Start rotating the Queens Birthday gate takings again?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Should the Queens Birthday match be rotated so Melbourne no longer receive the gate takings every year?
Yes
91%
 91%  [ 44 ]
No
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 48

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:21 pm

Dumping it would be dumb. We did all the work to bake the cake, it's time to get a fair slice of it.

Dunno mate, we also get screwed over by the umps, who seem to get caught up in the whole Freeze thing, and want the Deeees to win, no matter what. Surprised

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:43 pm

I don't give a toss about Melbourne. If they no longer need a leg up, then a change in what we do may be timely.
I hope we get all the facts first. Remember this away game is another guaranteed MCG game on top of all our allocated home games.
If we give it away, let's ensure we don't pick up an extra Etihad or interstate game to replace it. If that happened, I'd prefer to keep things as they are!

Ps I'm so old I remember being at Queens Bithday games that didn't involve Melbourne! In 1981 we played Hawthorn out at Waverley and set a record for the ground - 92,000 I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:14 am

Ps I'm so old I remember being at Queens Bithday games that didn't involve Melbourne! In 1981 we played Hawthorn out at Waverley and set a record for the ground - 92,000 I think.[/quote]

I wa there. All the aisles were chockers and the caterers ran out of supplies. The Health Department told the then AFL no more. The lines for the buses were massive. I ended up walking to Stud road, found an empty telephone box and rang Mum and my brother came and picked me up to take me back to Montrose.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:11 am

sixpoints wrote:
Remember this away game is another guaranteed MCG game on top of all our allocated home games.
If we give it away, let's ensure we don't pick up an extra Etihad or interstate game to replace it. If that happened, I'd prefer to keep things as they are!

If we didn't play melbourne on the 'QB' then where would a Collingwood-melbourne game be played regardless of who's home game it is? Surely not Etihad.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:12 pm

I'm in favour of keeping the QB game with Melbourne at the g. It does have a genuine tradition dating back 60 plus years. Much longer than the so called traditional Anzac Day game.
The first time I was allowed to go to the footy without mum or dad as a chaperone was QB 1976. We had a win, one of only 6 for the year. Fabulous Phil took a speccy right in front of where my brother and I were sitting. I was looking down at the time counting the coins to see if I had enough for a pie. Missed the best highlight of the game! Good memories of the day despite this.
So let's keep the game and share the gate. If we are good enough to win the big freeze sentiment won't make any difference. Just not quite good enough this year, that's all...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:33 pm

AnthonyC wrote:
sixpoints wrote:
Remember this away game is another guaranteed MCG game on top of all our allocated home games.

If we didn't play melbourne on the 'QB' then where would a Collingwood-melbourne game be played regardless of who's home game it is? Surely not Etihad.

I don't think anyone is suggesting the game be given away. All that's up for discussion is about who gets the dosh from the gate receipts. Clearly we have been gifting hundreds of thousands of dollars each year to the Dees, to help them get back on their feet, but our gift of charity must now come to an end. I expect from now on, the 2 clubs to alternate in taking the gate receipts - which is as it should be.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:54 pm

Dump it or rotate the gate. I'm sick of propping up that shit stain of a club and everyone else for that matter. It's a farce and has been going on for long enough. Since when did we become the salvation army?? Melscum have benefited financially for long enough. We pay their fines and paid for roos to coach them while they continually swallowed high prized draft picks. F*** em!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:13 pm

^ See, Warren knows where it's at!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:15 pm

Bumpskis - as apparently Eddie is in the negotiating process?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4