Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Travis & his mental health

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Troppo 

standing on VB tins in the outer at Vic Park

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:46 pm
Post subject: Travis & his mental healthReply with quote

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-22/travis-cloke-taking-break-from-afl-due-to-mental-health/8644012

I was concerned to read this today ... and regardless of the varying opinions that Nicksters may have about the Cloke laddie, no one likes to see a champion athlete laid low like this.

We had a similar situation very recently with one of our own and, hopefully as with that outcome, we'll see Travis back on the paddock sooner than later.

Mental health and top performers irrespective of what sport is involved has always been the 'elephant in the room' and hopefully we are now able to address the manifold issues that stress and expectations exert on people and hold out some hope for improvement for today's players and tomorrow's recruits ...

Good luck Trav ...

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Why modern footballers choose to make private matters like this public is a mystery almost as great as the fact that "mental health issues" have suddenly become so commonplace, when they were unheard of in this competition until recently. Anyway, good luck to an old hero.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:11 pm

I deal with people on a daily basis with bigger mental issues than those facing AFL footballers. Let's hope Travis sorts out whatever is going on.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:16 pm

Hope he sorts it out.

back in the old days, he'd be told to harden up or get over it, or wouldn't have said anything.

I can clearly see that the pendulum will swing to far on this disclosing of mental health issues, but it will self correct and if people who suffer feel freed to be open and seek help rather than bottling things up, that's a good thing

Troppo 

standing on VB tins in the outer at Vic Park

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:17 pm

Mugwump wrote:

... Why modern footballers choose to make private matters like this public is a mystery almost as great as the fact that "mental health issues" have suddenly become so commonplace, when they were unheard of in this competition until recently ...

Muggy, personally I would prefer this 'outbreak of honesty' than to see a continuation of past practices whereby an absence from the field for MH reasons would have traditionally been ascribed to 'list management' or some sort of injury issue other than MH.

AFL players are going to experience many and varied occasions where for whatever reason they cannot continue to play or give their game the 110% that clubs demand these days, so my view is that they should be allowed to own up to whatever is bothering them and take whatever measures they have to to regain their equanimity.

Some players will not wish to put themselves up for criticism irregardless of the depth of their anxiety, and will choose the 'old' ways of excusing their form fall ... in this enlightened and more accepting age we now live in, I think players should have the support of all to say ... 'not right today boss ... give me a week or two and I'll be better' ... as long as the player can demonstrate that they are consulting an appropriate professional to find their mental balance once more ...

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:24 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Why modern footballers choose to make private matters like this public is a mystery almost as great as the fact that "mental health issues" have suddenly become so commonplace, when they were unheard of in this competition until recently. Anyway, good luck to an old hero.

Different generation. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter. Apparently any publicity is good publicity.

There were signs of this in the way that he reacted to the incident in Qld when he was on holidays a few years ago so it may have been brewing for a while.

There has also been a major stress causing situation over the last year. His issues with being dropped last year, leaving the club he grew up with, going to another club in the belief that he could rekindle his career, then finding out that he just doesn't have it any more.

I hope he recovers soon, or at least manages it.

The mental health problem has always been there for top level footballers - even going back to VFL days. Back then footballers didn't want to appear soft so they just suffered and didn't talk about it. Ken Hunter was one who has spoken about what he went through years ago. Wayne Schwass is another more recent example.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:28 pm

^ Honesty is no doubt a fine thing, in its place, but being honest with those who are close to you is not he same thing as telling the entire world that you have a mental health problem. I wonder how that may play out across th rest of their lives. I also think there is a risk that we medicalise the kind of sadness or regret to while we are all susceptible, and send the wrong messages to children about what real mental health problems look like.

Anyway, whatever the wider issues, I hope he fells better soon.

mudlark 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:37 pm

I fear his dismissal from Collingwood and the commentary that followed him out the door would have had a significant affect on him.I doubt he really wanted to leave and the poor form and inability to hold his place in a team that was missing 2or 3 of their key forwards ,would surely have contributed to his condition.His last game in the wet against the Swans?? was an absolute shocker that had social media buzzing and it would have been impossible to ignore. I like Trav and I really hope he can come back soon ,but I have grave doubts that he will make it back into the seniors at Footscray. This may well be career ending.
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:37 pm

Culprit wrote:
I deal with people on a daily basis with bigger mental issues than those facing AFL footballers. Let's hope Travis sorts out whatever is going on.

Just saying that statement blows my mind. How do you possibly know what he is going through? Just because you see him on TV and he earns big bucks does not make his life issues any easier.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:38 pm

First let me state that I mean this with the greatest of respect to Travis.

I have always thought of Travis as a genuinely nice guy but I also sensed that he was not tough mentally. His father is obviously very dominate and living in this type of environment can have a profound effort on the development of young men. I resented the fact that when he was negotiating his last contract with the Pies that we were "bent over". In retrospect I feel that this was more the influence of his father than anyone else and if you reflect on old man Clokes career it certainly is not a stretch.

Unfortunately Travis could not overcome his major weakness being his accuracy in front of goal. This I believe is a reflection on his mental discipline and toughness. In a nut shell, despite the best of intensions he was not able to deliver on his extended contract despite his wish to do so.

I think Travis is a genuinely nice bloke and I certainly wish him well. He has some great qualities as a human being and in the overall scheme of things this is what matters most. Kicking a football is a career choice and is a long way down the list

Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:06 pm

Mental health issues or just trying to come to terms with his football mortality? The end of a footballers career happens to them all Trav, your time as a useful footballer expired a couple of years ago and you have been fortunate to squeeze out a couple more years chewing the fat basking in the sun. If you cannot get a game in Collingwoods forward line and now the Dogs forward line given their issues with Boyd and Redpath this season then you are probably just having trouble accepting it is over.

I look forward to the day when Collingwood hires you as our forward coach or goal kicking coach, it sounds like something we would do! Wink

MONCO: Your life.
mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:16 pm

Mental health issues have nothing to do with whether someone is mentally strong or not. In fact, people with mental health issues are in more cases than not, more mentally strong than those that don't have mental health issues, because of what they have to deal with as a result of their mental health issue.

Mental health issues are medical, like cancer, heart attack, diabetes, etc are, in nature and are caused by chemical imbalances.

Some people are pre disposed to mental health issues due to their genetic make up. Others encounter issues in their life, which through what they go through in dealing with these issues results in a chemical imbalance.

It is a sign of ignorance and a lack of understanding for people to say just suck it up and get over it, with respect to mental health issues. You wouldn't say that to someone with cancer. Cancer is a medical issue and so is a mental health issue.

Jeff Kennett and Beyond Blue have done a fantastic job in increasing the awareness of the causes of mental health issues, but by some of the comments on this site with respect to Travis and Alex, there is still a lot of people that don't understand that mental health issues are medical in nature.

I wish Travis all the best and I hope he gets better very soon.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:40 pm

I don't think his domineering Demir Father would be helping the whole scenario, puts too much pressure on him. Clokey should retire, he was never going to make it at the premiership doggies.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:46 pm

I remember watching Trav a couple of years ago in one of those games where things just weren't going right for him.
Despite this he never stopped presenting, chasing and tackling.
The chasing was futile as he was too slow but he did it anyway.
The tackling was, as always, fierce.
I always felt he did his best for Collingwood.

I hope he gets all the support he needs at the Doggies.
I hope Collingwood supporters remember the great service he gave to the club and show their support as well.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:03 pm

Culprit wrote:

I'm sorry, but how do you know this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: