Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 2017 Nathan Buckley Debate thread (Part 2!)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nathan Buckley - What should the club do with him?
Sack him now (not playing finals, get started on a replacement)
25%
 25%  [ 35 ]
Sack him end of season (not the man but why concede the year now?)
8%
 8%  [ 12 ]
Sack him on the run home (if the wheels have really fallen off)
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Decide end of season (I'm still in his corner)
10%
 10%  [ 14 ]
Decide end of season (He's just not up to it)
6%
 6%  [ 9 ]
Decide end of season (I'm honestly undecided)
11%
 11%  [ 16 ]
Re-sign him on the run home (fait accompli, just pick our moment)
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
Re-sign him end of season (he's the man, but no need to rush)
8%
 8%  [ 12 ]
Re-sign him now (he WILL be our next premiership coach!)
18%
 18%  [ 25 ]
I really don't know (but I will back the club whatever it decides)
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 136

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyon is heavily contracted, Roos loathes the Pies, Shaw is either pissed or smoking the weed, or both ! Get Real !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Cruisinwithdids 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:55 pm

Adam Treloar 3 Votes wrote:
Nathan Buckley will be head coach in 2018. That's what the players want, end of storey.

Do you think the players should choose the coach in the biggest sporting club in Australia? Does that sound healthy? Do you think maybe the players would feel a little insecure if the coach were sacked, and that may cause them to support the coach? How ridiculous.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:31 am

Cruisinwithdids wrote:

Do you think the players should choose the coach in the biggest sporting club in Australia? Does that sound healthy?

Much better when the President picks one of his best mates.
That's always a winner !
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:45 am

Ain't that the truth!
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:57 am

from Urban Dictionary:

Buyers Denial Syndrome

... a customer buying a product and it turns out to be a faulty product or was under the expectation of the customer who recieved it.

Instead of the customer
A. returning the product for a better one. or
B. realize that they have been duped and count their losses.
They instead lie to themselves that the product was supposed to do this all along and that this is a good product knowing that it is a bad investment.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:43 am

I don't know what the club is thinking at the moment. The speculation of Buckley's future was quelled in the short-term when Pert announced that Buckley would remain senior coach for the remainder of the year, but beyond that no one is sure of what the club is planning to do.

Eddie has asserted that the decision won't be made based on the performances that we've produced after the Essendon match when the rumours of Buckley's immediate coaching future were extinguished for the short-term. If Eddie is being truthful, then the club will obviously assess what we've produced this year and potentially assess his coaching performances from previous years and whether this has satisfied the expectations of the club internally.

The club has made noises about pushing for the finals in the last few years, which I always thought was somewhat unrealistic, especially in 2014 and 2015 when a rebuild of some sorts was being undertaken, but I wonder whether they truly expected us to be pushing for the 8 in these years or whether this was a way to convince supporters to renew or sign up for their memberships. If these expectations were being espoused both internally and externally, then Buckley has clearly fallen short of that mark and it would be difficult to mount an argument to extend his contract.

However, my gut feeling for a while has been that he would remain senior coach beyond this year, but a significant shake up of the football department and assistant coaches would occur, similar to what we saw with Richmond last year, but maybe it will not eventuate that way however. I feel that if Buckley was on the verge of not being renewed as coach, then the media would have started speculating about his demise already, which hasn't been apparent recently.

I don't think he's been a bad coach this year and he's been gradually improving from year to year as he attains more experience as a senior coach, but fundamentally the same issues under him have continued to rear their ugly head in relation to the game plan and he hasn't delivered on results. We've been having these debates dating back to 2014/2015 and I suspect if most thought we'd been here two or three years later stagnating and showing little progression in terms of wins and losses, then most would have understood that the potential for him to depart is very likely.

I just hope that when the club makes this important decision that it makes the right one, rather than the popular one, because any further setbacks from here could lead to a wasted decade for the club, similar to what we saw in the mid to late 90s. Arguably, we've lost about half a decade under this current system, and further setbacks beyond this year would be harmful for the club, so the club has reached the crossroads here and now is required to make an informed decision. Either back the coach and give him everything you afford to give him, or move him on and start again.

I don't think the club can endure another situation of another one-year extension where the speculation on the coach's future becomes endless once again this time next year, so if Buckley is extended, I think it needs to be at least two years.

Whatever happens, I will continue supporting the club with my membership, as no specific individual defines my love and passion for the football club, but it shouldn't necessarily be construed as an implicit endorsement of how the club is operating both on and off the field.

I've waffled on a bit now, but I'm trying to be as objective as possible in a time where emotions are running high on this issue.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:22 am

You haven't waffled on at all. It's a well explained post, and it's a footy forum, your emotion is a big part of the post. I too will buy my memberships regardless, but if I can keep my same reserved seats, I might just drop from legend. It's an extra couple of hundred each, what's the point?
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:49 am

No waffle at all Jezza. Well thought out and explained. Superb post.
GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:56 am

I just find it a little bit harsh that bucks doesn't know one way or the other shouldn't they have had the decentcy to inform him if he is coaching next year or not also I find it hard to believe that ed is torn with the decision
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:16 am

GreekLunatic wrote:
I just find it a little bit harsh that bucks doesn't know one way or the other shouldn't they have had the decentcy to inform him if he is coaching next year or not also I find it hard to believe that ed is torn with the decision

I reckon he knows. I just wish I could read his face better! I'm not sure which way it's falling. I hope we have the secret to end all secrets, ie we have nabbed a top name. Yeah I'm dreaming! I attended losing seasons before, back in the eighties, but it was never this boring. We are so boring to watch! Even an exciting loss would be better. Now it's so meh.

GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:09 pm

So did I hate this crab style we play it bores our fans too sleep the shaw era at least we played attacking footy
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:35 pm

GreekLunatic wrote:
So did I hate this crab style we play it bores our fans too sleep the shaw era at least we played attacking footy

Was this written by the love child of DTM and Hal?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:38 pm

If you could have any kind of robot what would it be?
ROB 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:51 pm

I am perplexed as to the fascination with getting Roos and or Lyon to the club. Roos was only successful because of concessions for Swans and his key assistant - Longmire, who has shown how much better a coach he is than Roos since he took over. Lyon? Well aren't the dockers setting the world on fire!!?? Why would you look at Lyon whose team is regressing?? I don't know what the answer is but I don't think these two are it.
Cruisinwithdids 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:16 pm

Agree I don't think Roos is the answer and Lyons game style would be something like the nightmare we are watching from Buckley. What would be required is a search for the next really good coach - the way hawthorn got Clarkson and the Bulldogs got Beveridge. No one else wanted them but those clubs found the right man for their job. Unfortunately for Collingwood it's difficult to find the best coach when you are not looking.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
Page 79 of 101   

Jump to: