the drug saga still weighs heavily
On his shoulders & he is not totally over it.

• My second preference is Paul Roos – another very good premiership coach. Although he never coached Melbourne to great heights, he taught them how to defend & not get blown out every game, as they had in previous years. Melbourne are starting to look like a pretty good team now, which most thanks would have to be attributed to Paul Roos for putting the building blocks in place.
But does he still have the desire to coach, as he stated in the past that doesn’t want to coach again. Never say never.

• I know a few other teams have done well with first time coaches, but I think Collingwood needs an experienced coach, if Buckley isn’t @ Collingwood next year.
Smile
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:07 pm

regan is true fullback wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Quote:

Disagree, I have heard Shaw be very critical of the Club, at times, last year, he copped flak on here for being TOO critical. Shaw loves the Pies, but he knows his oats better than many on here. Surprised

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:19 pm

Getting retired Hodge to replace one of our inept Assistant Coaches, would be a very positive step. Hodge is a born Leader, and has a modern day footy brain, and nous !

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:42 pm

I'm more confident than ever that Bucks will get a contract extension, but there will be some serious changes of management and footy department personnel to come at the end of the year. Clearly several of them should have left the club when Malthouse departed, to allow Bucks to have a clean slate to work with. But better late than never. The whole culture around the club needs improving and that can only happen by moving several people out.

I just hope that when Bucks gets his contract extension that all of his knockers on Nicks will put their negative feelings behind them and get behind Bucks and the team. Side by Side!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
Page 49 of 101   

Jump to: