Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our Best Back 6 on current list

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROB 

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:45 pm
Post subject: Our Best Back 6 on current listReply with quote

B: Josh Smith, Lynden Dunn,Tyson Goldsack
HB: Jeremy Howe, Ben Reid, Matthew Scharenberg

I reckon this is potentially the best re-bounding back line in the AFL on their day. I am not omitting Maynard, but moving him up the ground where I reckon he will shine. Thoughts?

mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

For mine Goldsack would be omitted for Langdon. Langdon seems to be a forgotten player on this site. Easily in our best 22.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:48 pm

Don't worry - there will still be people doubting Langdon when he plays his 250th game and is the Captain.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:38 pm
Post subject: Re: Our Best Back 6 on current listReply with quote

ROB wrote:

I reckon this is potentially the best re-bounding back line in the AFL on their day. I am not omitting Maynard, but moving him up the ground where I reckon he will shine. Thoughts?

Need a speedier back so would swap in Varcoe for Goldsack

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:44 pm

You forgot Ramsay, too.
ROB 

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:49 pm

inxs88 wrote:
ROB wrote:

Need a speedier back so would swap in Varcoe for Goldsack

Varcoe on a wing for mine.

ROB 

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:50 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
You forgot Ramsay, too.

Rotating off the bench

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:29 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
You forgot Ramsay, too.

No he didn't!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:30 am

ROB wrote:

I want Scharenberg to do really well. He can't be in our best 22 yet as he has barely played a game. Your basing this on potential not on evidence.

ROB 

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:48 am

watt price tully wrote:
ROB wrote:

I want Scharenberg to do really well. He can't be in our best 22 yet as he has barely played a game. Your basing this on potential not on evidence.

I did say potentially - much based on form in the VFL, but you are technically correct.

ROB 

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:01 am

mooretreloar wrote:
For mine Goldsack would be omitted for Langdon. Langdon seems to be a forgotten player on this site. Easily in our best 22.

How about this scenerio - Langdon becomes fit again and we slot him in the backline without moving Goldsack - his form is good enough to keep his spot in my opinion. But we make the bold move of putting Howe back up forward to play CHF. I know he is not as tall as a true CHF, but Fasolo is not the answer. Howe reads the play very well, you just have to look at how many intercept marks he takes each game - and it is that marking ability that makes him our best option (that's why Reid was moved back there recently in my opinion). And Howe can kick. It's actually much easier to name the best back 6 at the moment than having any hope of naming the best forward 6 I reckon. Sure, Moore and Elliott are a shoe in, but then who...

mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:37 am

^^
Bucks does not like messing with his back 7 and despite initially saying Howe will never play back when he first came to the club, he has now pretty much said the opposite.

Personally, I don't mind it. The question is going to be, are we going to risk playing Reid forward when he returns from injury? His soft tissue injuries disappeared in the last couple of seasons playing solely as a back, and the week we play him as a permanent forward he does a soft tissue injury.

So, if Reid plays back, which I think he must, and Howe stays back, then Goldy may be the one to move forward. He has done the role as a defensive forward before, so playing forward is not foreign to him. He also is a very good kick at goal.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:02 pm

Langdon Dunn Howe

Varcoe Reid Sinclair ( the '' new and improved '' 2016 version )

Scharenberg still needs to prove himself. Maynard is thereabouts and Goldsack is probably still versatile enough to be in the 22, which means he can go back if required.

For mine, there isn't much difference between Maynard and Sinclair ( except one gets injured and other doesn't ) I just think that Sinclair pays more attention to his opponent than Maynard in the HB position.

The best teams in the league have running HBFs or 90 metre players. There has never been a greater need for HBFs to win their contest and then move the ball forward quickly and deeply to allow their own defence to set up again ( and hopefully hit the target downfield )
Its very difficult to win games of footy without QUICK penetrating rebound from HB because you are usually just land the ball in the lap of the extra defender if he is given time to set up position.
You just cant have HBs in the modern game who do not offer any line breaking offence.

And I have now realised that 4 of my starting 6 aren't even playing this week. Who would have thought.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:16 pm

ROB wrote:

Good post,Rob.

I don't want to get caught up in footy terminology but I see your back six as more of a good ' intercepting '' back six.
Guys like Dunn, Howe and Scharenberg are very good at reading the play and holding up an attack from the opposition but I don't see a lot of quick transitional offensive rebound in those six. They are more '' stop and prop '' players rather than run and gun.

Take a look at GWS HBFs, Wilson and Williams. They don't even play through the mid fielders when they get it. Pittard at Port is another one.

I would also like to see Maynard tried elsewhere but as always, we seem to be patching up our back six, so he is likely to remain there in short term at least.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:22 pm

Maynard was excellent last week, especially early: he was instrumental in 4 of the first 8 goals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: