Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 2017 Nathan Buckley Debate thread (Part 2!)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nathan Buckley - What should the club do with him?
Sack him now (not playing finals, get started on a replacement)
25%
 25%  [ 35 ]
Sack him end of season (not the man but why concede the year now?)
8%
 8%  [ 12 ]
Sack him on the run home (if the wheels have really fallen off)
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Decide end of season (I'm still in his corner)
10%
 10%  [ 14 ]
Decide end of season (He's just not up to it)
6%
 6%  [ 9 ]
Decide end of season (I'm honestly undecided)
11%
 11%  [ 16 ]
Re-sign him on the run home (fait accompli, just pick our moment)
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
Re-sign him end of season (he's the man, but no need to rush)
8%
 8%  [ 12 ]
Re-sign him now (he WILL be our next premiership coach!)
18%
 18%  [ 25 ]
I really don't know (but I will back the club whatever it decides)
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 136

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:57 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

"You're so wrong here Bob.

We haven't lost a game by more than 23 points, we've lost a couple by a kick to sides sitting in the 8, we've played every side in the 8, bar the 2 Adelaide teams.

Our percentage is about 20% in front of where it was last year, only 3 sides have had more scoring shots than us and our Defence looks way better structured than it has for years.

If you don't think we look more dangerous this year then I don't know what to say."

Great post - love it Smile

At this stage last year, we were 4-7 and been flogged in 6 of those games.

I think we'll continue to improve and make the bottom half of the 8.

Bucks stays Cool[/quote]like **** he does.[/quote]

Listen sweetie - sorry Sugar boy.

You guys are floundering, in your anti Bucks agenda, you haven't been able to lay a punch for the last 5 weeks.
And it's only a matter time before you throw in the towel.

The team has improved this year WITHOUT question, as others have pointed out, and you guys lack the fortitude to accept this progress.

There is no guarantee that Bucks will keep his job, but he is a lot closer today than he was early in the season, which I know is disconcerting, and the cause of your insomnia.[/quote]

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:25 pm

Boom, tish. Cool
ThePieMind 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:50 pm

Krakouer Magic wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
Adam Treloar 3 Votes wrote:
I can't believe that there are over 100 pages on this thread. What a waste of time.

Some posters won't like it but based on my 40 odd years of following footy I can't see Buckley getting sacked. He is not even close to it. Coaches get sacked when they lose the players and supporters get sick of being thrashed on a regular occurrence. Think Leppitsch (Bris), Mark Neale (Melb), Malthouse ( Carl).

Collingwood do not fit the above criteria. Players clearly invested and playing for coach and we haven't been thrashed even once. We are probably the most competitive of all the teams in that regard. Even Adelaide, Geelong, GWS have all been given bigger touch ups than Collingwood.

So while this Part 2 thread works it's way up to another 100 pages, I am sure that come season end the anti-Buckley campaigners will be disappointed.

It is funny that not being thrashed is more important than winning.
And the idea that players are playing for the coach excludes their professional attitude to winning.

Couldn't agree more. I said after round 1. Get ready for plenty of honourable losses. I wasn't wrong.

We have one good purple patch a game and then usually 3/4 qtrs of below average to average football. We had over 400 touches and 61 inside 50's for a return of 15.10.100. That's the most inefficient gamestyle going around.

How many goals we give up with terrible skills leaving half back and trying to transition via the middle? We actually did better vs Melbourne when we worked the flanks quickly by foot. Yet the game style requires players to wank about with dumb hand pass chains and stupid transistion kicks back to the corridor.

How many goals we give up through turnovers off half back? It must have been at least 5? That's something that happens every week. And it's the gamestyle that's responsible for it. We were terrible vs the Lions for a lot of that game. We shrugged off freo by 20 and the Lions belted them by 10 goals.

As for having key Fwds, I reckon the gameplan is built for a team of 15 midfielders. Run and carry and have the midget fleet kick goals. The mids like treloar are expected to run and carry 100 meters and kick the goals. By the time we've stopped oversharing the ball between the archs and finally get it inside 50 no tall fwd is ever gonna have a chance to be one out. So there's no point going out and buying a key forward in the off season. Cause the gameplan ain't gonna play to their strengths

This game plan has turned around our season, and a major improvement on last year. Its also the same game plan that has beaten GEEL, SWANS and just missed against GWS and MELB.
Its also the same game plan (through the corrirdor) that ESS used in PA.

So no there is nothing wrong with the game plan - but I understand that its just "straw clutching" in a continued vendattas against Buckley.

You'll need to try another tactic, because bagging the game plan is very lame.

Last edited by ThePieMind on Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:20 pm

That would be "tack", not "tact".
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:38 pm

Look Bucks has always spoken well in the media and even on footy classified you could see his knowledge of the game stand above the rest.

I have never said or thought that he has lost the players or they aren't invested.

But why I don't think Bucks will win us a flag in the next 5 years is that while it might not have been his decision alone but a decision nonetheless was made in 2013 to rejuvenate the list. Again I am not blaming Buckley completely but clearly he has a strong vision of how to play the game but I don't believe the list rollover has delivered the players with the skills to implement the plan on a consistent basis to get us into the top 4. Also the list rollover has left a few holes in a couple of key areas that need to be filled before we can genuinely challenge again.

My other issue is Bucks on game day when plan A doesn't work. Seen it time and time again. On Monday with Grundy dominating the ruck we were winning the clearance with ease. At half time Goodwin made moves to change the dynamic to at least try to stem our domination. Grundy still dominated the ruck but Melbourne got well on top in this area (they are not known to be a good clearance side) yet we let the game flow until next to no time they were in front and a 5 goal lead vanished. Why couldn't we throw an Aish or De Goey into 1 of the centre bounces or in the middle 5 or so minutes to change the dynamic and make Melbourne come up with a counter plan it was if it was like he was waiting for us to rest back control in general play but sometimes you need to throw in a different mix to stop momentum before it gets out of control.

My other concern is whether this type of game style will hold up in the heat of finals against the best. I have seen it fall away when teams put extreme pressure on us maybe not as much this year as the previous too but the Carlton game and when Melbourne pushed up the throttle on the pressure factor. Our good wins this year seem to be when teams haven't applied a heap of pressure on us even within games like Sydney and GWS teams have been able to force us into problems when applying pressure but we only seem to build leads when its off.

I will support the club no matter who the coach is next year but I have a feeling the real success is still 3 years away. We have a pretty good list that needs a bit of tinkering. I personally think it might be better for someone else to take it to the next level. Bucks might get us there eventually but someone else might get us there quicker.

ThePieMind 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:59 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
That would be "tack", not "tact".

It was tactic- fixed now but thanks.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:44 pm

Watched the footy classified interview on the app today. The man is all class. He can coach. resign him whenever. He bleeds black n white.
Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:48 pm

Skids

Duck!!! We,ve had three wins since you flew North for the summer.... where will you be after we ......The Pies!!!... are sitting in the top 8 tomorrow?!

Where's your Monkey and the grinder Krakouer?.... are they ok?

Good call mate. Top 8 my ass. And I chose not to post for 3 weeks cause I thought I'd let some of you Bucks lovers enjoy those unconvincing wins without me pointing how shit we played in those games. Also, I've kind of lost passion for the club. The flaws are obvious, systematic and continuous. The lack of attention to detail remains. Regardless of win or loss my opinion won't change. I think bringing in a new voice will take this talented group of young players into the 8.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:11 pm

Damien wrote:
Watched the footy classified interview on the app today. The man is all class. He can coach. resign him whenever. He bleeds black n white.

I bleed black and white as well.

He's an impressive man no doubt, but he isn't a good coach.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
E 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:51 am

i think two facts decide this debate.

1. His players are trying there arses off. A coach who has lost the playing group CANNOt get that level of commitment from his team.

2. Although the game plan we have isn't working 100% of the time, we are starting to see beautiful football in patches now and i believe that the way we are playing will only continue to be more and more dominant for longer stretches as the players continue to work it.

I would argue that we really are just one dominant forward away from being an extremely dangerous football team. What a shame Elliot went down when he did because the forward line had just about clicked when comprised of Moore, DeGoey, Elliot and Faz with cameos from others. Those 4 are deadly shots for goal (Faz seems to be recovering from his early season troubles which we never saw before this year and the other 3 are incredibly reliable).

All in all, with those two ingredients in place, a coach should be feeling the love from fans and the club.

I know it has taken a long time to get here, but there are valid reasons for that. For 2 years we had a post premiership list that was coming off the pinnacle (very few coaches have to live through that at the start of their career). i wouldnt count those years. Then there was a re-build that had to be done without draft picks meaning that we couldn't plug in a Franklin, a Kennedy or a Bontempelli to solve tonnes of problems. This meant it has taken 3-4 years to build out this list and as noted above, there is still a hole or two in the rebuilt team.

All in all, its been a tough grind, but i think Bucks deserves a chance to see what becomes of this list that he has just built. I'd give him 2 more years now and if in 2018, the team isn't playing for him or the game plan hasn't continued to evolve successfully, then i'd sack him a year early.

its common for an emerging group to have a year where the results dont meet the level of their playing ability (losing close ones and hurting yourself by not playing for 4 full quarters). History in the AFL (and in other sports incidentally) show that a team that suffers such heartbreak in a year follows it up with a breakout year.

PS: by way of example, in major league baseball, a stat is kept for teams that lose a massive amount of close games and this helps commentators to predict the team that will have a massive improvement ion the following year.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:09 am
Post subject: Bucks the coach--Bucks the manReply with quote

Watched his interveiw on Footy Classified and this is
not in any way about coaching--more to the point how he wont be manipulated to create a false story

When asked by Velvet if he thought players saw any vunerability in him he said you would have to ask the player

But then he shot back a reply to the ex Bomber
When you played under Sheedy did you see vunerability in him and Matthew was floored

Why these media try to prise out of good people something to feather their own nest astounds me

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:18 am

Johnno75 wrote:
Look Bucks has always spoken well in the media and even on footy classified you could see his knowledge of the game stand above the rest.

I have never said or thought that he has lost the players or they aren't invested.

But why I don't think Bucks will win us a flag in the next 5 years is that while it might not have been his decision alone but a decision nonetheless was made in 2013 to rejuvenate the list. Again I am not blaming Buckley completely but clearly he has a strong vision of how to play the game but I don't believe the list rollover has delivered the players with the skills to implement the plan on a consistent basis to get us into the top 4. Also the list rollover has left a few holes in a couple of key areas that need to be filled before we can genuinely challenge again.

My other issue is Bucks on game day when plan A doesn't work. Seen it time and time again. On Monday with Grundy dominating the ruck we were winning the clearance with ease. At half time Goodwin made moves to change the dynamic to at least try to stem our domination. Grundy still dominated the ruck but Melbourne got well on top in this area (they are not known to be a good clearance side) yet we let the game flow until next to no time they were in front and a 5 goal lead vanished. Why couldn't we throw an Aish or De Goey into 1 of the centre bounces or in the middle 5 or so minutes to change the dynamic and make Melbourne come up with a counter plan it was if it was like he was waiting for us to rest back control in general play but sometimes you need to throw in a different mix to stop momentum before it gets out of control.

My other concern is whether this type of game style will hold up in the heat of finals against the best. I have seen it fall away when teams put extreme pressure on us maybe not as much this year as the previous too but the Carlton game and when Melbourne pushed up the throttle on the pressure factor. Our good wins this year seem to be when teams haven't applied a heap of pressure on us even within games like Sydney and GWS teams have been able to force us into problems when applying pressure but we only seem to build leads when its off.

I will support the club no matter who the coach is next year but I have a feeling the real success is still 3 years away. We have a pretty good list that needs a bit of tinkering. I personally think it might be better for someone else to take it to the next level. Bucks might get us there eventually but someone else might get us there quicker.

Great Post, the only real change he has made has been Crisp to the back half with mixed results.

www.facebook/the hybernators
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:18 am

Johnno75 wrote:

Great Post, the only real change he has made has been Crisp to the back half with mixed results.

www.facebook/the hybernators
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:04 pm

I do note that over half of votes are for retaining Bucks as coach. Seems the tide is turning in his favour. Cool
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:06 pm

Johnno75, melbourne are the sixth best team at clearances. They average 1 clearance less per game than the crows who are second, the giants are well in front of the comp.

"Not known for being a good clearance side" doesn't seem like a valid statement.

Not picking at you directly, but I read your comment and my gut feel was it was incorrect.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
Page 3 of 101   

Jump to: