Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Start rotating the Queens Birthday gate takings again?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the Queens Birthday match be rotated so Melbourne no longer receive the gate takings every year?
Yes
91%
 91%  [ 44 ]
No
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 48

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

While it's obviously galling that Melbourne get all the takings on the Queen's Birthday game each year, my guess is that this is part of an overall fixture which we negotiate with the AFL. By giving this game to Melbourne, it may be that other elements of the season's fixture are determined in ways which suit us. One thing's for sure, our club would not simply be 'gifting' such a massive money spinner to another club without us getting something back in return. On that basis, I'm comfortable with the current arrangement, until I hear disquiet about it emanating from the Olympic Park precinct.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:51 am

Stop QB games altogether .. Let some other club play Melbourne's GF!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:09 am

Ideally, I would prefer us to rotate the fixture annually so Melbourne are not the only financial beneficiaries of it.

Although, I'm probably in a minority, but I do like the annual Queens Birthday match and I would be disappointed if we abandoned it completely.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:21 am

ad4eva wrote:
What are origins of this game?

How did it come about that it was to be a Melbourne/Collingwood fixture?

How did it come about that Melbourne claim it as their own each year?

It came about, way, way back in the bloody 1950s, when I was a wee lad. I am totally over this QB bullshit game, over it. It has become not just the deees only GF, it has now turned into a very anti Collingwood game, due in no small part to this big freeze thing. Look, I really like Daniher, great guy, very brave, great cause, but the whole day, due to media hype, has turned into an anti Pies day, we are now seen as the bad boys, the enemy of Neil and his Dees. Do it for Neil is all we hear, rammed down the dees throats, and its most unfair. Daniher was a dons player, he also coached the dockers, not just the dees, how come this has turned into a total deees day with us the big bad boys, it was never meant to be that, I'm sure Neil would not go along with it, as he did speak to our players pre game too. But don't tell me the umps were not caught up in all that media Melbourne hype, their bias against us was just breathtaking.

Get rid of the QB game, hopefully it will die when we become a republic, the old Queen looks like nursing home material now, Charles looks mournful, hes nearly 70 himself, he wont be King. Move the holiday to the day we gave aborigines the vote, and actually recognised them as people, not fauna, as we did for many decades. Stuff the dees, stuff their QB game, time to move on and get rid of this ancient useless biased tradition. Exclamation

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:31 am

Piesnchess wrote:
Do it for Neil is all we hear, rammed down the dees throats, and its most unfair. Daniher was a dons player, he also coached the dockers, not just the dees, how come this has turned into a total deees day with us the big bad boys, it was never meant to be that, I'm sure Neil would not go along with it, as he did speak to our players pre game too.

Neale never coached Fremantle. He only coached Melbourne from 1998 to 2007.

Lorelei Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:50 pm

Update - http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/collingwood/collingwood-considering-reclaiming-share-of-queens-birthday-blockbuster-from-melbourne/news-story/b3c78c1b9ed41f64d99727c3bcc28a0c

**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**

Floreat Pica
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:03 pm

At last we have a crack back at those stinking toffs!

www.facebook/the hybernators
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:26 pm

Obviously the master of deflection MM passed on a tip to Ed on the weeknd, distract the plebs from a piss poor season and this is the outcome
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:28 pm

Culprit wrote:
Obviously the master of deflection MM passed on a tip to Ed on the weeknd, distract the plebs from a piss poor season and this is the outcome

I think it's a great idea though.It's about time we stopped being a cash cow for other clubs and started making some of that money for ourselves.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:52 pm

doriswilgus wrote:
Culprit wrote:

I think it's a great idea though.It's about time we stopped being a cash cow for other clubs and started making some of that money for ourselves.
Should have happened years ago, I just question the timing of the announcement.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:05 pm

I hate the QB game. Waste of a public holiday. Crap weather. Give it to someone else for the love of god!
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:59 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
I hate the QB game. Waste of a public holiday. Crap weather. Give it to someone else for the love of god!

Speak for yourself. I havn't missed one in years. It will be much better being a Pies home game.

Being a winter sport there is a good chance it will be cold.

ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:00 pm

The article from the Herald-Sun, which may be pay walled for some:

MELBOURNE champion Garry Lyon says the Demons will be eternally grateful for the generosity Collingwood has shown over their Queen’s Birthday arrangements.

Lyon said the Demons should thank the Pies “from the bottom of our hearts” for being allowed to host the annual blockbuster since 2001.

The Herald Sun on Tuesday night revealed the Pies are now reconsidering the deal.

The game, which is worth up to $900,000, drew 70,000 people in Round 12

Former Demons’ captain Lyon said the Pies were within their rights to take back hosting rights every second year.

Lyon said Collingwood should be applauded for its generosity over the past two decades, helping raise vital funds for the Demons throughout one of its toughest periods.

“Anyway you cut it – whether you like Collingwood or don’t like, it’s a fantastic thing to have done. It should never be forgotten,” Lyon said on SEN Breakfast.

“If Melbourne are starting to stand on their own two feet again and draw big crowds, if they want to go back to the share – one-year on, one-year off – then I would think that you would turn around to Collingwood and say, ‘from the bottom of our hearts, we thank you for what you’ve been able to do for us.’

“If they were ever in the same situation and the Demons were travelling well, then I’m sure they’d off the same sort of deal.”

Essendon icon Tim Watson agreed Collingwood was entitled to take back its lucrative share of the hosting rights.

“I can’t see any reason why that can’t take place,” Watson said.

Collingwood will formalise its position in next year’s fixture requests in part because of the funds the powerhouse club already contributes to rivals through the AFL’s equalisation policies.

The Queen’s Birthday match is worth $800,000-$900,000 to the home team, helping Melbourne raise vital funds throughout one of the darkest periods in the club’s history.

Significantly, Melbourne is now much less reliant on the yearly cash injection from the Queen’s Birthday blockbuster as the club eyes its fourth-straight profit under chief executive Peter Jackson.

The Queen’s Birthday contest has become one of the most popular on the calendar — more than 70,000 fans watched the Dees win their fourth-straight match against Collingwood in Round 12 this year.

Melbourne has built the game into a marquee fixture which has helped Melbourne great Neale Daniher raise more than $15 million for motor neurone disease research under the “Big Freeze at the G” banner.

The Demons noted the significance of the Queen’s Birthday game when declaring an operating profit of $720,000 last year.

“... Over 330,000 people attended home games this year — an increase of more than 72,000 from 2015,” president Glen Bartlett and fellow directors reported in the club’s 2016 annual accounts.

“In particular the club hosted significant crowds of over 60,000 for the Anzac Eve game against Richmond and the Queen’s Birthday game against Collingwood, which was also the second `Freeze at the G’ event raising funds for Motor Neurone Disease research.”

MCG crowd figures are expected to increase in coming seasons with the young Dees on the cusp of their first finals appearance in 11 years.

Collingwood’s rethink would redirect a significant chunk of the Queen’s Birthday money back into the Magpies’ coffers as it conducts a sweeping review of club-wide operations led by businessman Peter Murphy.

The Pies and Dees could alternate hosting rights or enter a gate-share agreement similar to the deal Collingwood has with Essendon for the Anzac Day blockbuster.

The latter model means the away team gets a set portion of the gate receipts from the blockbuster every season.

Collingwood would not comment on the issue.

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire orchestrated the initial deal with Melbourne to help build the rivalry with the Demons in the key timeslot.

The move also helped lock-in an extra away game for Collingwood at the MCG.

There was a push to strip the Queen’s Birthday rights from Melbourne in 2011 amid its on-field woes and poor attendances but McGuire resisted the move.

“We want to do the right thing by helping Melbourne and maximising the benefits for the whole competition,” McGuire said at the time.

“In fact, we’ve lobbied the AFL hard to maintain the game as Melbourne’s home game.”

ETA: I know the guy who was responsible, it was his idea for MEL to have the Home game plus all the gate takings. He was the CEO of MEL at the time (also a Dees supporter).
The reason was the blockbuster games/rivalry these 2 teams had in the 50s/60s, but that is no longer relevant anymore.

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:41 pm

Dump the whole friggin concept, its past its use by date, and we get royally screwed by the yellow maggots, this year was an absolute disgusting joke, the ump reamed us from go to whoa. Stuff the Deees, dump this shit now, let them play someone else, see how the bastards like that LOL

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:53 pm

Dumping it would be dumb. We did all the work to bake the cake, it's time to get a fair slice of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: