Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Anyone understand that Roos has been signed for the next 2?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Roos is a family man and will not sacrifice what others may sacrifice in order to coach. I don't believe this rumour.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:53 pm

Johnno75 wrote:
It is a joke that Moore was our only tall target up forward. Although l quite like the leap he has at the centre bounces.

The biggest problem is when Moore does the lead up role to the wing and our targets are Elliot, Faz and Blair.

Imagine the shit you would cop if you were a coach doing that at the lower grade levels.

I think people have to recognise that this is not Bucks' preferred set up either. His plan was to use Cox and/or White alongside Darcy. Sadly Cox has, if anything, gone backwards in his development, and until he starts dominating VFL games - as a forward - he won't be back in the seniors. I'm ready to declare the US experiment a failure - because of his age. If he was a young emerging goliath at 21 I'd say stick with him and give him time to learn the game, but he is already 26 and by the time he becomes a good player, he'll be just about ready to retire. I think that when White is available again he will return to the side, which will make us far more balanced and relieve some pressure off Darcy. So atm, Bucks is simply making the best of the form players he has at his disposal.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:56 pm

thebaldfacts wrote:
To be honest, doubt that they would have signed him this early. At best, there may be an understanding that subject to certain outcomes.

Don't really see them signing anyone know whilst the season is still alive.

If I recall rightly, Eddie was sighted meeting with Malthouse in Perth for coffee around May 1999. For what it's worth.

But I don't believe this one. For what that's worth as well.

Last edited by Cam on Sun May 28, 2017 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:58 pm

If true, that would be a betrayal of the incumbent of almost Damian Drum proportions...

Not that I care for the current coach, but that kind of move would be a throwback to the very worst moments of our history, just throwing money at a big name without any substantive due process involved.

Personally, I suspect (and hope) that whoever told the OP this was telling a tall tale...

matrix10 

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:01 pm
Post subject: Re: Anyone understand that Roos has been signed for the nextReply with quote

Albert Parker wrote:
I was told today that Roos has inked a deal this week for the next 2 years on huge money ($2m).
Board will announce need for due process etc, but it is a fait accompli.

Backs up a view I was told about one month ago that Roos was the board's choice. A deal now would be very Eddie-like, backing up from Gubby Allan.

I think that Darcy Moore will be relieved. Roos won't allow him to be the only tall marking forward as well as back up ruckman.

What are people's thoughts?

I think the success of such a move will strongly depend upon whoever he nominates as his lieutenant. i gather that Goodwin did a massive amount of the work at Melbourne when under Roos.

As senior coach? Or as a mentor/support for Bucks/footy department

If senior coach, that is disgraceful- he rode on the 'coachtails' of Neeld at Melbourne- who did all the hard yards after turning up and seeing how much of a basket case the club was, and then has left Melbourne as a slightly better club, on the back of plenty of high draft picks
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:07 pm

As others have said, I call utter bullshit on this
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:07 pm

Cam wrote:
thebaldfacts wrote:
To be honest, doubt that they would have signed him this early. At best, there may be an understanding that subject to certain outcomes.

Don't really see them signing anyone know whilst the season is still alive.

If I recall rightly, Eddie was sighted meeting with Malthouse in Perth for coffee around May 1999. For what it's worth.....

We're signing Malthouse again? Shocked

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:11 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:
It is a joke that Moore was our only tall target up forward. Although l quite like the leap he has at the centre bounces.

The biggest problem is when Moore does the lead up role to the wing and our targets are Elliot, Faz and Blair.

Imagine the shit you would cop if you were a coach doing that at the lower grade levels.

I think people have to recognise that this is not Bucks' preferred set up either. His plan was to use Cox and/or White alongside Darcy. Sadly Cox has, if anything, gone backwards in his development, and until he starts dominating VFL games - as a forward - he won't be back in the seniors. I'm ready to declare the US experiment a failure - because of his age. If he was a young emerging goliath at 21 I'd say stick with him and give him time to learn the game, but he is already 26 and by the time he becomes a good player, he'll be just about ready to retire. I think that when White is available again he will return to the side, which will make us far more balanced and relieve some pressure off Darcy. So atm, Bucks is simply making the best of the form players he has at his disposal.

+ 1 !!

Guaranteed if either Mayne or Cox played today and they didn't fire a shot, there would be posters demanding an explanation as to why they were given another chance.
White with his limitations and all, is our best bet as the next tall in the forward line ( particularly now they have discovered that Darcy offers a little chop out in the ruck now and again )
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:20 pm

Don't believe it.
Ed wouldn't be that stupid.
I would take Roos over Bux any day of the week.
But i just don't believe it.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:51 pm

john b wrote:
Yeah yeah. Just like the Kevin sheedy will coach us back in the 90s. BS

That would be good, too. Maybe we won't finish last and draft Fraser this time. Maybe we'll keep pick 3 and take Pavlich with it and win in 02 and 03.
BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:03 pm
Post subject: Re: Anyone understand that Roos has been signed for the nextReply with quote

Presti35 wrote:
Albert Parker wrote:
I was told today that Roos has inked a deal this week for the next 2 years on huge money ($2m).
Board will announce need for due process etc, but it is a fait accompli.

Dew?

There are better coaches than Mr Snooze Roos going around.

Agree that Dew is due...

Number 35 

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:08 pm

"Nathan Buckley is the Chosen One. He has given his life to Football. He has been a Good role model for kids of all ages and backgrounds of the land from Coast to Coast! He was once a Great Warrior for THIS Army and DESERVES the respect of every SINGLE person posting on this site. ( Trolls included! ) He will lead this group toward the Holy Grail, IT is written in the Stars for Nathan. And so Nothing else Matters."
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:28 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:

The missing name in this discussion is Keeffe. Bucks and Hine obviously thought that Keeffe was an essential player even after two years out of the game - that's why they elevated him immediately after he became eligible to play while leaving Josh Thomas on the rookie list. This season he has been played both as a back and as a forward. Yet when Reid and White are injured and there are form question marks over Schade and Cox, Keeffe is not selected. I was appalled to find that our only genuine talls at either end were Moore and Dunn. That is two less than we should have had. I suspect Keeffe's failure to regain his pre-drug form by round 10 was probably a bigger disappointment to Bucks than White's injury or Cox's failure to develop.

I am also not ready to declare the US experiment a failure. I take the point about his age but remember it took the Canadian rugby player Mike Pyke years to learn the game properly but at the age of 28 he played in a Swans Premiership team,

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:51 pm

Good points Dr Pie. I thought Keeffe would be in our team too, and like Bucks no doubt, I'm disappointed he seems to be struggling in the VFL. I hope you're right about Coxy, but I'll be shocked if he makes it.
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:28 am

Frankly,way too good to be true, plus Roos has said he won't take a role where the incumbent is unaware or being 'screwed'. (he might see it that way, but I believe Bucks has harmed the club for a good while by not taking any responsibility and not resigning after 2013). It will take someone great to get real confidence back into this side.

If by some faint chance it's true (he does like a challenge, particularly where he sees a good list poorly led), then I will be a very very happy camper indeed, nearly as happy as when I heard Ed had signed Malthouse, even though I was heartbroken for Shawry.

1/It's the best possible move CFC could make. What Roos is good at is lifting sides mentally, he's a highly intelligent guy, and knows what guys need (and that they are individuals!)

2/He has a great record, and even if he's not the best coach on earth it don't matter, most people think he's great, and our list is excellent, they just lack confidence. He would see that this is a no brainer.

3/Its the only way Eddie could survive the Buckley Catastrophe. If he gets an assistant or a 'standard' coach people would ask why he isn't leaving with Bucks.

4/ It actually allows the possibility (though remote given Buckley's ego) that Buck's could stay. I'd be happy if Roos took over for 2-3 years while Buckley stays as "training coach", or even "co-coach"... Whatever. If he then learns how to coach match days, which he didnt at all under MM, he might get the senior role back, but yeah, unlikely.

5/ It means one of the best young would-be coaches comes in to be the 'heir'. You couldnt have a Bomber T or someone like that come in as an "apprentice", and it would be a plum job for any young guy taking over a team brought back to their best by "Mister Fixit".

6/ Roos is well aware that bringing a Collingwood side full of talent, and with unlimited resources back to the pointy end of the finals would make him a legend of the game par excellence, and his next gig would cost way more expensive. He says 2 years, but if he got us up there in contention after 2, he'd hang around try for another flag. It's hard to be up there with the greatest with only the one flag under his belt, that leaves him alongside Alan Joyce & (God help him) Chris Scott.

Get it done and I'll forgive you for the spectacular clusterf*ck that was the succession Ed. Give Bucks another contract & I'll hunt you down with a scattergun loaded with Green baby poop!

I don't buy it at all, but I pray to Allah, Buddha, Kali, and Odin that its true.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9   

Jump to: