Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 2017 Nathan Buckley Debate thread (Part 2!)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 99, 100, 101  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nathan Buckley - What should the club do with him?
Sack him now (not playing finals, get started on a replacement)
25%
 25%  [ 35 ]
Sack him end of season (not the man but why concede the year now?)
8%
 8%  [ 12 ]
Sack him on the run home (if the wheels have really fallen off)
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Decide end of season (I'm still in his corner)
10%
 10%  [ 14 ]
Decide end of season (He's just not up to it)
6%
 6%  [ 9 ]
Decide end of season (I'm honestly undecided)
11%
 11%  [ 16 ]
Re-sign him on the run home (fait accompli, just pick our moment)
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
Re-sign him end of season (he's the man, but no need to rush)
8%
 8%  [ 12 ]
Re-sign him now (he WILL be our next premiership coach!)
18%
 18%  [ 25 ]
I really don't know (but I will back the club whatever it decides)
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 136

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say for sure. Smile
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:14 pm

mattys123 wrote:
GreekLunatic wrote:
mattys123 wrote:
Ok, which Nicks poster put the "sack bucks" sheet up at the Holden Centre this morning?

Bit harsh after yesterday.

Saw that too maybe it wasn't a pies fan

Strangest thing ever, said "Sack Bucks, hire Boof".

WHO? The only Boof I know is Darren Lehman, Weird.

Maybe it was KM (not you King Monkey Cool the other KM), Bob Sugar & thompsoc.... it was meant to say "Wolf" not boof Wink

Last edited by Skids on Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:15 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Let's forget about the last 5 years. Maybe Bucks was given the job too early, maybe he had to learn on the job, maybe he has had to wait until he had the right assistants to work with? Basically, I couldn't give a rats arse whether he was a good or rotten coach over the previous 5 years.

All I'm interested in is whether he is a good coach in 2017. On that score I reckon he has been absolutely outstanding. Despite having no CHB or CHF, we have been one of the most consistently competitive sides in the comp. No-one, I repeat NO-ONE has been able to thump us. Bad goal kicking cost us games early in the season, but Bucks righted the ship and we are playing very good, hard attacking football. This year - the only year I'm interested in - Bucks is coaching far better than Lyon, Clarkson, Longmire and Beveridge. I expect him to get a contract extension and the sooner the better.

fair points. In coaching, past performance is the past. it's the present and future that count. If you let go of the past (which some will find extremely difficult) he's coaching well, has adapted and improved each weakness during the year as it arose and we're playing a good brand of footy and competitive.

It also seems apparent the players are playing for him.

I voted to leave it to the club. If they think someone else could get more out of this list, then get them and change. If not, extend. All will work out in the fullness of time and I won't cry either way.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:44 pm

stui magpie wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Let's forget about the last 5 years. Maybe Bucks was given the job too early, maybe he had to learn on the job, maybe he has had to wait until he had the right assistants to work with? Basically, I couldn't give a rats arse whether he was a good or rotten coach over the previous 5 years.

All I'm interested in is whether he is a good coach in 2017. On that score I reckon he has been absolutely outstanding. Despite having no CHB or CHF, we have been one of the most consistently competitive sides in the comp. No-one, I repeat NO-ONE has been able to thump us. Bad goal kicking cost us games early in the season, but Bucks righted the ship and we are playing very good, hard attacking football. This year - the only year I'm interested in - Bucks is coaching far better than Lyon, Clarkson, Longmire and Beveridge. I expect him to get a contract extension and the sooner the better.

fair points. In coaching, past performance is the past. it's the present and future that count. If you let go of the past (which some will find extremely difficult) he's coaching well, has adapted and improved each weakness during the year as it arose and we're playing a good brand of footy and competitive.

It also seems apparent the players are playing for him.

I voted to leave it to the club. If they think someone else could get more out of this list, then get them and change. If not, extend. All will work out in the fullness of time and I won't cry either way.

Fair enough stui, except if it turns out bad for Bucks then I will cry. Crying or Very sad
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:00 pm

I'm probably more torn now than at any time during his tenure.
The past is the past but it does have credence in judging his block of work.
His statement that it was finals or bust one of the most silly statements ever made by a coach.
Collingwood is big news without the coach throwing fuel on a fire. He should have said that decision will be made in the course of 2017 end story.
There was always going to be conjecture this season with his tenure but seriously he didn't need to be so damn honest in answering.

I said previously finals was only part of the puzzle for him to stay.
For mine being competitive was a part showing significant signs of improvement in game style and structure was part of it, seeing how the players react to him was part of it, and wins losses was a big part of it as well. Thus far I think he's ticked a couple boxes (being competitive & players trust) but there are still 2 teetering in the balance (game style structure) and 1 box (finals) which isn't close to being ticked yet.
He can still make finals and actually that's the most achievable box left to tick.
We still see issues with out style and structure week to week, quarter to quarter which needs urgent attention.
Part of me wants to see him succeed because he's been a heart and soul Collingwood man but a part also wants this team to achieve success
Right now if I was being forced to make a decision on his future as of today it's sorry bucks your time is done.
I just haven't seen enough to make me think success is coming any time soon under his tenure.
Adam Treloar 3 Votes 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:02 pm

I can't believe that there are over 100 pages on this thread. What a waste of time.

Some posters won't like it but based on my 40 odd years of following footy I can't see Buckley getting sacked. He is not even close to it. Coaches get sacked when they lose the players and supporters get sick of being thrashed on a regular occurrence. Think Leppitsch (Bris), Mark Neale (Melb), Malthouse ( Carl).

Collingwood do not fit the above criteria. Players clearly invested and playing for coach and we haven't been thrashed even once. We are probably the most competitive of all the teams in that regard. Even Adelaide, Geelong, GWS have all been given bigger touch ups than Collingwood.

So while this Part 2 thread works it's way up to another 100 pages, I am sure that come season end the anti-Buckley campaigners will be disappointed.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:08 pm

Adam Treloar 3 Votes wrote:
I can't believe that there are over 100 pages on this thread. What a waste of time.

Some posters won't like it but based on my 40 odd years of following footy I can't see Buckley getting sacked. He is not even close to it. Coaches get sacked when they lose the players and supporters get sick of being thrashed on a regular occurrence. Think Leppitsch (Bris), Mark Neale (Melb), Malthouse ( Carl).

Collingwood do not fit the above criteria. Players clearly invested and playing for coach and we haven't been thrashed even once. We are probably the most competitive of all the teams in that regard. Even Adelaide, Geelong, GWS have all been given bigger touch ups than Collingwood.

So while this Part 2 thread works it's way up to another 100 pages, I am sure that come season end the anti-Buckley campaigners will be disappointed.

It is funny that not being thrashed is more important than winning.
And the idea that players are playing for the coach excludes their professional attitude to winning.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:26 pm

Bucks will be here at round 23. Any talk of him being gone before then is a waste as it just wont happen.

We have ten weeks left.

In that time we have many winnable games. If we sit inside the 8 once round 23 is over, Bucks will be here in 2018.

I honestly think the players have taken to him. But we need to be in the top 8 when finals start.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:33 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Bucks will be here at round 23. Any talk of him being gone before then is a waste as it just wont happen.

We have ten weeks left.

In that time we have many winnable games. If we sit inside the 8 once round 23 is over, Bucks will be here in 2018.

I honestly think the players have taken to him. But we need to be in the top 8 when finals start.

We are 5 to 7 and we need to win a minimum of 7 games and possibly 8 games out of the next 10 games to make the finals.
We have a lot of hard games ahead of us .
I think that is a hard ask.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:37 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Presti35 wrote:

We have ten weeks left.

We are 5 to 7 and we need to win a minimum of 7 games and possibly 8 games out of the next 10 games to make the finals.

Only the greatest coach of them all could get us into the finals from here. Wink
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:44 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
Presti35 wrote:

We have ten weeks left.

Only the greatest coach of them all could get us into the finals from here. Wink

Strangely enough Rudeboy I think we are a chance, not a big chance but a chance never the less.
I like what I have seen of late.
Just need a bit of luck.

Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:25 am

thompsoc wrote:
Adam Treloar 3 Votes wrote:

It is funny that not being thrashed is more important than winning.
And the idea that players are playing for the coach excludes their professional attitude to winning.

Couldn't agree more. I said after round 1. Get ready for plenty of honourable losses. I wasn't wrong.

We have one good purple patch a game and then usually 3/4 qtrs of below average to average football. We had over 400 touches and 61 inside 50's for a return of 15.10.100. That's the most inefficient gamestyle going around.

How many goals we give up with terrible skills leaving half back and trying to transition via the middle? We actually did better vs Melbourne when we worked the flanks quickly by foot. Yet the game style requires players to wank about with dumb hand pass chains and stupid transistion kicks back to the corridor.

How many goals we give up through turnovers off half back? It must have been at least 5? That's something that happens every week. And it's the gamestyle that's responsible for it. We were terrible vs the Lions for a lot of that game. We shrugged off freo by 20 and the Lions belted them by 10 goals.

As for having key Fwds, I reckon the gameplan is built for a team of 15 midfielders. Run and carry and have the midget fleet kick goals. The mids like treloar are expected to run and carry 100 meters and kick the goals. By the time we've stopped oversharing the ball between the archs and finally get it inside 50 no tall fwd is ever gonna have a chance to be one out. So there's no point going out and buying a key forward in the off season. Cause the gameplan ain't gonna play to their strengths
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:50 am

Saw an interveiw with Nathan who said "Its a two way street"
Saying the club may very well offer an extention but
i dont have to put my hand up to accept if I dont believe I can get the job done

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:54 am

Keep the page rolling, I do enjoy the posts and have a good chuckle. My thoughts are we have four groups of people. We have a group who stick by the Club/Coach no matter what. Then we have the group that want the Club/Coach gone. Then we have the group who are just pissed off about losing and blame whoever and when we win that group are silent and may whine about certain players performing. Then we have the fourth group who love the club but have come to a point in their lives where they really don't give a shit anymore and are losing interest in AFL at a rapid pace.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:00 am

Irrespective of what happens the footy world holds
Bucks as person of highest integrity

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 99, 100, 101  Next
Page 2 of 101   

Jump to: