Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Border Control (Saudi Arabia issues demands to Qatar)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

14% in the U.K. Compared to ca 5% of the population. Could have many root causes of course but it adds to a bad story overall. A lot of our "martyrs" seem to have been radicalized in prison, too. I suppose you'd have to correct for socioeconomic and other factors to get a sense of whether criminality is disproportionate and the possible causes.

Last edited by Mugwump on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:29 pm

Do you have the link there, Stui? Those certainly do seem to be surprising statistics.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:31 pm

David wrote:
Do you have the link there, Stui? Those certainly do seem to be surprising statistics.

The stat is in here FWIW. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/prison-tension-as-muslim-inmates-in-maximum-security-jails-are-given-microwaves-for-ramadan/news-story/ec5dd9825fcf5ae31494ed04b1e6c4a2

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:05 pm

Thanks for that. They don't source either statistic, but I'm guessing the 9% figure is more well-established than the 20% one, which may be correct but is kind of presented as hearsay.

Seeing as how the vast majority of those prisoners would be doing time for crimes that have nothing to do with their religious beliefs, I think we have to look elsewhere for a cause – I'd be interested to see whether such figures correlate with higher proportions of Muslims suffering from socioeconomic disadvantage or participating in immigrant gang activity, for instance.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:40 am

I also saw something in the Daily Mail which quoted a similar percentage of muslims in the high security prisons in England. That one also made mention of the number of inmates converting to Islam while in prison.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:52 am

^^Islam is the poor persons religion. The woe is me religion.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:53 am

What else is the poor persons religion?
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:09 am

Not all the extremist Muslims in the High Risk Management Correctional Centre, Supermax’s official name, were convicted of plotting terrorist acts.

Some of them are murderers and originally from Christian families, who converted to Islam behind bars.

But as The Australian reported, Islam has become an obsession for the violent inmates who practice the religion inside Supermax.

Inside Australia’s ‘Super mosque’ prison where guards fear radical Muslims are plotting terrorist acts

For this reason Supermax, a jail inside NSW”s grimmest correctional complex 195km southwest of Sydney, is often referred to as “Super mosque”.

And as the national newspaper exclusively revealed, even the state’s prisons commissioner Peter Severin acknowledges that Supermax and its majority of inmates who are either convicted of terrorism offences or on remand awaiting trial, is a hotbed of radical Islam.

Mr Severin has recommended new laws be drawn up to detain up to 11 convicted terrorists beyond their prison terms.

One of the first Pendennis men to walk free from jail was Khaled Sharrouf, released after four years for having bomb-making materials in 2009.

In 2013, he fled Australia on a borrowed passport to fight with ISIS in Syria.

It is unclear whether Sharrouf, who took his family to Syria and famously posted online photographs of his son holding the severed heads of ISIS victims, has died in battle.

It is believed his comrade-in-arms, Mohamed Elomar, did perish in a rocket attack in Syria or Iraq.

http://www.news.com.au/news/inside-australias-supermosque-prison-where-guards-fear-radical-muslims-are-plotting-terrorist-acts/news-story/a83bbc4be2840f735ec212f2978b307d

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:12 am

But some are.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:15 am

FactCheck Q&A: do refugees cost Australia $100m a year in welfare, with an unemployment rate of 97%?

The unemployment rate is calculated as the number of unemployed as a percentage of the number who have a job plus those unemployed and looking for work.

That means the non-employment rate – i.e those who are unemployed plus those outside the labour force altogether – is 72% for men and 90% for women, giving an overall non-employment rate of close to 81%.

Employment increases over time. So the ABS survey also shows that in 2013 only 19% had a job, but over the 10 years covered by the survey, 36% had a job at some time.

The position on the costs of refugees to the social security system is more complicated.

The ABS survey shows that in 2013 around 59% of refugees and former refugees had government social security benefits as their main source of income

http://theconversation.com/factcheck-qanda-do-refugees-cost-australia-100m-a-year-in-welfare-with-an-unemployment-rate-of-97-54395

ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:21 pm

One of the first Pendennis men to walk free from jail was Khaled Sharrouf, released after four years for having bomb-making materials in 2009.

In 2013, he fled Australia on a borrowed passport to fight with ISIS in Syria.

It is unclear whether Sharrouf, who took his family to Syria and famously posted online photographs of his son holding the severed heads of ISIS victims, has died in battle.

It is believed his comrade-in-arms, Mohamed Elomar, did perish in a rocket attack in Syria or Iraq.

http://www.news.com.au/news/inside-australias-supermosque-prison-where-guards-fear-radical-muslims-are-plotting-terrorist-acts/news-story/a83bbc4be2840f735ec212f2978b307d[/quote]

Good idea. Remove all protection stauts to Sharrouf and his families,They should never ever be allowed back and legislate to stop the inevitable asylum lawyer industry form going to court. If he dies, his problem.

I agree that the figures can be distrorted. A lot of the aboriginal kids follow choc Mundine who followed Muhammed Ali. The majority when they get out will abandon it when they can't eat McDonalds, Can't go to a pub and the girlfriend tells him to bugger off when he says she has to wear a burqua.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:34 pm

Have you seen this link in the article, Skids?

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-13/peter-dutton-defends-work-rights-process-for-asylum-seekers/6389996?pfmredir=sm

Quote:
Immigration Minister Peter Dutton has defended the process for granting work rights to asylum seekers living in the community.

Around 24,000 asylum seekers who arrived under the former government are yet to be processed and those who want to work need approval from Mr Dutton.

The Greens and refugee advocates both argue that the process is inefficient and say asylum seekers should automatically be given work rights.

But Mr Dutton said the process was working and that he would continue to process each individual case, despite the task being estimated to take until 2018 to complete.

Otherwise, there are many reasons refugees might struggle to find work, including unrecognised qualifications (probably the biggest one), poor English skills, mental health issues including PTSD, disability or dependent family members. I don't know if you're trying to imply that refugees are lazy dole bludgers who don't want to work, but I expect that the opposite is true: most presumably want to work as much as the average Australian-born citizen, if not more. The answer to statistics like those must surely be "how can we give refugees easier pathways and better incentives to work", not "refugees are by nature a drain on the system who don't give anything back".

It's really saddening to see so much uninformed prejudice on this topic.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:50 pm

ronrat wrote:
The majority when they get out will abandon it when they can't eat McDonalds, Can't go to a pub and the girlfriend tells him to bugger off when he says she has to wear a burqua.

I know you're probably being at least somewhat tongue-in-cheek here, but all these references to 'burqas' in this thread make me wonder how many people even know what a burqa is. Apparently well under 1% (or even 0.1%) of Muslim women in the west actually wear niqabs (the black full body and face coverings that most people are referring to when they talk about burqas), let alone actual burqas, and both are highly culturally specific. So the chances of an Aboriginal convert's girlfriend putting one on are somewhere between negligible and non-existent.

https://www.latrobe.edu.au/news/articles/2011/opinion/australias-burqa-fallacy

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:48 pm

Sweden: Leaked police report lists eight new No-Go Areas, now 23 in total
June 12, 2017

There exist parallel structures of society, police experience difficulties in fulfilling its mission, which is partly due to an unwillingness of the population to participate in legal proceedings, proximity to other vulnerable areas, and violent religious (i.e. ‘Islamic’) extremism is rife.

https://theoldcontinent.eu/sweden-no-go/

Germany: Migrant Sex Crimes Double in One Year

June 12, 2017

An annual report — Criminality in the Context of Migration (Kriminalität im Kontext von Zuwanderung) — published by the Federal Criminal Police Office (Bundeskriminalamt, BKA) on April 27 revealed an increase of nearly 500% in migrant sex crimes (defined as sexual assaults, rapes and sexual abuse of children) during the past four years.

The report showed that migrants (Zuwanderer, defined as asylum seekers, refugees and illegal immigrants) committed 3,404 sex crimes in 2016 — around nine per day. This was a 102% increase over 2015, when migrants committed 1,683 sex crimes — around five per day. By comparison, migrants committed 949 sex crimes in 2014, around three per day; and 599 sex crimes in 2013, around two per day.

According to the report, the main offenders in 2016 were from: Syria (up 318.7% from 2015); Afghanistan (up 259.3%); Iraq (up 222.7%); Pakistan (up 70.3%); Iran (up 329.7%); Algeria (up 100%); and Morocco (up 115.7%).

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/10522/germany-migrant-sex-crimes

Meanwhile... In Poland.

No terror threat in Poland: Interior Minister

05.06.2017 08:30

There is no terror threat in Poland, the country's Interior Minister Mariusz Błaszczak has said.

Błaszczak added that Poland was different from Western Europe because “we are not engaged in multicultural policy or political correctness”.

“The current government changed the policy of the [previous government], which was based on an open door for refugees. As such, all those mistakes which ended in tragic events in the west of Europe did not affect Poland,” Błaszczak said.

He added that Europe's migration policy should be changed.

The head of Poland's governing Law and Justice (PiS) party, Jarosław Kaczyński, said that a war is being waged against Europe.

“Either Europe … will get up off its knees and start to seriously consider counteraction measures, but that means rejecting political correctness, or these types of incidents will continue,” Kaczyński said, adding that Poland should expand its armed forces.

http://thenews.pl/1/9/Artykul/310193,No-terror-threat-in-Poland-Interior-Minister-

Where's that head of ASIO chap for his latest comment Question

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:08 pm

David wrote:
ronrat wrote:
The majority when they get out will abandon it when they can't eat McDonalds, Can't go to a pub and the girlfriend tells him to bugger off when he says she has to wear a burqua.

I know you're probably being at least somewhat tongue-in-cheek here, but all these references to 'burqas' in this thread make me wonder how many people even know what a burqa is. Apparently well under 1% (or even 0.1%) of Muslim women in the west actually wear niqabs (the black full body and face coverings that most people are referring to when they talk about burqas), let alone actual burqas, and both are highly culturally specific. So the chances of an Aboriginal convert's girlfriend putting one on are somewhere between negligible and non-existent.

https://www.latrobe.edu.au/news/articles/2011/opinion/australias-burqa-fallacy

Personally I reckon ban the full face covering in public for everyone.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7   

Jump to: