Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tom Phillips - Rising Star

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:37 pm
Post subject: Tom Phillips - Rising StarReply with quote

He's under 21 years of age, he played less than 10 games last year (so he qualifies) and he's been damn consistent this year. C'mon AFL, give the gong to Tom !
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:43 pm
Post subject: Re: Tom Phillips - Rising StarReply with quote

sixpoints wrote:
He's under 21 years of age, he played less than 10 games last year (so he qualifies) and he's been damn consistent this year. C'mon AFL, give the gong to Tom !

I had him in our worst few in most of the first half and he must have heard me yelling at the Ponsford stand. Phillips played a lot better in the last part of the 2nd & second half.

He is a little slow at times in-terms of decision making & most weeks is being caught out on his left where he is a bit predictable & opposition can smother him.

However, like a lot of the team he lifted & played better as the team & the game changed

mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy deserves a nomination, he has had a very good year.

For those that bag Hine, Phillips, Wills and Crocker were all late 50's and early 60's draft picks in the 2015 draft and all will be long term Collingwood players. Josh Smith was a rookie pick in the 2015 rookie draft and he will also be a long term Collingwood player. Thus, given that we gave away our first round pick for Ads, Hine did a sensational job in the 2015 drafts to select four players that will impact Collingwood on field for years to come.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:02 pm

mooretreloar wrote:

For those that bag Hine, Phillips, Wills and Crocker were all late 50's and early 60's draft picks in the 2015 draft and all will be long term Collingwood players. Josh Smith was a rookie pick in the 2015 rookie draft and he will also be a long term Collingwood player. Thus, given that we gave away our first round pick for Ads, Hine did a sensational job in the 2015 drafts to select four players that will impact Collingwood on field for years to come.

Of those 4, I'd only back Phillips in to be a long term player for us. Crocker looks like a good VFL player, and that may turn out to be the case for Wills too, though he could still make it. Let's hope he does. As good as Smith has been, I doubt he'd get a game in a top 4 side, and that should be our benchmark.
mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:14 pm

Of the 4, the one that I think will be the best is Crocker, followed by Phillips, Smith and then Wills.

Phillips will be a long termer, as he is an endurance beast and a team needs at least two of these. 150+ games

The only knock on Smitty is his leg speed. He is a smart footballer, he makes good decisions and is a very good user. He also follows the coach's instructions to the letter. Thus, he would get a game in most sides in the comp. 100+ games

What Crocker did at AFL level in his first season in an undermanned side due to injury was superb. It is only injury that has not seen him play at AFL level in 2017. 150+ games

I rate Wills, but he has stiff competition for a spot in our midfield. I would like him to eventually push Greenwood out, as his skill level is superior to Greenwood. 50+ games, due to him being a little older than the others.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:37 pm

mooretreloar wrote:

This is how I like to rate young players performances. When you are a pick 50 or more, you come with flaws. The fact that he has played as many games as he has at 19, is a credit to him. His fitness allows him to be involved in more contests than most, so we will always see what he does wrong.

His challenge like most late picks is to understand the need to squeeze every last bit out of themselves if they want to make it.
I reckon we currently have about 8 more like him on our list and if half of them go on to improve their footy as late picks or rookie picks, we have done ok.
Time will tell, Phillips included.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:54 pm

sixpoints wrote:

Mrs Phillips?

inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:11 pm

He was horrible for 3 quarters
piester 

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:21 pm

He got it! http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2017-05-22/young-pie-named-rising-star
mooretreloar 

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:27 pm

Well deserved, Tommy. Has had a great year and it is good to see it be recognised.
ROB 

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:28 pm

piester wrote:
He got it! http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2017-05-22/young-pie-named-rising-star

Great choice - not sure how some got their opinions so wrong - he was brilliant.

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:50 pm

dalyc wrote:
sixpoints wrote:

Mrs Phillips?

That's funny!
No I'm not Mrs Phillips......I just made the call and am very pleased the AFL agreed. Well done to Tom. Let's hope he kicks on as a result of this acknowledgment.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:51 pm

I don't understand some of the negative comments by some Nicksters towards Phillips. He's still only 20 and has averaged 20 disposals a game this year and on Saturday had 24 disposals, laid 6 tackles and had 3 inside 50s. Not bad for a kid who's played 20 or thereabouts senior games.
princem007 

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:54 pm

I wrote Saturday night is tom phillips the worst footballer you have seen?

I now eat humble pie ! pardon the pun.

congrats Tom you are not the worst footballer I have seen.

Next..

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:13 pm

princem007 wrote:
I wrote Saturday night is tom phillips the worst footballer you have seen?

I now eat humble pie ! pardon the pun.

congrats Tom you are not the worst footballer I have seen.

Next..

Watch the replay of Ty Vickorys insipid performance on Sat night and then get back to me ; )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: