Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 2017 Nathan Buckley Debate thread (Part 2!)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 99, 100, 101  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nathan Buckley - What should the club do with him?
Sack him now (not playing finals, get started on a replacement)
25%
 25%  [ 35 ]
Sack him end of season (not the man but why concede the year now?)
8%
 8%  [ 12 ]
Sack him on the run home (if the wheels have really fallen off)
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Decide end of season (I'm still in his corner)
10%
 10%  [ 14 ]
Decide end of season (He's just not up to it)
6%
 6%  [ 9 ]
Decide end of season (I'm honestly undecided)
11%
 11%  [ 16 ]
Re-sign him on the run home (fait accompli, just pick our moment)
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
Re-sign him end of season (he's the man, but no need to rush)
8%
 8%  [ 12 ]
Re-sign him now (he WILL be our next premiership coach!)
18%
 18%  [ 25 ]
I really don't know (but I will back the club whatever it decides)
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 136

Lone Ranger 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

So a decision has been made based on heart rather than head. On gut feel rather than objective data.
If you want to take risks like that, there needs to be consequences when you get it wrong.
I call on the board to pledge that they will resign if Buckley does not increase the number of Ws next year (ie 10 wins or they all go).
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:26 pm

I'm thrilled that Bucks has been retained.

I'll be even more thrilled if we can add one or two quality KPPs to our list to give our team a chance of on field success next year.
Leggie Aries

Bucks for PM.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:41 pm

Moist
BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:43 pm

Great review by the club... ooops I mean Ed.

I reckon the review ended once it was announced.

Seriously ego's are a huge part of this club.

If we don't make finals next year, Ed must resign. No ifs or butts.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:44 pm

I was in the pro Buckley camp up until this season. I was in the divided camp around the middle of the year. I was in the group that wanted the coach terminated when we lost to Hawthorn the second time around. Then I was in the group that thought he deserved a contract extension after the last month of football we played.

While I'm not thrilled that Buckley has been retained I think he did enough to get a two year extension. Could we have done better under an alternative coach? Possibly. Drew, Ratten and Tudor are good assistant coaches who might have done well at Collingwood. We will never know how we might have gone under those coaches. We will however know whether we made the correct decision renewing Buckley contract when it plays out next year. If we lose a succession of games next year it is possible Buckley will walk and then the club will be back to square one.

If we are to get better next year the senior coach is just one cog in a successful machine. Players. Key position players in particular, will make us better as a team. How do we get better when we have only one top ten draft pick in the national draft and no second draft pick? That's the question we have to ask ourselves. I hope the club has the answers here.
col 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:46 pm

Fantastic news, bring on 2018
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:53 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
I was in the pro Buckley camp up until this season. I was in the divided camp around the middle of the year. I was in the group that wanted the coach terminated when we lost to Hawthorn the second time around. Then I was in the group that thought he deserved a contract extension after the last month of football we played.

While I'm not thrilled that Buckley has been retained I think he did enough to get a two year extension. Could we have done better under an alternative coach? Possibly. Drew, Ratten and Tudor are good assistant coaches who might have done well at Collingwood. We will never know how we might have gone under those coaches. We will however know whether we made the correct decision renewing Buckley contract when it plays out next year. If we lose a succession of games next year it is possible Buckley will walk and then the club will be back to square one.

If we are to get better next year the senior coach is just one cog in a successful machine. Players. Key position players in particular, will make us better as a team. How do we get better when we have only one top ten draft pick in the national draft and no second draft pick? That's the question we have to ask ourselves. I hope the club has the answers here.

Fair enough BIFC. To improve our list I think we will need to make some hard decisions on a couple of good players, to trade them for a couple of quality talls, and also to free up salary space, made extremely tight by our crazy contract with Mayne on $500,000 for another 3 years!
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:56 pm

Would hope we are kept informed on the other components mentioned by
Walsh

Stage one is renewing Nathan's contract so is there a stage two or three or four

Who will Bucks share coaching duties with--will there be a mentor

Will there be a restructure of training and fitness --has Daveron been moved on

And recruiting and list management --are we comfortable with Dekka

Who goes from current players and have we got players targeted to sign

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:59 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

I'll be even more thrilled if we can add one or two quality KPPs to our list to give our team a chance of on field success next year.

Mirror my thoughts, which I arrived at a few weeks ago, really. I wont say anything else, I don't want to give Hillarys deploreables any ammo too use against me. Smile

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:03 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

this!
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:05 pm

I actually don't think there was too much around, in the coaching stakes, if we could have got Clarko, or Longmire, yeh, go for it, but I don't want some unknown quantity like Barker, Dew or someone. Roos loathes the Pies, so hes out. The team has improved markedly over the last several weeks, all we realy need is a KPP Forward, and get Lever, if we can. Bucks seems to have changed his style lately, Hardwick changed his style, and look what it has done for the Tigers. We can do it too.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:05 pm

While Ed remains president there was no way Bucks was going to go. It would be an admission that Ed stuffed up in the Malthouse - Buckley transition fiasco.

It is poor decision in my view & reflects poorly on Ed & the committee. I'm not anti-Bucks so much, as by almost all indicators he has been a failure as a coach when viewed through the prism of our ladder position, not making finals and generally some poor recruiting decisions (Aish worth two second round draft picks is mind boggling).

I thought both Ed & Bucks needed to go.

However, the stacked deck means that Bucks remains as does Ed. I wish neither of them poorly, badly or ill. It's just in my view they've had their time.

Having said that "Go Pies" & "Side by Side" with the coach having to prove himself .... again in contrast to the last 5 or so years.

AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:27 pm

If people think this is the end of the Great Buckley thread, they're sorely mistaken (even if this thread is locked, which would be silly because that would just spawn more threads, is that backseat moderating? No just an opinion).

What makes me laugh/sad is the incredibly unrealistic expectations that some have. I mean the perfect example is the often cited 'failure' of the Malthouse-Buckley Kirribilli agreement. Really? It yielded one flag and a GF appearance that should have been another bit of silverware (the second part is opinion). If that's failure I'll take it every time. The FLAG/GF-appearance is what is called a Fact.

Any discussion on what might have been if Malthouse stayed is opinion. We an debate it from here to infinity, but it will always be opinion.

regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:32 pm

It is not the end of the world, we were not going to win the flag next year anyways, so what is the harm with letting him stuff around with the team and develop the young youngsters.

We need high draft picks more than finals so Buckley's talent for getting them just might come in handy. Now that Jessie is gone, we desperately need a second ruck so Moore can go forward, so first priority should be to sign the Lanky Yank, no umming and ahring this time.

We have had some good results at the trade table, Adams and Treloar, but now is not the time to trade, use those picks. Keep the iffy ones, Ramsey, Broomhead, Aish and Philips because you never know, they might come in handy...

The enigmatic Daniel Wells will always be enigmatic, but if we can keep him on the park next year we could even get the holy grail for the kings of wishful thinking, eighth spot. He is, at the end of the day, a class act. Sadly, like many great champions, he will never know premiership success, but that's football.

Finally, we got 3 premierships by getting a group of talented youngsters together at the same time. Whatever our differences, we should endeavour to get that fourth group together however long it takes.
Ioannina 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:39 pm

great news...it feels like we won the premiership....but two years is not enough, his contract should be for 30 years...i think he needs another 15-20 years to develope an premiership team....
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 99, 100, 101  Next
Page 100 of 101   

Jump to: